Re: [9fans] A newbie question... - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] A newbie question... - Plan9 ; > I'm a new to Plan9, and I am trying to understand the current status of the > system. > In particular, I am wondering about the list of application available= > - is there email reader? > - Web ...

  1. Re: [9fans] A newbie question...

    > I'm a new to Plan9, and I am trying to understand the current status of the
    > system.
    > In particular, I am wondering about the list of application available=
    > - is there email reader?
    > - Web browser?
    > - office like suite = document editor, spreadsheet?
    > - is it possible to run Linux software under plan9?

    yes, not really, no, no.

    > In other words, I am wondering if it is possible to switch to Plan 9 system,
    > and to use it as 'everyday machine'?

    i use plan 9 as my everyday machine both at home and at work.

    - erik

  2. Re: [9fans] A newbie question...

    >> I'm a new to Plan9, and I am trying to understand the current status of the
    >> system.
    >> In particular, I am wondering about the list of application available=
    >> - is there email reader?
    >> - Web browser?
    >> - office like suite = document editor, spreadsheet?
    >> - is it possible to run Linux software under plan9?

    > yes, not really, no, no.

    You could, of course, use troff to make documents.
    And linuxemu seems able to provide both Linux software capability
    and a web browser...

    >> In other words, I am wondering if it is possible to switch to Plan 9 system,
    >> and to use it as 'everyday machine'?

    > i use plan 9 as my everyday machine both at home and at work.
    >
    > - erik

    I use Plan 9 at work every day, it's pretty good.

+ Reply to Thread