Re: [9fans] ata drive capabilities - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] ata drive capabilities - Plan9 ; > >From everything I've seen, SMART has zero correlation with real > hardware issues -- confirmed by a discussion with someone at a big > search company. SMART is dumb. If it's everyone's favorite ``big search company'' in question, they ...

  1. Re: [9fans] ata drive capabilities

    > >From everything I've seen, SMART has zero correlation with real
    > hardware issues -- confirmed by a discussion with someone at a big
    > search company. SMART is dumb.

    If it's everyone's favorite ``big search company'' in question, they
    have an [only moderately depressing] paper:
    http://209.85.163.132/papers/disk_failures.pdf

    Turns out from their big sample that, nope, SMART isn't good at
    predicting failure; nor are temperature or activity levels. Instead
    it seems like almost entirely a manufacturing crapshoot.

    SMART looks no smarter in CMU's study of the same topic, which nixes
    age as a good failure predictor, too:
    http://www.usenix.org/event/fast07/t...chroeder_html/
    index.html

    --
    Josh

  2. Re: [9fans] ata drive capabilities

    On Dec 26, 2007 7:44 AM, Joshua Wood wrote:
    > If it's everyone's favorite ``big search company'' in question, they
    > have an [only moderately depressing] paper:
    > http://209.85.163.132/papers/disk_failures.pdf

    where it says:
    : Most age-related results are impacted by
    : drive vintages. However, in this paper, we do not show a
    : breakdown of drives per manufacturer, model, or vintage
    : due to the proprietary nature of these data.

    what a pity! it would have been so great to have had
    an objective assessment of reliability by manufacturer.

    i've found it really quite hard to find useful data to
    indicate how reliable a drive might be.

  3. Re: [9fans] ata drive capabilities

    > what a pity! it would have been so great to have had
    > an objective assessment of reliability by manufacturer.
    >
    > i've found it really quite hard to find useful data to
    > indicate how reliable a drive might be.

    would it really help? any numbers generated would be indicators
    for models no longer being sold. do we know that past manufacturing
    performance insures future performance?

    i think that's why they call different drive batches "vintages".

    - erik

+ Reply to Thread