[9fans] u9fs authentication - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] u9fs authentication - Plan9 ; Once again I have to admit I don't really understand plan9 authentication, can anyone help? I want to use p9sk1 authentication to a u9fs server on a mac. I have set up the server OK (launchd etc), but I cannot ...

  1. [9fans] u9fs authentication

    Once again I have to admit I don't really understand plan9 authentication,
    can anyone help?

    I want to use p9sk1 authentication to a u9fs server on a mac. I have set
    up the server OK (launchd etc), but I cannot get the authentication to work.

    I want to have a seperate password for the mac - I don't want to have to keep
    bootes cleartext password on the mac (even if it is readable only by root). I
    am not even sure if this is possible, however this is what I tried.

    What I tried was to do was to create a plan9 account (powerbook) specifically
    for my mac.

    on the host 'mac' /etc/u9fs.keys contains:
    macpassword
    powerbook
    plan9.authentication.dom

    I used auth/secuser to set the password for powerbook to macpassword on the auth
    server's console.

    then I try to connect to it using:

    % srv -s mac mac
    post...
    % mount -k 'user=powerbook' /srv/mac /n/mac

    # fgui un-hides here and I enter the password

    mount: auth_proxy: auth_proxy write fd: protocol botch
    mount: mount /n/mac: authentication failed

    anyone any ideas?

    Thanks, Steve

  2. Re: [9fans] u9fs authentication

    > on the host 'mac' /etc/u9fs.keys contains:
    > macpassword
    > powerbook
    > plan9.authentication.dom
    >
    > I used auth/secuser to set the password for powerbook to macpassword on the auth
    > server's console.
    >
    > then I try to connect to it using:

    This would have worked except that auth/secuser
    edits secure store users. You wanted auth/changeuser.

    Russ

  3. Re: [9fans] u9fs authentication

    > This would have worked except that auth/secuser
    > edits secure store users. You wanted auth/changeuser.

    hell!

    Thanks for that it works now,
    I'al do a wiki page as penance.

    -Steve