On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 19:31 +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > OLE is heavily abused term. And example you gave with browser
> > plugins helps, but I'll be easier to answer you question if
> > you can be more specific.

> Okay, then let's stay at browser plugins.
>
> I really want to get them out to their own processes and
> speaking 9P (nspluginwrapper is already going in that direction,
> but not yet far enough)
>
> We could start with an remote display/framebuffer (a little bit
> like an tiny X via 9P ;-o)

Well, in that case it seems that it would be indeed, all you need.
I'm very far from being an expert on how modern browsers are designed,
but it seems the only shared thing between a browser and a plugin
should be set of rectangular framebuffers. I would expect the rest
of resources to be either available as-is (audio, etc.) or be request
from the browser in a general fashion (bookmarks, history, etc.).
The trickiest part seems to be exploring locality for the mapped
rendering (imagine a multimedia plugin displaying an HD movie).

Thanks,
Roman.