Do you know how to use the Acme editor? You use abaco in a similar

If you mean a full office suite like Microsoft Word/Excel/PowerPoint
with a GUI interface, then no. But troff is easy to learn. Here's a
rough tutorial for troff: troff documents are text files sent through
the troff program and its preprocessors to get a document. For
example, if you have a file named mydoc, the command
troff mydoc | page
lets you preview your document, and
troff mydoc | lp -dmyprinter
sends it to your printer, replacing myprinter with the device name,

troff is commonly used with a macro set, which defines formatting.
The most common macro set is ms, created by Mike Lesk. To format a
document with ms support:
troff -ms mydoc | [output command]
Here is the structure of an ms document:
Numbered heading
.IP \(bu
Bulleted paragraph
.IP 1.
Numbered paragraph
.IP 2.
List item number 2
Left-aligned paragraph
Section heading
.NH 2
Level 2 numbered heading (1.1)
Text in
.B bold
.I italic .

Lines beginning with a . are troff/ms commands. If your document has
no abstract, use

.AB no

A preprocessor is filtered through before troff. For example, a
document with tables, equations, and pictures uses the command line
pic mydoc | tbl | eqn | troff -ms | [output program]
tbl, also by Mike Lesk, creates tables.
center, box;
c s
r l.
Title of table
The line
center, box;
is obvious - it affects the whole table.
c s
tells the first row to be centered and all columns spanned, and
r l.
tells the rest of the rows to have a right-adjusted column and a left-
adjusted column. Column data is separated by tabs. If a line is
then a horizontal line is placed.

eqn formats equations.
sum from n=1 to infinity { x sup 2 } ~ -> ~ { infinity sub n sup 2 }
over 4n
The ~ gives an explicit space, and { } perform grouping. Embedded
equations are also supported:
delim @@
... the conversion factor from radians to degrees is @180 / pi@

pic is a simple picture language.
box "hello"
box "how" "are you?"
box wid 2 "widths are" "in inches"
arrow <->

pic and eqn are by Brian Kernighan, and eqn was co-written by Lorinda
Cherry. The official documentation for many of these tools can be
found at:
And again, see for more information:

To download a paper from the above,
1) Snarf the link. Snarf is to Plan 9 as copy is to Windows/Mac OS X/
2) In a command line, type "hget " without hitting Enter.
3) Middle-click and choose "paste".
4) If the file is .ps.gz, type "| gunzip >" replacing x with the
document's intended name. Otherwise, just say ">" or "> x.pdf".
5) Run page on the ps/pdf file.