[9fans] VIA VT8237 SATA/RAID i/o errors, dma doesnt work - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] VIA VT8237 SATA/RAID i/o errors, dma doesnt work - Plan9 ; Hello, I purchased an C7 based machine with VIA VT8237 SATA/RAID: http://www2.digitalo.de/deeplink.jsp...3&EXT=SHOPPING Have 2 SATA disks attached. They are detected like normal IDE devices. The Installation of Plan9 worked fine. Created partitions and #k mirror and setup venti. I wanted ...

  1. [9fans] VIA VT8237 SATA/RAID i/o errors, dma doesnt work

    Hello,

    I purchased an C7 based machine with VIA VT8237 SATA/RAID:

    http://www2.digitalo.de/deeplink.jsp...3&EXT=SHOPPING

    Have 2 SATA disks attached. They are detected like normal IDE devices.
    The Installation of Plan9 worked fine. Created partitions and #k mirror
    and setup
    venti. I wanted to copy the arenas of my old fileserver to it and then
    later format
    fossil with the last score, but the machine fails before
    finishing/reading the first
    arena. :-(

    First, i found that DMA was disabled for both drives, so i forced it on
    with:
    echo dma on >/dev/sdC0/ctl
    echo dma on >/dev/sdD0/ctl

    ....then i get i/o errors in venti and plan9 paniced. so this was not
    such a good idea i guess...
    reformated all venti partitions and tried again several times with
    different bios options
    (without DMA, tried both bios SATA IDE and SATA RAID mode):

    - after hours of disk activity, sdD0 failed... i tried to read
    /dev/sdD0/data and got i/o error instantly and
    after reboot worked again.

    - after hours of disk activity, i see i/o-error that it cant read
    /dev/sdD0/9hal.vtbloom
    (venti bloomfilter partition 64MB). and then crashed with poolpanic.

    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...are/index.html
    shows that this
    controller should work but it doesnt for me currently.

    pci -v shows the as same ids as in the sdata.c driver.

    Is anybody using that sata controller? (with multiple SATA disks?) Do i
    miss here something?
    Are here any special BIOS options i need to get this working?

    cinap

  2. Re: [9fans] VIA VT8237 SATA/RAID i/o errors, dma doesnt work

    I have a via pc2500 mobo with that same chipset, afaik...

    I bought it very cheap thinking that it would be a great plan 9
    machine but I was not able to install it because the ide/sata
    controller did not seem to be recognized by plan 9. I was using two
    sata disks at that moment.

    Perhaps I should try again. I'll tell you how it goes...

    On Tue, Feb 5, 2008 at 8:18 AM, Kernel Panic wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I purchased an C7 based machine with VIA VT8237 SATA/RAID:
    >
    > http://www2.digitalo.de/deeplink.jsp...3&EXT=SHOPPING
    >
    > Have 2 SATA disks attached. They are detected like normal IDE devices.
    > The Installation of Plan9 worked fine. Created partitions and #k mirror
    > and setup
    > venti. I wanted to copy the arenas of my old fileserver to it and then
    > later format
    > fossil with the last score, but the machine fails before
    > finishing/reading the first
    > arena. :-(
    >
    > First, i found that DMA was disabled for both drives, so i forced it on
    > with:
    > echo dma on >/dev/sdC0/ctl
    > echo dma on >/dev/sdD0/ctl
    >
    > ...then i get i/o errors in venti and plan9 paniced. so this was not
    > such a good idea i guess...
    > reformated all venti partitions and tried again several times with
    > different bios options
    > (without DMA, tried both bios SATA IDE and SATA RAID mode):
    >
    > - after hours of disk activity, sdD0 failed... i tried to read
    > /dev/sdD0/data and got i/o error instantly and
    > after reboot worked again.
    >
    > - after hours of disk activity, i see i/o-error that it cant read
    > /dev/sdD0/9hal.vtbloom
    > (venti bloomfilter partition 64MB). and then crashed with poolpanic.
    >
    > http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...are/index.html
    > shows that this
    > controller should work but it doesnt for me currently.
    >
    > pci -v shows the as same ids as in the sdata.c driver.
    >
    > Is anybody using that sata controller? (with multiple SATA disks?) Do i
    > miss here something?
    > Are here any special BIOS options i need to get this working?
    >
    > cinap

  3. Re: [9fans] VIA VT8237 SATA/RAID i/o errors, dma doesnt work

    > ...then i get i/o errors in venti and plan9 paniced. so this was not
    > such a good idea i guess...
    > reformated all venti partitions and tried again several times with
    > different bios options
    > (without DMA, tried both bios SATA IDE and SATA RAID mode):
    >
    > - after hours of disk activity, sdD0 failed... i tried to read
    > /dev/sdD0/data and got i/o error instantly and
    > after reboot worked again.

    does it work with a single disk?

    what is the output of pci? is there any part of the error message
    that you can capture?

    - erik

  4. Re: [9fans] VIA VT8237 SATA/RAID i/o errors, dma doesnt work

    There are a few VIA boards out there that have broken disk interfaces.
    Depending on how you interpret a lot of discussion on the VIA forums,
    these are due to the BIOS or not (at least, on some boards a BIOS
    upgrade fixed the issue, or so it is claimed). I got myself a cheap
    EPIA5000 (I think) and could not get anything running stable on it
    when using a disk. It runs a Plan9 terminal without a disk no
    problems, but even installing FreeBSD just randomly starts freezing or
    rebooting.

    I am running a CPU/file server on a VIA 10000 (not sure which one, I'm
    not close, so I can't check) and that runs fine.

    Robby

  5. Re: [9fans] VIA VT8237 SATA/RAID i/o errors, dma doesnt work

    Hello,

    I had a similar phenomenon with VB7001G using two SATAs(IDE mode).
    Second SATA is unstable but I don't know where the problem comes from.
    Plan 9 under single SATA(IDE mode) works fine.

    Kenji Arisawa

    On 2008/02/05, at 17:18, Kernel Panic wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I purchased an C7 based machine with VIA VT8237 SATA/RAID:
    >
    > http://www2.digitalo.de/
    > deeplink.jsp;jsessionid=0FEFF78E7DE9EC893CD54A5B75 AA7B60?
    > PROD=948733&EXT=SHOPPING
    >
    > Have 2 SATA disks attached. They are detected like normal IDE devices.
    > The Installation of Plan9 worked fine. Created partitions and #k
    > mirror and setup
    > venti. I wanted to copy the arenas of my old fileserver to it and
    > then later format
    > fossil with the last score, but the machine fails before finishing/
    > reading the first
    > arena. :-(
    >
    > First, i found that DMA was disabled for both drives, so i forced
    > it on with:
    > echo dma on >/dev/sdC0/ctl
    > echo dma on >/dev/sdD0/ctl
    >
    > ...then i get i/o errors in venti and plan9 paniced. so this was
    > not such a good idea i guess...
    > reformated all venti partitions and tried again several times with
    > different bios options
    > (without DMA, tried both bios SATA IDE and SATA RAID mode):
    >
    > - after hours of disk activity, sdD0 failed... i tried to read /dev/
    > sdD0/data and got i/o error instantly and
    > after reboot worked again.
    >
    > - after hours of disk activity, i see i/o-error that it cant read /
    > dev/sdD0/9hal.vtbloom
    > (venti bloomfilter partition 64MB). and then crashed with poolpanic.
    >
    > http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...d_PC_hardware/
    > index.html shows that this
    > controller should work but it doesnt for me currently.
    >
    > pci -v shows the as same ids as in the sdata.c driver.
    >
    > Is anybody using that sata controller? (with multiple SATA disks?)
    > Do i miss here something?
    > Are here any special BIOS options i need to get this working?
    >
    > cinap

+ Reply to Thread