[9fans] ssh2, at long last! - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] ssh2, at long last! - Plan9 ; Okay, we've all been waiting for ssh2 on Plan 9 for quite a few years. Ron Minnich and I have hacked around on Andrey's port of ssh2 to the point where it is moderately usable. The client is extremely basic. ...

  1. [9fans] ssh2, at long last!

    Okay, we've all been waiting for ssh2 on Plan 9 for quite a few years.
    Ron Minnich and I have hacked around on Andrey's port of ssh2 to the
    point where it is moderately usable. The client is extremely basic. It
    doesn't send anything to the server until you hit enter; don't expect
    to be using emacs any time soon under this, but you can use your basic
    commands. It seems to take the whole window with it sometimes upon
    exit, but we're hoping that by having more people banging on it we can
    get these things worked out before long.
    The source is at /n/sources/contrib/john/libssh2.tgz
    (http://netlib.bell-labs.com/sources/.../libssh2.tgz);
    there's also a precompiled binary at /n/sources/contrib/john/ssh2
    If you want debugging, set the SSH2DEBUG variable to a hex value
    before running. 0xFF will set maximum debugging, I don't know the
    other values.
    Please send feedback; anybody who wants to write a more complex client
    should do that ASAP.

    John
    --
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

  2. [9fans] Re: ssh2, at long last!

    On Jan 2, 2008 2:29 PM, John Floren wrote:
    > Okay, we've all been waiting for ssh2 on Plan 9 for quite a few years.
    > Ron Minnich and I have hacked around on Andrey's port of ssh2 to the
    > point where it is moderately usable. The client is extremely basic. It
    > doesn't send anything to the server until you hit enter; don't expect
    > to be using emacs any time soon under this, but you can use your basic
    > commands. It seems to take the whole window with it sometimes upon
    > exit, but we're hoping that by having more people banging on it we can
    > get these things worked out before long.
    > The source is at /n/sources/contrib/john/libssh2.tgz
    > (http://netlib.bell-labs.com/sources/.../libssh2.tgz);
    > there's also a precompiled binary at /n/sources/contrib/john/ssh2
    > If you want debugging, set the SSH2DEBUG variable to a hex value
    > before running. 0xFF will set maximum debugging, I don't know the
    > other values.
    > Please send feedback; anybody who wants to write a more complex client
    > should do that ASAP.

    Stupid mistake on my part... the file I put up as libssh2.tgz is not,
    in fact, a gzipped tarball. It's just a tar. I'm running bzip2 as we
    speak, so you can get libssh2.tbz in a few minutes

    John
    --
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

  3. Re: [9fans] ssh2, at long last!

    It works! But now I regret using all those colors for the prompt on linux...

  4. Re: [9fans] ssh2, at long last!

    FYI, the bug: when the ssh client does the "adjust window" packet,
    something is garbaged up in the encrypted packet, and the server sees
    a bogus packet size (order of 2^31 or so) and drops the connection.
    We can tell more if somebody wants to fix it.

    ron

  5. [9fans] Re: ssh2, at long last!

    On Jan 2, 2008 3:05 PM, John Floren wrote:

    > On Jan 2, 2008 2:29 PM, John Floren wrote:
    > > Okay, we've all been waiting for ssh2 on Plan 9 for quite a few years.
    > > Ron Minnich and I have hacked around on Andrey's port of ssh2 to the
    > > point where it is moderately usable. The client is extremely basic. It
    > > doesn't send anything to the server until you hit enter; don't expect
    > > to be using emacs any time soon under this, but you can use your basic
    > > commands. It seems to take the whole window with it sometimes upon
    > > exit, but we're hoping that by having more people banging on it we can
    > > get these things worked out before long.
    > > The source is at /n/sources/contrib/john/libssh2.tgz
    > > (http://netlib.bell-labs.com/sources/.../libssh2.tgz);
    > > there's also a precompiled binary at /n/sources/contrib/john/ssh2
    > > If you want debugging, set the SSH2DEBUG variable to a hex value
    > > before running. 0xFF will set maximum debugging, I don't know the
    > > other values.
    > > Please send feedback; anybody who wants to write a more complex client
    > > should do that ASAP.
    > >

    > Stupid mistake on my part... the file I put up as libssh2.tgz is not,
    > in fact, a gzipped tarball. It's just a tar. I'm running bzip2 as we
    > speak, so you can get libssh2.tbz in a few minutes

    After an amazingly fast bit of hacking, Aki has given us raw mode, so
    you can now run (to a limited extent) vi and stuff like that. Note
    that you'll have to set up the terminal type after you log in, using
    'export TERM=vt102'.
    Oh, and run the client in vt. It'll play nicely with your colors, let
    vi work almost properly, and when the client dies at the end, it just
    takes out vt, not the window you ran it in.
    In my usual crackheaded fashion, I've decided to distribute using .tgz
    this time instead of .tbz, since .tgz seems to be more of the standard
    and easier to deal with, in my opinion. So we now have an updated
    libssh2.tgz and ssh2 binary in contrib/john
    Enjoy (thanks Aki!)

    John
    --
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

  6. [9fans] Re: ssh2, at long last!

    On Jan 2, 2008 4:20 PM, John Floren wrote:

    > On Jan 2, 2008 3:05 PM, John Floren wrote:
    > >
    > > On Jan 2, 2008 2:29 PM, John Floren wrote:
    > > > Okay, we've all been waiting for ssh2 on Plan 9 for quite a few years.
    > > > Ron Minnich and I have hacked around on Andrey's port of ssh2 to the
    > > > point where it is moderately usable. The client is extremely basic. It
    > > > doesn't send anything to the server until you hit enter; don't expect
    > > > to be using emacs any time soon under this, but you can use your basic
    > > > commands. It seems to take the whole window with it sometimes upon
    > > > exit, but we're hoping that by having more people banging on it we can
    > > > get these things worked out before long.
    > > > The source is at /n/sources/contrib/john/libssh2.tgz
    > > > (http://netlib.bell-labs.com/sources/.../libssh2.tgz);
    > > > there's also a precompiled binary at /n/sources/contrib/john/ssh2
    > > > If you want debugging, set the SSH2DEBUG variable to a hex value
    > > > before running. 0xFF will set maximum debugging, I don't know the
    > > > other values.
    > > > Please send feedback; anybody who wants to write a more complex client
    > > > should do that ASAP.
    > > >

    > > Stupid mistake on my part... the file I put up as libssh2.tgz is not,
    > > in fact, a gzipped tarball. It's just a tar. I'm running bzip2 as we
    > > speak, so you can get libssh2.tbz in a few minutes
    > >

    > After an amazingly fast bit of hacking, Aki has given us raw mode, so
    > you can now run (to a limited extent) vi and stuff like that. Note
    > that you'll have to set up the terminal type after you log in, using
    > 'export TERM=vt102'.
    > Oh, and run the client in vt. It'll play nicely with your colors, let
    > vi work almost properly, and when the client dies at the end, it just
    > takes out vt, not the window you ran it in.
    > In my usual crackheaded fashion, I've decided to distribute using .tgz
    > this time instead of .tbz, since .tgz seems to be more of the standard
    > and easier to deal with, in my opinion. So we now have an updated
    > libssh2.tgz and ssh2 binary in contrib/john
    > Enjoy (thanks Aki!)

    One more thing. If you haven't figured it out on your own, put 'vt'
    into raw mode after you've logged in. Everything plays much nicer
    then. Oh, and there's a slight change up on sources--the client now
    requests a vt102 terminal by default instead of the old default,
    'vanilla'.

    John
    --
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

  7. Re: [9fans] Re: ssh2, at long last!

    > then. Oh, and there's a slight change up on sources--the client now
    > requests a vt102 terminal by default instead of the old default,

    not a 3270?

  8. Re: [9fans] Re: ssh2, at long last!

    On Jan 3, 2008 11:43 AM, Charles Forsyth wrote:
    > > then. Oh, and there's a slight change up on sources--the client now
    > > requests a vt102 terminal by default instead of the old default,

    > not a 3270?

    we couldn't get the persistent phosphor mode working.

    ron

+ Reply to Thread