[9fans] ata drive capabilities - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] ata drive capabilities - Plan9 ; Hi 9fans, can someone on this list tell me how to interpret the config part of cpu% cat /dev/sdC0/ctl inquiry WDC WD1600JB-00REA0 config 427A capabilities 2F00 dma 00550020 dmactl 00550020 rwm 16 rwmctl 0 lba48always off I am trying to ...

  1. [9fans] ata drive capabilities

    Hi 9fans,

    can someone on this list tell me how to interpret the config part of
    cpu% cat /dev/sdC0/ctl
    inquiry WDC WD1600JB-00REA0
    config 427A capabilities 2F00 dma 00550020 dmactl 00550020 rwm 16 rwmctl 0 lba48always off

    I am trying to figure out whether the disk signals the implementation
    of the SMART feature set.

    Kind regards,

    Christian

    --
    You may use my gpg key for replies:
    pub 1024D/47F79788 2005/02/02 Christian Kellermann (C-Keen)

  2. Re: [9fans] ata drive capabilities

    You can tell this from your BIOS setup.

    On Dec 25, 2007, at 4:40 PM, Christian Kellermann wrote:

    > Hi 9fans,
    >
    > can someone on this list tell me how to interpret the config part of
    > cpu% cat /dev/sdC0/ctl
    > inquiry WDC WD1600JB-00REA0
    > config 427A capabilities 2F00 dma 00550020 dmactl 00550020 rwm 16
    > rwmctl 0 lba48always off
    >
    > I am trying to figure out whether the disk signals the implementation
    > of the SMART feature set.
    >
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Christian
    >
    > --
    > You may use my gpg key for replies:
    > pub 1024D/47F79788 2005/02/02 Christian Kellermann (C-Keen)

  3. Re: [9fans] ata drive capabilities

    > Hi 9fans,
    >
    > can someone on this list tell me how to interpret the config part of
    > cpu% cat /dev/sdC0/ctl
    > inquiry WDC WD1600JB-00REA0
    > config 427A capabilities 2F00 dma 00550020 dmactl 00550020 rwm 16 rwmctl 0 lba48always off
    >
    > I am trying to figure out whether the disk signals the implementation
    > of the SMART feature set.
    >
    > Kind regards,

    in the return of identify (packet) device, if bits 14:16 of word 83 is 1, then
    smart support is indicated by word 82 bit 1. otherwise smart isn't supported.

    word 49 is the capabilities word and the important bits of the configuration
    are:

    10,11 iordy configuration
    bit 8 dma support
    9 lba support

    the intel/amd sata driver support smart commands via
    echo smartenable>/dev/sdXX/ctl # turn drive's smart on.
    echo smart>/dev/sdXX/ctl # smart report status.
    this isn't implemented in the sdata driver, but i think a similar
    strategy could be employed. note: smart commands are not dma
    commands. also, smart support doesn't imply much about what
    commands are supported or much about the return values.
    report returns if the drive is likely to fail seems the most useful.

    bios isn't always helpful in this regard. some bios don't report
    smart status. some bios do a smart check on power on and won't
    boot with a drive that smart considers suspect. (we have a drive
    in the lab that smart declares will fail any minute now. it's been
    this way for 2 years.) this can be a big problem if you have a
    machine with raid that won't boot due to a drive failure.
    (why have a raid if one failure means an unbootable machine?)

    - erik

  4. Re: [9fans] ata drive capabilities

    On Dec 25, 2007 6:59 PM, erik quanstrom wrote:
    >(we have a drive
    > in the lab that smart declares will fail any minute now. it's been
    > this way for 2 years.)

    >From everything I've seen, SMART has zero correlation with real

    hardware issues -- confirmed by a discussion with someone at a big
    search company. SMART is dumb.

    > this can be a big problem if you have a
    > machine with raid that won't boot due to a drive failure.
    > (why have a raid if one failure means an unbootable machine?)

    it makes great ad copy.

    ron

  5. Re: [9fans] ata drive capabilities

    On Wed Dec 26 01:33:14 EST 2007, rminnich@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Dec 25, 2007 6:59 PM, erik quanstrom wrote:
    > >(we have a drive
    > > in the lab that smart declares will fail any minute now. it's been
    > > this way for 2 years.)

    > From everything I've seen, SMART has zero correlation with real
    > hardware issues -- confirmed by a discussion with someone at a big
    > search company. SMART is dumb.

    the google paper shows a 40% afr for the first 6 months after some
    smart errors appear. (unfortunately they don't do numbers for
    a simple smart status.)

    from my understanding of how google do things, loosing a drive just
    means they need to replace it. so it's cheeper to let drives fail.
    on the other hand, we have our main filesystem raided on an aoe
    appliance. suppose that one of those raids has two disks showing
    a smart status of "will fail". in this case i want to know the elevated
    risk and i will allocate a spare drive to replace at least one of the
    drives.

    i guess this is the long way of saying, it all depends on how painful
    loosing your data might be. if it's painful enough, even a poor tool
    like smart is better than nothing.

    - erik

  6. Re: [9fans] ata drive capabilities

    Thanks for your replies!

    The reason I asked is that I am thinking about a couple of methods
    to detect failures of my two mirrored disks (by fs) automatically.
    How do you check if your disks are still ok? I know I could invest
    in a real raid controller and rely on that but I still like the
    idea of being independent of yet another piece of hardware which
    internal formatting of the disk is hidden from me..

    Kind regards,

    Christian

    --
    You may use my gpg key for replies:
    pub 1024D/47F79788 2005/02/02 Christian Kellermann (C-Keen)

  7. Re: [9fans] ata drive capabilities

    > How do you check if your disks are still ok?

    i used to run cmp on the two mirrorred partitions to verify weekly
    that devfs hadn't missed anything. i would imagine if one of the disks
    went south cmp would fail.

  8. Re: [9fans] ata drive capabilities

    Christian Kellermann wrote:
    > Thanks for your replies!
    >
    > The reason I asked is that I am thinking about a couple of methods
    > to detect failures of my two mirrored disks (by fs) automatically.
    > How do you check if your disks are still ok? I know I could invest

    The newer high capacity drives all have high "raw error read rates" but
    they're generally all corrected as indicated by an equivalent value of
    "hardware ECC corrected." So this does not seem to really correspond to
    anything.

    Frankly, the one SMART variable I've seen that seems to always
    correspond to impending disk failure is the "reallocated sector count."
    Once you see that incrementing, it's time to decommission that disk
    for anything other than scratch storage. Such drives are good for
    intermediate files of non-linear video editing until they die.

  9. Re: [9fans] ata drive capabilities

    > Thanks for your replies!
    >
    > The reason I asked is that I am thinking about a couple of methods
    > to detect failures of my two mirrored disks (by fs) automatically.
    > How do you check if your disks are still ok? I know I could invest
    > in a real raid controller and rely on that but I still like the
    > idea of being independent of yet another piece of hardware which
    > internal formatting of the disk is hidden from me..
    >
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Christian

    i'm not sure you need that. fs(3) already logs i/o errors which should
    be as good an indication of trouble as smart. i/o errors have the benefit
    of not being drive dependent. the recovery will need to be done by
    hand anway, as fs doesn't have the concept of device state. (there are
    some subtile difficulties, too. sometimes drives read an lba correctly
    but writes fail.)

    for something more automatic, devices would need state and an
    online recovery mechanism.

    - erik

  10. Re: [9fans] ata drive capabilities

    * andrey mirtchovski [071226 21:17]:
    > > How do you check if your disks are still ok?

    > i used to run cmp on the two mirrorred partitions to verify weekly
    > that devfs hadn't missed anything. i would imagine if one of the disks
    > went south cmp would fail.

    Ah Thanks!

    I have fs(3) configured as follows:

    cpu% cat /dev/fs/ctl
    mirror arenas /dev/sdD0/arenas /dev/sdD1/arenas
    mirror isect /dev/sdD0/isect /dev/sdD1/isect
    mirror fscfg /dev/sdD0/fscfg /dev/sdD1/fscfg

    And my disks have been formatted and partitioned beforehand like this:

    cpu% lc sdD0
    arenas ctl data fscfg isect plan9 raw
    cpu% lc sdD1
    arenas ctl data fscfg isect plan9 raw

    Still if I know run cmp against the arena partition from the running
    system it says they differ, and ls says the same:

    cpu% lc -ld sdD*
    --rw-r----- S 0 bootes bootes 285779527168 Dec 5 03:37 arenas --rw-r----- S 0 bootes bootes 285777530368 Dec 5 03:37 arenas
    --rw-r----- S 0 bootes bootes 0 Dec 5 03:37 ctl --rw-r----- S0 bootes bootes 0 Dec 5 03:37 ctl
    --rw-r----- S 0 bootes bootes 300069052416 Dec 5 03:37 data --rw-r----- S 0 bootes bootes 300069052416 Dec 5 03:37 data
    --rw-r----- S 0 bootes bootes 512 Dec 5 03:37 fscfg --rw-r----- S 0 bootes bootes 512 Dec 5 03:37 fscfg
    --rw-r----- S 0 bootes bootes 14288976384 Dec 5 03:37 isect --rw-r----- S0 bootes bootes 14288876544 Dec 5 03:37 isect
    --rw-r----- S 0 bootes bootes 300068504064 Dec 5 03:37 plan9 --rw-r----- S0 bootes bootes 300066407424 Dec 5 03:37 plan9
    -lrw------- S 0 bootes bootes 0 Dec 5 03:37 raw -lrw------- S0 bootes bootes 0 Dec 5 03:37 raw

    I cannot see the /dev/fs directory from my server terminal so I
    wonder if fs is even active? But if it is not I wonder how my venti
    tells me it is using /def/fs/arenas for storage?

    I guess that fs(3) is working properly otherwise it would not show
    the correct configuration on a simple bind. But then why do the
    disks differ and would it suffice to dd the contents of sdD0 to
    sdD1 using the live cd?

    Kind regards,

    Christian

    --
    You may use my gpg key for replies:
    pub 1024D/47F79788 2005/02/02 Christian Kellermann (C-Keen)

+ Reply to Thread