On Jan 31, 2008, at 7:22 PM, Michael Andronov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a new to Plan9, and I am trying to understand the current
> status of the system.
> In particular, I am wondering about the list of application available=
> - is there email reader?

Several ways to do this, but to set up:
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan...ion/index.html

> - Web browser?

The most actively developed is abaco. Type, on the command line:
9fs sources
/n/sources/contrib/fgb/root/rc/contrib/install fgb/contrib
contrib/install fgb/abaco
Then type
abaco http://website.com/
You will need the http://.

> - office like suite = document editor, spreadsheet?

Document editor is troff. There is no built-in spreadsheet, just
maintain a text database. There are resources for learning troff;
http://www.troff.org/ is a good place to start.

> - is it possible to run Linux software under plan9?

Yes, there is an in-development program called linuxemu. I don't have
much info on it, though.