[9fans] window placement rio in p9p - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] window placement rio in p9p - Plan9 ; I've been messing around with a new laptop at work (the hinges on the old one broke), and along the way, I'm reminded of something that's bugged me for a while. Is there any way to tell rio to move ...

  1. [9fans] window placement rio in p9p

    I've been messing around with a new laptop at
    work (the hinges on the old one broke), and
    along the way, I'm reminded of something that's
    bugged me for a while. Is there any way to
    tell rio to move a window that's not manual
    (i.e. using the mouse)? Is there something
    in p9p equivalent to opening a control file
    and writing a command into it, or alternatively
    is there an app that will generate a ConfigureRequest
    event on behalf of a specific window?

    If you're interested in the context, here it
    is. The p9p apps and good old fashioned,
    well-behaved X apps support command-line
    arguments to establish the initial window
    placement. But the ill-behaved apps (e.g.
    pretty much anything built on gtk) seem
    to assume some other strange policy. For
    example, no matter what I do firefox starts
    in the upper left corner of the screen.
    By contrast pidgin always starts where it
    was placed last. But neither of these
    behaviors are what I want. I want to
    specify the placement in my .xinitrc and
    to have the specific placement be based
    on my network address, so that I start
    different apps at home vs. at work.

    Any thoughts?

    BLS

  2. Re: [9fans] window placement rio in p9p

    > I've been messing around with a new laptop at
    > work (the hinges on the old one broke), and
    > along the way, I'm reminded of something that's
    > bugged me for a while. Is there any way to
    > tell rio to move a window that's not manual
    > (i.e. using the mouse)? Is there something
    > in p9p equivalent to opening a control file
    > and writing a command into it, or alternatively
    > is there an app that will generate a ConfigureRequest
    > event on behalf of a specific window?

    Gee, I thought optimistically, that shouldn't be
    *too* hard -- I still have all the X crap paged in
    from yesterday's full-size changes.

    I was wrong. But it's done: see xshove in rio(1).

    xshove Firefox +20,10
    xshove Firefox 500x800
    xshove Firefox 0,0,800,600
    xshove Firefox +100x200