[9fans] iso won't boot on T61 - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] iso won't boot on T61 - Plan9 ; Hi all, I've just got a brand new T61 on which I'd like to install plan9, but to no avail so far. First, and I'm not sure whether this is normal or not, the boot cd does not find what ...

  1. [9fans] iso won't boot on T61

    Hi all,

    I've just got a brand new T61 on which I'd like to install plan9, but to
    no avail so far.
    First, and I'm not sure whether this is normal or not, the boot cd does
    not find what to boot from and requires that I enter the kernel path,
    which seems to be "sdC0!cdboot!9pccd.gz". That one starts booting
    fine, but it soon hangs after those lines are displayed:

    cpu0: 1995MHz GenuineIntel Xeon5000-series (cpuid: AX 0x06FD DX
    0xBFEBFBFF)
    ELCR: 0C00
    pcirouting: Cannot find south bridge PCI.255.31.7
    mapfree: unallocated unbacked physical memory: losing 0xFED20000,
    19791872
    #Y0: Ricoh 476 PCI/Cardbus bridge, F8300000 intl 10

    Can anyone help with that please?

    Cheers,
    Mathieu.

    --
    GPG key on subkeys.pgp.net:

    KeyID: | Fingerprint:
    683DE5F3 | 4324 5818 39AA 9545 95C6 09AF B0A4 DFEA 683D E5F3
    --

  2. [9fans] portuguese - european keymap support

    Hello,

    I'd apreciate if someone is willing to help add support for the
    Portuguese - European keymap.

    What must be done?

    Thanks.

  3. Re: [9fans] portuguese - european keymap support

    There is a keymap for ABNT2 keyboards in x_spager contrib dir.

    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/c...x_spager/pt-BR

    On 12/28/07, Paulo wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'd apreciate if someone is willing to help add support for the
    > Portuguese - European keymap.
    >
    > What must be done?
    >
    > Thanks.

  4. Re: [9fans] portuguese - european keymap support

    * Paulo (pocinho@gmail.com) wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'd apreciate if someone is willing to help add support for the
    > Portuguese - European keymap.
    >
    > What must be done?
    >
    > Thanks.

    In principle it's actually quite simple. First have a look at kbmap(1) and
    kbmap(3), then put a new mapping together. You might want to start with one
    already in /sys/lib/kbmap/ and work from there. (I don't know exactly, but
    the spanish map might make for a good starting point.) Altogether not too
    complicated, but still some gruntwork. And when you're done, don't forget
    the patch.

  5. Re: [9fans] portuguese - european keymap support

    Thanks. I'll be looking into it.

    > Martin Neubauer wrote:
    >
    > In principle it's actually quite simple. First have a look at kbmap(1)
    > and
    > kbmap(3), then put a new mapping together. You might want to start with
    > one
    > already in /sys/lib/kbmap/ and work from there. (I don't know exactly,
    > but
    > the spanish map might make for a good starting point.) Altogether not too
    > complicated, but still some gruntwork. And when you're done, don't forget
    > the patch.

  6. [9fans] Re: iso won't boot on T61 [reason found]

    Ok, turns out all the problems were coming from my hdd in SATA mode,
    seems like it's not supported by plan9 yet...

    The iso boots fine if I switch the drive to ide compat mode in the
    bios. Of course, that means if I want sata when booting on linux (which
    is also installed on that machine) I need to switch it back again
    everytime. :/

    Any chance of SATA for that drive to be supported in the near future on
    plan9?

    Also I'd like your opinions on sata vs pata please? Like, is operating
    the hdd in compat mode in Linux a big loss compared as if operated in
    AHCI mode? Do I loose speed for example?

    Cheers,
    Mathieu

    --
    GPG key on subkeys.pgp.net:

    KeyID: | Fingerprint:
    683DE5F3 | 4324 5818 39AA 9545 95C6 09AF B0A4 DFEA 683D E5F3
    --

  7. Re: [9fans] Re: iso won't boot on T61 [reason found]

    could you send me the output of pci from
    your plan 9 machine? it would also be helpful
    if you could copy down the output of the e820 scan
    and send that along. sata (ahci) should be supported
    on your machine, i believe.

    on a laptop, i don't think one would notice a difference in
    transfer rate. the main advantages of sata are support for more
    than 4 devices and support for more than 2 devices on non-shared
    links and support for hot plugging. it is also easier to mix
    pata & sata drives if the sata drives are treated as sata drives.

    - erik

  8. Re: [9fans] Re: iso won't boot on T61 [reason found]

    On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 09:04:21AM -0500, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > could you send me the output of pci from
    > your plan 9 machine? it would also be helpful
    > if you could copy down the output of the e820 scan
    > and send that along. sata (ahci) should be supported
    > on your machine, i believe.

    Here's the pci -v log.
    How do I get you that e820 scan?

    > on a laptop, i don't think one would notice a difference in
    > transfer rate. the main advantages of sata are support for more
    > than 4 devices and support for more than 2 devices on non-shared
    > links and support for hot plugging. it is also easier to mix
    > pata & sata drives if the sata drives are treated as sata drives.

    Thx for the tip. Then if I can't get sata to work on plan9, maybe I'll
    modify my linux install so that it uses pata (so that I don't have to
    switch it in the bios everytime I switch of os).

    Mathieu.

    --
    GPG key on subkeys.pgp.net:

    KeyID: | Fingerprint:
    683DE5F3 | 4324 5818 39AA 9545 95C6 09AF B0A4 DFEA 683D E5F3
    --

  9. Re: [9fans] Re: iso won't boot on T61 [reason found]

    i will not have full access till perhaps monday, but i will be
    happy to solve this problem for you offline. the e820 scan results
    should be printed duriung the boot process.

    - erik

+ Reply to Thread