[9fans] CUPS printing - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] CUPS printing - Plan9 ; Hi, I've got a question that you might be able to answer - I've just installed Plan9 on Parallels and I've got the networking set up OK. Now I want to set up a printer - I've got a HP ...

  1. [9fans] CUPS printing

    Hi,

    I've got a question that you might be able to answer - I've just
    installed Plan9 on Parallels and I've got the networking set up OK.
    Now I want to set up a printer - I've got a HP deskjet printer
    attached to an OSX server (so I could connect to it via CUPS or
    SAMBA) - is there anyway to get Plan9 to print to it

    Thanks

    Keith

  2. Re: [9fans] CUPS printing

    Plan 9 uses neither CUPS nor CIFS (the protocol used by Samba).

    1) Find your printer in Parallels. You might need it connected to USB.
    2) Read http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...configuration/
    index.html
    3) Once you have your device ID, set it to LPDEST by adding the line
    LPDEST =
    to the TOP of /usr/$user/lib/profile.
    4) Test it out:
    lp /sys/doc/title.ps

    On Feb 2, 2008, at 7:49 PM, Keith Poole wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've got a question that you might be able to answer - I've just
    > installed Plan9 on Parallels and I've got the networking set up
    > OK. Now I want to set up a printer - I've got a HP deskjet printer
    > attached to an OSX server (so I could connect to it via CUPS or
    > SAMBA) - is there anyway to get Plan9 to print to it
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Keith

  3. Re: [9fans] CUPS printing

    > I've got a question that you might be able to answer - I've just
    > installed Plan9 on Parallels and I've got the networking set up
    > OK. Now I want to set up a printer - I've got a HP deskjet printer
    > attached to an OSX server (so I could connect to it via CUPS or
    > SAMBA) - is there anyway to get Plan9 to print to it

    forsyth wrote an smb printing client many years ago,
    I am pretty sure I have a copy somwhere if its no longer
    on the net.

    Alternatively I would suggest you enable lpr/lpd printing
    on the OSX server which plan9 supports out of the box.

    see the lp(8) and /sys/doc/lp.8

    -Steve

  4. Re: [9fans] CUPS printing

    It looks like OSX enables lpd printing when you share a printer on
    the network - I just added an entry for that IP address and queue
    name of the print & it worked!

    Thanks for helping

    Keith

    On 3 Feb 2008, at 18:43, Steve Simon wrote:

    >> I've got a question that you might be able to answer - I've just
    >> installed Plan9 on Parallels and I've got the networking set up
    >> OK. Now I want to set up a printer - I've got a HP deskjet printer
    >> attached to an OSX server (so I could connect to it via CUPS or
    >> SAMBA) - is there anyway to get Plan9 to print to it

    > forsyth wrote an smb printing client many years ago,
    > I am pretty sure I have a copy somwhere if its no longer
    > on the net.
    >
    > Alternatively I would suggest you enable lpr/lpd printing
    > on the OSX server which plan9 supports out of the box.
    >
    > see the lp(8) and /sys/doc/lp.8
    >
    > -Steve

+ Reply to Thread