Re: [9fans] Fossil+venti install problem - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] Fossil+venti install problem - Plan9 ; ----- Original Message ----- Da : erik quanstrom A : 9fans@cse.psu.edu Oggetto : Re: [9fans] Fossil+venti install problem Data : Wed, 9 Jan 2008 08:11:04 -0500 > > On Dec 27 I wrote about a problem I had installing a ...

  1. Re: [9fans] Fossil+venti install problem

    ----- Original Message -----
    Da : erik quanstrom
    A : 9fans@cse.psu.edu
    Oggetto : Re: [9fans] Fossil+venti install problem
    Data : Wed, 9 Jan 2008 08:11:04 -0500

    > > On Dec 27 I wrote about a problem I had installing a
    > > fossil+venti config using the ISO image downloaded on
    > > Dec 22:
    > >
    > > * On several HW setup, from P500 to P3000, the
    > > * install goes ok but just after the boot from HD
    > > * starts an endless activity (> 20 h ?!) with a steady
    > > * 100% cpu load and periodic (1 sec seek, 3 sec. pause)
    > > * disk load. Then the machine hangs.
    > >
    > > The same behaviour has also been observed in the
    > > University lab by some students working on a thesis
    > > about Plan9.
    > > Is there other 9fan(s) who had the same problem ?
    > >
    > > a.v.

    > i hesitate to answer because i have not seen such a
    > problem nor do i run venti or fossil.
    >
    > i haven't any answers, but perhaps these questions would
    > help narrow things down (assuming of course that you
    > haven't hit an actual venti bug):
    >
    > 1. what kind of drives are you using; what hba? have you
    > enabled dma? 2. which processes are accumulating cpu time?
    > 3. what is the interrupt load, memory usage? ("stats
    > -lsef")
    >
    > - erik

    About 1. 2. and 3. I've no precise info now. The CPU is
    mainly used by fossil/venti and the load is high enough to
    freeze
    rio almost totally (the mouse cursor moves every 5-6 sec on
    a P3000).
    Have been used PCs very different in age/disks/ram etc,
    always with the same result.

    Usually, just after the first boot, there is a strong disk
    activity
    only for a few minutes and with a reasonable rio response.
    After that
    the system get idle it is possible proceed with the
    configuration.

    This is exactly the behaviour with all the other ISOs,
    included
    the one downloaded on Jan-07.

    In all tests has been repeated exactly the same "default"
    install
    procedure without seeing any message error.

    adriano

  2. Re: [9fans] Fossil+venti install problem

    have you considered installing just fossil.
    you could then install fossil+venti on a seperate disk/
    partition on your running system and see if that hangs
    up.

    - erik

+ Reply to Thread