[9fans] [OT] 43 MB installer to share CD/DVD drive w/ MacBook Air - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] [OT] 43 MB installer to share CD/DVD drive w/ MacBook Air - Plan9 ; I found this Engadget story amusing: http://tinyurl.com/363ojs Summary: Since Apple's new MacBook Air doesn't include a CD/DVD drive, they bundle a program to enable sharing of a disc drive from another machine. Apparently the (Mac) installer is 43 MB. It ...

  1. [9fans] [OT] 43 MB installer to share CD/DVD drive w/ MacBook Air

    I found this Engadget story amusing:

    http://tinyurl.com/363ojs

    drive, they bundle a program to enable sharing of a disc drive from
    another machine. Apparently the (Mac) installer is 43 MB. It would
    be interesting to know why it needs to be so big when the equivalent
    functionality in Plan 9 would take, what, 3 lines of shell script?
    Might have been less work just to embed Inferno and be done with it!

    One wonders at what point the law of diminishing returns kicks in when
    it comes to software...

    John

  2. Re: [9fans] [OT] 43 MB installer to share CD/DVD drive w/ MacBook Air

    > One wonders at what point the law of diminishing returns kicks in when
    > it comes to software...

    It didn't kick in: it snuck in a while ago.

    I'm writing this on a 2GHz 2 core machine with 2Gb RAM
    and a stock OSX 10.4 install.

    it _should_ fly like a sparrowhawk: it's more like a dodo.
    I wonder how much "Leopard"(ha!) will "speed it up".
    Oh joy.

    DaveL

  3. Re: [9fans] [OT] 43 MB installer to share CD/DVD drive w/ MacBook Air

    Question: are you running this natively/Boot Camp or on Q/Parallels/
    VMware? If natively, how did you get it to work? I got stuck on

    ELCR: 0003

    and it didn't go far. I have an Intel Core 2 Duo iMac running 10.4.10.

    On Jan 25, 2008, at 10:18 PM, dave.l@mac.com wrote:

    >> One wonders at what point the law of diminishing returns kicks in
    >> when
    >> it comes to software...

    > It didn't kick in: it snuck in a while ago.
    >
    > I'm writing this on a 2GHz 2 core machine with 2Gb RAM
    > and a stock OSX 10.4 install.
    >
    > it _should_ fly like a sparrowhawk: it's more like a dodo.
    > I wonder how much "Leopard"(ha!) will "speed it up".
    > Oh joy.
    >
    > DaveL

  4. Re: [9fans] [OT] 43 MB installer to share CD/DVD drive w/ MacBook Air

    Actually, one of the first things I noticed about Leopard is that it
    is noticeably faster than Tiger on the same hardware. YMMV.

    --
    Christopher Nielsen
    "They who can give up essential liberty for temporary

+ Reply to Thread