> 3D stuff on *nix is very fat.
Yeah. In my point of view modern window system should be build on top
of OpenGL, but X11 build on top of kernel driver and OpenGL add to X11
with "hacks"

> DRI is something which should be far hidden behind clients
> not even exist within within an client process

In my point of view DRI should be dead
If you look at driver sources you could find many "hacks" and even
code duplications(!). DRI was perfect some years ago, but now it's
something that should stay in history

> Maybe you could start modeling the API's functionality into an
> filesystem

I'm not sure now how it should be. There are coupe a questions, so
after some results i will create project on some public host with all
my results and questions about architecture

> As an intermediate step you could develop an server
> for this (maybe using libmixp) on *nix/GNU platforms and connect
> it from an Plan9 environment (either remotely or from plan9port).

I'm even have no Plan9 running setup right now, yesterday i was try to
start it in VMWare, but i failed, today will be new try
But it's good thing, try to do it remotely, i'll try this way, thanks

> So you can develop the Plan9 userland side w/o having the actual
> drivers ported to Plan9. Once this works and the interface specs
> are fixed, you could move to native Plan9.

As far as i think now, in kernel will be only core graphics chip
functions, DRI part and OpenGL implementation should be in users pace.
But Linux goes in different way, so this is point of discussions too