Re: [9fans] Fossil+venti install problem - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] Fossil+venti install problem - Plan9 ; ----- Original Message ----- Da : erik quanstrom A : 9fans@cse.psu.edu Oggetto : Re: [9fans] Fossil+venti install problem Data : Wed, 9 Jan 2008 09:42:01 -0500 > have you considered installing just fossil. > you could then install fossil+venti on ...

  1. Re: [9fans] Fossil+venti install problem

    ----- Original Message -----
    Da : erik quanstrom
    A : 9fans@cse.psu.edu
    Oggetto : Re: [9fans] Fossil+venti install problem
    Data : Wed, 9 Jan 2008 09:42:01 -0500

    > have you considered installing just fossil.
    > you could then install fossil+venti on a seperate disk/
    > partition on your running system and see if that hangs
    > up.
    >
    > - erik

    Yes. I could, but a reasonable hypothesis is that fossil
    issue
    a lot of requests caused by a venti unexepected behaviour.
    Probably the install procedure is ok.
    Could it be an endless backup due to a wrong (interpretation
    of the)
    sys clock ?

    adriano

  2. Re: [9fans] Fossil+venti install problem

    On Wed Jan 9 12:05:15 EST 2008, a.verardo@tecmav.com wrote:
    > Yes. I could, but a reasonable hypothesis is that fossil
    > issue

    hypothesis is great. but unless you try something to limit the
    possbilities, hypothesis is not useful.

    > a lot of requests caused by a venti unexepected behaviour.
    > Probably the install procedure is ok.
    > Could it be an endless backup due to a wrong (interpretation
    > of the)
    > sys clock ?

    why would your clock be different from everone elses?

    - erik

  3. Re: [9fans] Fossil+venti install problem

    > On Wed Jan 9 12:05:15 EST 2008, a.verardo@tecmav.com wrote:
    >> Yes. I could, but a reasonable hypothesis is that fossil
    >> issue

    > hypothesis is great. but unless you try something to limit the
    > possbilities, hypothesis is not useful.
    >
    >> a lot of requests caused by a venti unexepected behaviour.
    >> Probably the install procedure is ok.
    >> Could it be an endless backup due to a wrong (interpretation
    >> of the)
    >> sys clock ?

    > why would your clock be different from everone elses?
    >
    > - erik

    Doesn't venti get unhappy when your current time is earlier
    than the last-written block or something like that? I thought
    problems could also arise with fossil/venti if you had two
    timesyncs running.

    I of course never have any problems because my systems are
    always configured PERFECTLY

    John

  4. Re: [9fans] Fossil+venti install problem

    hello

    unless the time difference is high there should be no problems iirc
    Russ answered this on a thread about timezone changes and venti, the
    error message was about arena creation time.

    slds.

    gabi

    On Jan 9, 2008, at 18:46, john@csplan9.rit.edu wrote:

    >> On Wed Jan 9 12:05:15 EST 2008, a.verardo@tecmav.com wrote:
    >>> Yes. I could, but a reasonable hypothesis is that fossil
    >>> issue

    >> hypothesis is great. but unless you try something to limit the
    >> possbilities, hypothesis is not useful.
    >>
    >>> a lot of requests caused by a venti unexepected behaviour.
    >>> Probably the install procedure is ok.
    >>> Could it be an endless backup due to a wrong (interpretation
    >>> of the)
    >>> sys clock ?

    >> why would your clock be different from everone elses?
    >>
    >> - erik

    > Doesn't venti get unhappy when your current time is earlier
    > than the last-written block or something like that? I thought
    > problems could also arise with fossil/venti if you had two
    > timesyncs running.
    >
    > I of course never have any problems because my systems are
    > always configured PERFECTLY
    >
    > John

  5. Re: [9fans] Fossil+venti install problem

    I had the same thing happen ... ide dma is turned off and when I turned
    it by adding dmaon near the beginning of either termrc or cpurc (or both
    if you have both a cpu server and terminal) interrupts returned to a
    more normal level and performance is as it should be

    On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 18:05 +0100, a.verardo@tecmav.com wrote:
> [...]

+ Reply to Thread