Re: [9fans] A newbie question... - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] A newbie question... - Plan9 ; > Although I keep hearing different stories about the gcc availble for > Plan 9 (it makes little sense to me to hear "it does not work" because > something had to be used to compile Plan 9 itself, etc ...

  1. Re: [9fans] A newbie question...

    > Although I keep hearing different stories about the gcc availble for
    > Plan 9 (it makes little sense to me to hear "it does not work" because
    > something had to be used to compile Plan 9 itself, etc and I figure it's
    > not being done as a cross-compiler).

    http://doc.cat-v.org/bell_labs/new_c_compilers/ (I don't know the
    exact date, but this was probably written in the late 80's)
    http://cm.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/compiler.html

    But I must be having delusions, because everyone knows there were no C
    compilers in the universe before God RMS gave us the Golden GCC.

    And of course ken never did anything after writing ed... not that
    anyone remembers ed anymore, the other day I found the Debian
    installer doesn't have ed... but it has nano! oh joy of progress! and
    if the linux tty gets seriously confused, oh, nano is so much more
    effective at filling your screen with funny characters!

    uriel

    > --
    > Greg Comeau / 4.3.9 with C++0xisms now in beta!
    > Comeau C/C++ ONLINE ==> http://www.comeaucomputing.com/tryitout
    > World Class Compilers: Breathtaking C++, Amazing C99, Fabulous C90.
    > Comeau C/C++ with Dinkumware's Libraries... Have you tried it?

  2. Re: [9fans] A newbie question...

    In article <5d375e920802040309v626ee945qdf9e274aad2fac23@mail. gmail.com>,
    Uriel <9fans@cse.psu.edu> wrote:
    >> Although I keep hearing different stories about the gcc availble for
    >> Plan 9 (it makes little sense to me to hear "it does not work" because
    >> something had to be used to compile Plan 9 itself, etc and I figure it's
    >> not being done as a cross-compiler).

    >http://doc.cat-v.org/bell_labs/new_c_compilers/ (I don't know the
    >exact date, but this was probably written in the late 80's)
    >http://cm.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/compiler.html
    >
    >But I must be having delusions, because everyone knows there were no C
    >compilers in the universe before God RMS gave us the Golden GCC.

    Nope, just for whatever reason, a link to gcc for Plan 9 came up
    when I looked. Which is why I asked because
    it did not make sense (including what I was told in email,
    though not by Steve).
    --
    Greg Comeau / 4.3.9 with C++0xisms now in beta!