[9fans] Another amusing glibc day ... - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Another amusing glibc day ... - Plan9 ; _dl_out_of_memory as in date: relocation error: /tmp/xcpu-hfyyo9/libc.so.6: symbol _dl_out_of_memory, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 with link time reference ah well, here is the fix: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-443049.html At some point, it's just amusing. ron...

  1. [9fans] Another amusing glibc day ...

    _dl_out_of_memory

    as in
    date: relocation error: /tmp/xcpu-hfyyo9/libc.so.6: symbol
    _dl_out_of_memory, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file
    ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 with link time reference

    ah well, here is the fix:
    http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-443049.html

    At some point, it's just amusing.

    ron

  2. Re: [9fans] Another amusing glibc day ...

    Honestly, it should be renamed glibeverythingwecouldcramintoonelib.

    --
    "By cosmic rule, as day yields night, so winter summer, war peace, plenty
    famine. All things change. Air penetrates the lump of myrrh, until the

    "Men do not know how that which is drawn in different directions
    harmonises with itself. The harmonious structure of the world depends upon
    opposite tension like that of the bow and the lyre."

    "This universe, which is the same for all, has not been made by any god
    or man, but it always has been, is, and will be an ever-living fire,
    kindling itself by regular measures and going out by regular measures"
    -- Heraclitus

  3. Re: [9fans] Another amusing glibc day ...

    On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 17:42 -0800, ron minnich wrote:
    > _dl_out_of_memory
    >
    > as in
    > date: relocation error: /tmp/xcpu-hfyyo9/libc.so.6: symbol
    > _dl_out_of_memory, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file
    > ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 with link time reference
    >
    > ah well, here is the fix:
    > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-443049.html
    >
    > At some point, it's just amusing.

    I'm actually at loss why things like uClibc, dietlibc,
    hey BSD libc or even Solaris one, don't displace that
    horrible abomination called GNU libc. My only hope is that
    evolution will run its due course eventually, but it is
    so painful to watch its slow pace :-(

    Thanks,
    Roman.

  4. Re: [9fans] Another amusing glibc day ...

    well, uClibc & dietlibc are rather limited. *BSD libc is a viable option, as
    is Sun's.
    Honestly though, if we're going to do something as radical as get rid of
    glibc, can we please do a little better? Might as well fix everything else
    wrong, like, oh, say BSD SOCKETS!
    =)

    --
    "By cosmic rule, as day yields night, so winter summer, war peace, plenty
    famine. All things change. Air penetrates the lump of myrrh, until the
    joining bodies die and rise again in smoke called incense."

    "Men do not know how that which is drawn in different directions
    harmonises with itself. The harmonious structure of the world depends upon
    opposite tension like that of the bow and the lyre."

    "This universe, which is the same for all, has not been made by any god
    or man, but it always has been, is, and will be an ever-living fire,
    kindling itself by regular measures and going out by regular measures"
    -- Heraclitus

  5. Re: [9fans] Another amusing glibc day ...

    > well, uClibc & dietlibc are rather limited. *BSD libc is a viable option, as
    > is Sun's.
    > Honestly though, if we're going to do something as radical as get rid of
    > glibc, can we please do a little better? Might as well fix everything else
    > wrong, like, oh, say BSD SOCKETS!
    > =)

    sockets are not an invention of the c library, regardless of what drepper thinks.
    you'll have to swap out the operating system to do that.

    .... wait a second.

    - erik

  6. Re: [9fans] Another amusing glibc day ...

    That's fine by me. Besides, I don't agree with about 90% of what Herr
    Drepper thinks should be in a libc anyway.
    I even have a recomendation, but I'm sure most people wouldn't like it..
    =)

    --
    "By cosmic rule, as day yields night, so winter summer, war peace, plenty
    famine. All things change. Air penetrates the lump of myrrh, until the
    joining bodies die and rise again in smoke called incense."

    "Men do not know how that which is drawn in different directions
    harmonises with itself. The harmonious structure of the world depends upon
    opposite tension like that of the bow and the lyre."

    "This universe, which is the same for all, has not been made by any god
    or man, but it always has been, is, and will be an ever-living fire,
    kindling itself by regular measures and going out by regular measures"
    -- Heraclitus

+ Reply to Thread