Re: [9fans] Plan 9 wireless how-to... - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] Plan 9 wireless how-to... - Plan9 ; On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 04:23:18 -0000, Michael Andronov wrote: > First, thanks a lot for the advices and help; > > However, the theory to practice step seems to be a bit longer > > 1. about network: > ...

  1. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 wireless how-to...

    wrote:

    > First, thanks a lot for the advices and help;
    >
    > However, the theory to practice step seems to be a bit longer
    >
    > 1. about network:
    > - following your advice, found plan9.ini
    > - i managed to modify it with sam, ( for some strange reason, when I'm
    > editing the file in ACME, the 'Put' option appears as soon as I modify
    > the
    > file - and that is expected; but after I select 'Put' and press button2-
    > nothing happens.... Actually seems like commands within ACME toolsbar do
    > not
    > want to react to button2 (?) ).

    You are probably pressing the wrong button. To Plan 9, button 2 is the
    "middle" mouse button not the right button (the usual "button 2" on, say,
    Windows) which is likely a depressible wheel on your mouse.

    > On Feb 4, 2008 8:46 PM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    >
    >> On Feb 4, 2008, at 8:44 PM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    >>
    >> For USB, add this to the TOP of /usr/$user/lib/profile, above the switch
    >> but below the other bind lines:
    >>
    >> bind -a '#U' /dev
    >> usbd
    >>

    >> Scratch that. There is a line in /usr/$user/lib/profile that reads
    >>
    >> switch($terminal){
    >>
    >> Above that, add
    >>
    >> bind -a '#U' /dev
    >> usbstart
    >>
    >> usbstart sets up everything, including USB-based audio and the mouse.

    USB add-in cards usually have OHCI host controllers, which Plan 9 does not
    support out-of-the-box. The supported host controllers on Plan 9 are
    EHCI/UHCI. Correct me if I am wrong on this one.

    Assuming I am not wrong with that point, there must be some sort of
    unofficial/contributed drivers for OHCI on Plan 9. Instructions on how to
    install/configure them will be useful, I suppose.

  2. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 wireless how-to...

    > Assuming I am not wrong with that point, there must be some sort of
    > unofficial/contributed drivers for OHCI on Plan 9. Instructions on how to
    > install/configure them will be useful, I suppose.

    not that i'm aware of.

    - erik

  3. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 wireless how-to...

    >>>You are probably pressing the wrong button....
    I have a 2 button mouse, and I was using CTL+right button...
    Seems like it is working everywhere - sam, rio... and even ACME ( except
    toolbars...?)
    It is really strange behavior... Or I was really too tired ...

    But SAM saved me from that....

    Michael.

    On Feb 5, 2008 1:47 AM, Eris Discordia wrote:

    > On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 04:23:18 -0000, Michael Andronov
    > wrote:
    >
    > > First, thanks a lot for the advices and help;
    > >
    > > However, the theory to practice step seems to be a bit longer
    > >
    > > 1. about network:
    > > - following your advice, found plan9.ini
    > > - i managed to modify it with sam, ( for some strange reason, when

    > I'm
    > > editing the file in ACME, the 'Put' option appears as soon as I modify
    > > the
    > > file - and that is expected; but after I select 'Put' and press button2-
    > > nothing happens.... Actually seems like commands within ACME toolsbar do
    > > not
    > > want to react to button2 (?) ).

    > You are probably pressing the wrong button. To Plan 9, button 2 is the
    > "middle" mouse button not the right button (the usual "button 2" on, say,
    > Windows) which is likely a depressible wheel on your mouse.
    >
    > > On Feb 4, 2008 8:46 PM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    > >
    > >> On Feb 4, 2008, at 8:44 PM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    > >>
    > >> For USB, add this to the TOP of /usr/$user/lib/profile, above the

    > switch
    > >> but below the other bind lines:
    > >>
    > >> bind -a '#U' /dev
    > >> usbd
    > >>

    > >> Scratch that. There is a line in /usr/$user/lib/profile that reads
    > >>
    > >> switch($terminal){
    > >>
    > >> Above that, add
    > >>
    > >> bind -a '#U' /dev
    > >> usbstart
    > >>
    > >> usbstart sets up everything, including USB-based audio and the mouse.
    > >>

    > USB add-in cards usually have OHCI host controllers, which Plan 9 does not
    > support out-of-the-box. The supported host controllers on Plan 9 are
    > EHCI/UHCI. Correct me if I am wrong on this one.
    >
    > Assuming I am not wrong with that point, there must be some sort of
    > unofficial/contributed drivers for OHCI on Plan 9. Instructions on how to
    > install/configure them will be useful, I suppose.
    >
    > --

  4. Re: [9fans] Plan 9 wireless how-to...

    ed(1) is worth learning (and often the fastest way to do small edits).
    And there is always cat(1), which with hold mode is almost a full
    fledged editor.

    uriel

+ Reply to Thread