I think you are under-reading Erik's comment above about the
flexibility of these facilities ((/cfg/$sysname/ /bin/)^cpurc[.local]
and friends) being mere rc. I also think the suggested changes are
rather narrowly focused on the procedure described in the wiki for
constructing an `all-in one' cpu/auth/terminal. I'm not sure you've
given the same consideration to the many ways of distributing Plan 9
that has been given to the default scripts in the distribution. (This
is not to say those default scripts can't be improved.)

The suggested changes are really documentation (that's why they are
all commented) for building a very particular sort of `combo' Plan 9
system; IMO you should maybe change the wiki but not the scripts.

--
Josh