[9fans] p9p for Mac OS X - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] p9p for Mac OS X - Plan9 ; Dear List, I would like to use the p9p tools for Mac OS X. As stupid as its defaults are the filesystem is case insensitive. Therefore font files for troff conflict (namely Hb and HB, maybe others too). Is anyone ...

  1. [9fans] p9p for Mac OS X

    Dear List,

    I would like to use the p9p tools for Mac OS X. As stupid as its
    defaults are the filesystem is case insensitive. Therefore font
    files for troff conflict (namely Hb and HB, maybe others too). Is
    anyone on this list using p9p on Mac OS X? If yes, what's been our
    solution for this issue?

    Kind regards,

    Christian

    --
    You may use my gpg key for replies:
    pub 1024D/47F79788 2005/02/02 Christian Kellermann (C-Keen)

  2. Re: [9fans] p9p for Mac OS X

    i use p9p under macos x too. i format the disk
    with a case sensitive filesystem.

    mind you, i think i must have used it with a case insensitive
    filesystem before, and it just worked. i guess i didn't use
    those troff font files.

    cheers,
    rog.

    On Jan 31, 2008 10:40 AM, Christian Kellermann
    wrote:
    > Dear List,
    >
    > I would like to use the p9p tools for Mac OS X. As stupid as its
    > defaults are the filesystem is case insensitive. Therefore font
    > files for troff conflict (namely Hb and HB, maybe others too). Is
    > anyone on this list using p9p on Mac OS X? If yes, what's been our
    > solution for this issue?
    >
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Christian
    >
    > --
    > You may use my gpg key for replies:
    > pub 1024D/47F79788 2005/02/02 Christian Kellermann (C-Keen)

  3. Re: [9fans] p9p for Mac OS X

    * roger peppe [080131 12:29]:
    > i use p9p under macos x too. i format the disk
    > with a case sensitive filesystem.
    >
    > mind you, i think i must have used it with a case insensitive
    > filesystem before, and it just worked. i guess i didn't use
    > those troff font files.

    I just noticed because I did a mercurial checkout and this is failing...

    --
    You may use my gpg key for replies:
    pub 1024D/47F79788 2005/02/02 Christian Kellermann (C-Keen)

  4. Re: [9fans] p9p for Mac OS X

    > I would like to use the p9p tools for Mac OS X. As stupid as its
    > defaults are the filesystem is case insensitive. Therefore font
    > files for troff conflict (namely Hb and HB, maybe others too). Is
    > anyone on this list using p9p on Mac OS X? If yes, what's been our
    > solution for this issue?

    Converting to a case-sensitive filesystem is a quick one-click
    operation from disk utility that takes less than 2 minutes. I
    recommend you switch to it to avoid any further issues.

    --
    Anant

  5. Re: [9fans] p9p for Mac OS X

    > I would like to use the p9p tools for Mac OS X. As stupid as its
    > defaults are the filesystem is case insensitive. Therefore font
    > files for troff conflict (namely Hb and HB, maybe others too). Is
    > anyone on this list using p9p on Mac OS X? If yes, what's been our
    > solution for this issue?

    I've renamed the offending files. I expect no one
    is using Helvetica Narrow anyway.

    In general p9p tries to accomodate the widest possible
    number of systems -- these are the only files with
    case conflicts, I believe, so it is easier to work around
    them than to force everyone to modify their system
    configurations.

    Please let me know if you run into any other case conflicts.

    Russ

  6. Re: [9fans] p9p for Mac OS X

    * Russ Cox [080131 14:30]:
    > Please let me know if you run into any other case conflicts.

    You missed at least one:
    $ hg clone http://hg.pdos.csail.mit.edu/hg/plan9 plan9
    requesting all changes
    adding changesets
    adding manifests
    adding file changes
    added 2712 changesets with 15440 changes to 8264 files
    abort: case-folding collision between troff/font/devutf/charlib/lH and troff/font/devutf/charlib/lh

    And for converting the fs I thought you can only define the case
    sensitivity at fs creation time...

    Thanks Russ!

    Christian

    --
    You may use my gpg key for replies:
    pub 1024D/47F79788 2005/02/02 Christian Kellermann (C-Keen)

  7. Re: [9fans] p9p for Mac OS X

    I always have either a second partition formated case sensitive for
    all real work, or create disk images with a case sensitive format. It
    helps keep things honest enough (the same goes for Inferno and p9p and
    anything not from OSX-only developers).

+ Reply to Thread