Re: [9fans] Serious Problem Running Plan 9 on Virtual PC - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] Serious Problem Running Plan 9 on Virtual PC - Plan9 ; On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 18:03:31 -0000, Bakul Shah wrote: > Have you tried qemu? It works fine for me. I am right now trying (and being disappointed with) VirtualBox which is essentially QEMU in disguie (or so says the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Re: [9fans] Serious Problem Running Plan 9 on Virtual PC

  1. Re: [9fans] Serious Problem Running Plan 9 on Virtual PC

    On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 18:03:31 -0000, Bakul Shah wrote:

    > Have you tried qemu? It works fine for me.


    I am right now trying (and being disappointed with) VirtualBox which is
    essentially QEMU in disguie (or so says the Wikipedia article).

    As with VPC, I tried both Plan 9 and FreeBSD on it. The FreeBSD VM is
    copying the distribution right now and doing it blazing fast compared to
    the sluggish IDE activity on VPC.

    Still, Plan 9 would not even boot live on it. Somewhere after choosing
    where to boot from, things slow down to a halt and that is it. Seems like
    Plan 9 is all too manipulative and these virtualizers would not take that
    ;-)

    --
    Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

  2. Re: [9fans] Serious Problem Running Plan 9 on Virtual PC

    > ...Seems like
    > Plan 9 is all too manipulative and these virtualizers would not take that
    > ;-)


    I have never used VPC or virtual box, but qemu works fine for me on a ppc mac.
    The install was slow but I expected that, I just started it and went out for
    a beer. Now its installed it boots and runs fine.

    -Steve

  3. Re: [9fans] Serious Problem Running Plan 9 on Virtual PC

    On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 23:49:51 -0000, Steve Simon wrote:

    >
    > I have never used VPC or virtual box, but qemu works fine for me on a
    > ppc mac.
    > The install was slow but I expected that, I just started it and went out
    > for
    > a beer. Now its installed it boots and runs fine.
    >
    > -Steve


    QEMU Win32 binaries eventually cut the knot for me. Unfortunately, it is
    morbidly slow, especially on disk operations (it took like 50 minutes to
    copy the distro). And the KQEMU kernel driver would not load on my x64
    Windows. Any ideas?

    All in all it has been a step forward. Now I have a limping but functional
    Plan 9 installation. Time to learn... ouch!

    --
    Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

  4. Re: [9fans] Serious Problem Running Plan 9 on Virtual PC

    By the way, do you know some free virtual machine emulator (like
    VMWare) for linux on what Plan9 could work?

    2008/2/4, Eris Discordia :
    > On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 23:49:51 -0000, Steve Simon wrote:
    >
    > >
    > > I have never used VPC or virtual box, but qemu works fine for me on a
    > > ppc mac.
    > > The install was slow but I expected that, I just started it and went out
    > > for
    > > a beer. Now its installed it boots and runs fine.
    > >
    > > -Steve

    >
    > QEMU Win32 binaries eventually cut the knot for me. Unfortunately, it is
    > morbidly slow, especially on disk operations (it took like 50 minutes to
    > copy the distro). And the KQEMU kernel driver would not load on my x64
    > Windows. Any ideas?
    >
    > All in all it has been a step forward. Now I have a limping but functional
    > Plan 9 installation. Time to learn... ouch!
    >
    > --
    > Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
    >


  5. Re: [9fans] Serious Problem Running Plan 9 on Virtual PC

    I always used plan9 on native machines.

    But yesterday I used plan9 on qemu and worked fine.

    --
    Fidonet: 2:345/432.2

  6. Re: [9fans] Serious Problem Running Plan 9 on Virtual PC

    > http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...nes/index.html
    Oh! I'm really sorry!
    It's so shame, RTFM.... *CONFUSED*
    Thanks a lot ))


    2008/2/4, Juan M. Mendez :
    > I always used plan9 on native machines.
    >
    > But yesterday I used plan9 on qemu and worked fine.
    >
    > --
    > Fidonet: 2:345/432.2
    >


  7. Re: [9fans] Serious Problem Running Plan 9 on Virtual PC

    On 04/02/2008, Filipp Andronov wrote:
    > > http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...nes/index.html

    > Oh! I'm really sorry!
    > It's so shame, RTFM.... *CONFUSED*
    > Thanks a lot ))


    Following the instrucions here:

    http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/9faq.html

    I downloaded plan9 image on my GNU/Linux machine.
    http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/export/vmplan9.tbz

    $ tar xvfj vmplan9.tbz
    $ qemu -full-screen -net nic -net user p9disk-flat.vmdk

    After that, the emulated plan9 worked smoothly and I didnt have to configure
    nothing to update plan9 with

    % pull

    --
    Fidonet: 2:345/432.2

  8. Re: [9fans] Serious Problem Running Plan 9 on Virtual PC

    Thanks! )))

    > http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/9faq.html

    Unfortunately, it is not on english or russian
    >From page http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/ link to FAQ

    (http://www.fywss.com/plan9/plan9faq.html) is dead.

    > I downloaded plan9 image on my GNU/Linux machine.
    > http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/export/vmplan9.tbz

    I will try this at evening, but i have little question - what
    difference between that image and official one from
    pla9.bell-labs.com?

    2008/2/4, Juan M. Mendez :
    > On 04/02/2008, Filipp Andronov wrote:
    > > > http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...nes/index.html

    > > Oh! I'm really sorry!
    > > It's so shame, RTFM.... *CONFUSED*
    > > Thanks a lot ))

    >
    > Following the instrucions here:
    >
    > http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/9faq.html
    >
    > I downloaded plan9 image on my GNU/Linux machine.
    > http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/export/vmplan9.tbz
    >
    > $ tar xvfj vmplan9.tbz
    > $ qemu -full-screen -net nic -net user p9disk-flat.vmdk
    >
    > After that, the emulated plan9 worked smoothly and I didnt have to configure
    > nothing to update plan9 with
    >
    > % pull
    >
    > --
    > Fidonet: 2:345/432.2
    >


  9. Re: [9fans] Serious Problem Running Plan 9 on Virtual PC

    On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 12:56:05 -0000, Filipp Andronov
    wrote:

    > Thanks! )))
    >
    >> http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/9faq.html

    > Unfortunately, it is not on english or russian
    >> From page http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/ link to FAQ

    > (http://www.fywss.com/plan9/plan9faq.html) is dead.
    >
    >> I downloaded plan9 image on my GNU/Linux machine.
    >> http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/export/vmplan9.tbz

    > I will try this at evening, but i have little question - what
    > difference between that image and official one from
    > pla9.bell-labs.com?
    >
    > 2008/2/4, Juan M. Mendez :
    >> On 04/02/2008, Filipp Andronov wrote:
    >> > > http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...nes/index.html
    >> > Oh! I'm really sorry!
    >> > It's so shame, RTFM.... *CONFUSED*
    >> > Thanks a lot ))

    >>
    >> Following the instrucions here:
    >>
    >> http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/9faq.html
    >>
    >> I downloaded plan9 image on my GNU/Linux machine.
    >> http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/export/vmplan9.tbz
    >>
    >> $ tar xvfj vmplan9.tbz
    >> $ qemu -full-screen -net nic -net user p9disk-flat.vmdk
    >>
    >> After that, the emulated plan9 worked smoothly and I didnt have to
    >> configure
    >> nothing to update plan9 with
    >>
    >> % pull
    >>
    >> --
    >> Fidonet: 2:345/432.2
    >>


    That image file with the vmdk extension (.vmdk, that is) is actually a
    VMWare virtual disk which is, out of sheer luck, on QEMU's list of
    supported virtual hard disk formats. The ISO image is the semi-official
    snapshot of the latest (or close to latest, depending on where you
    download the image from) Plan 9 4th Edition, which is not much of a
    "release." With the vmdk file you get a pre-installed, probably tailored,
    Plan 9 system, while with the ISO you get it "raw." You can install from
    the ISO or run it live (as with live Linux distros, such as Knoppix).

    --
    Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

  10. Re: [9fans] Serious Problem Running Plan 9 on Virtual PC

    On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 10:58:46 -0000, Filipp Andronov
    wrote:

    > By the way, do you know some free virtual machine emulator (like
    > VMWare) for linux on what Plan9 could work?
    >


    1. Yes. QEMU was developed for Linux, in the first place. The Windows
    binaries are only side effects ;-) QEMU's website:
    http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/

    2. If I were you, I would not give in to the temptation of trying Plan 9
    on Xen.

    3. The Plan 9 wiki article on VMs is a little old. Parallels now has a
    Linux version. VMWare Player (VMWare's really free version), too.

    4. Here's a good list and comparison of virtualizers:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...rtual_machines

    --
    Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

  11. Re: [9fans] Serious Problem Running Plan 9 on Virtual PC

    * Eris Discordia (eris.discordia@gmail.com) wrote:
    > The ISO image is the semi-official
    > snapshot of the latest (or close to latest, depending on where you
    > download the image from) Plan 9 4th Edition, which is not much of a
    > "release."


    Uhh, that's the way Plan 9 is released. It's been this way for quite a few
    years now. Just as official as you'll get.


  12. Re: [9fans] Serious Problem Running Plan 9 on Virtual PC

    Thanks yout very much for replys, i''l try qemu today )

    2008/2/4, Martin Neubauer :
    > * Eris Discordia (eris.discordia@gmail.com) wrote:
    > > The ISO image is the semi-official
    > > snapshot of the latest (or close to latest, depending on where you
    > > download the image from) Plan 9 4th Edition, which is not much of a
    > > "release."

    >
    > Uhh, that's the way Plan 9 is released. It's been this way for quite a few
    > years now. Just as official as you'll get.
    >
    >


  13. Re: [9fans] Serious Problem Running Plan 9 on Virtual PC

    On Feb 4, 2008 12:54 PM, Juan M. Mendez wrote:
    >
    > Following the instrucions here:
    >
    > http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/9faq.html
    >
    > I downloaded plan9 image on my GNU/Linux machine.
    > http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/export/vmplan9.tbz
    >
    > $ tar xvfj vmplan9.tbz
    > $ qemu -full-screen -net nic -net user p9disk-flat.vmdk
    >
    > After that, the emulated plan9 worked smoothly and I didnt have to configure
    > nothing to update plan9 with
    >
    > % pull
    >


    This is for our students and highly localized (it is the reason why it is in
    Spanish). The images have our (student's) fileserver configured and all.
    If you are not studying in the urjc, you would do best to ignore it unless
    you know exactly what you are doing.
    --
    - curiosity sKilled the cat

  14. Re: [9fans] Serious Problem Running Plan 9 on Virtual PC

    Thanks to all. I finally get Plan9 working, it's FLY! ))))

    2008/2/4, Gorka Guardiola :
    > On Feb 4, 2008 12:54 PM, Juan M. Mendez wrote:
    > >
    > > Following the instrucions here:
    > >
    > > http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/9faq.html
    > >
    > > I downloaded plan9 image on my GNU/Linux machine.
    > > http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/export/vmplan9.tbz
    > >
    > > $ tar xvfj vmplan9.tbz
    > > $ qemu -full-screen -net nic -net user p9disk-flat.vmdk
    > >
    > > After that, the emulated plan9 worked smoothly and I didnt have to configure
    > > nothing to update plan9 with
    > >
    > > % pull
    > >

    >
    > This is for our students and highly localized (it is the reason why it is in
    > Spanish). The images have our (student's) fileserver configured and all.
    > If you are not studying in the urjc, you would do best to ignore it unless
    > you know exactly what you are doing.
    > --
    > - curiosity sKilled the cat
    >


+ Reply to Thread