[9fans] CPU Server - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] CPU Server - Plan9 ; Hi, the page Configuring_a_Standalone_CPU_Server is not correct and the people can have problems to configure a CPU Server. Examples: 1 - - - "cd /cfg; mkdir $sysname; dircp example $sysname (...) At the end of cpurc.local ..." The cpurc.local is ...

  1. [9fans] CPU Server

    Hi,

    the page Configuring_a_Standalone_CPU_Server is not correct and the
    people can have problems to configure a CPU Server. Examples:

    1 - - -

    "cd /cfg; mkdir $sysname; dircp example $sysname
    (...)
    At the end of cpurc.local ..."

    The cpurc.local is only in /bin, not in /cfg/example/

    2 - - -

    'cat /dev/drivers' will list the available devices. In this case we have
    m (mouse), i (draw), S (sd - disk), and t (uart - serial); if you get
    errors about /dev/realmode, include P in this list:

    for (i in m i S t)
    bind -a '#'^$i /dev >/dev/null >[2=1]

    Is OK, but ... why is not it in the file like in /bin/termrc?

    3 - - -

    Uncomment the two lines indicated in cpurc to enable the authentication
    functions:

    # auth/keyfs -wp -m /mnt/keys /adm/keys >/dev/null >[2=1]
    # auth/cron >>/sys/log/cron >[2=1] &

    This lines are not in the /cfg/$sysname/cpurc file

    4 - - -

    Add these lines to /cfg/$sysname/cpustart

    The cpustart file do not exists

    - - -

    Thanks.

  2. Re: [9fans] CPU Server

    Hi!
    There definitely is some truth about the wiki page not being completely correct, though it is not very hard to figure out either.

    > Hi,
    >
    > the page Configuring_a_Standalone_CPU_Server is not correct and the
    > people can have problems to configure a CPU Server. Examples:
    >
    > 1 - - -
    >
    > "cd /cfg; mkdir $sysname; dircp example $sysname
    > (...)
    > At the end of cpurc.local ..."
    >
    > The cpurc.local is only in /bin, not in /cfg/example/
    >
    > 2 - - -
    >
    > 'cat /dev/drivers' will list the available devices. In this case we have
    > m (mouse), i (draw), S (sd - disk), and t (uart - serial); if you get
    > errors about /dev/realmode, include P in this list:
    >
    > for (i in m i S t)
    > bind -a '#'^$i /dev >/dev/null >[2=1]
    >
    > Is OK, but ... why is not it in the file like in /bin/termrc?
    >
    > 3 - - -
    >
    > Uncomment the two lines indicated in cpurc to enable the authentication
    > functions:
    >
    > # auth/keyfs -wp -m /mnt/keys /adm/keys >/dev/null >[2=1]
    > # auth/cron >>/sys/log/cron >[2=1] &
    >
    > This lines are not in the /cfg/$sysname/cpurc file

    iirc these lines go into /rc/bin/cpurc, not /cfg/$sysname/cpurc

    > 4 - - -
    >
    > Add these lines to /cfg/$sysname/cpustart
    >
    > The cpustart file do not exists
    >
    > - - -
    >
    > Thanks.

    It would be great if you could change the wiki page!
    Cheers!

  3. Re: [9fans] CPU Server

    > > This lines are not in the /cfg/$sysname/cpurc file
    > >

    > iirc these lines go into /rc/bin/cpurc, not /cfg/$sysname/cpurc

    actually, neither exactly reflects the state of the current dist's cpurc.
    there are provisions for "site-specific startup", "cpu-specific startup"
    (/cfg/$sysname/cpurc) and "cpu-specific late startup"
    (/cfg/sysname/cpustart).

    but since it's just a shell script, you can change it any way you'd like.
    i find it a bit easier to manage changes with big switch statement.
    a vast majority of our cpu servers don't have a case in the switch
    anyway.

    but then again, i'm a well-known luddite. ;-)

    - erik

  4. Re: [9fans] CPU Server

    Hola,

    IMHO we can make this changes:

    1. Create a new file /cfg/example/cpustart with this contents:

    # The auth services
    # aux/listen -q -t /rc/bin/service.auth -d /rc/bin/service il
    # aux/listen -q -t /rc/bin/service.auth -d /rc/bin/service tcp

    # To start rio
    # aux/mouse $mouseport
    # aux/vga -l $vgasize
    # exec rio

    2. Add this lines to end of the /rc/bin/cpurc.local file

    # bind the devices to use
    # for (i in m i S t)
    # bind -a '#'^$i /dev >/dev/null >[2=1]

    At the other hand, why in the /cfg/example/cpurc file the "dns" command
    is "ndb/dns -s" and not "ndb/dns -r". Probably we need to leave both lines:

    # Uncomment if you are a DNS server
    # ndb/dns -s
    # Uncomment if you are DNS resolver
    # ndb/dns -r

    After the comments, I will create a patch and I will make the changes in
    the Wiki.

    Thanks.

    Saludos.

    erik quanstrom wrote:
    >>> This lines are not in the /cfg/$sysname/cpurc file
    >>>

    >> iirc these lines go into /rc/bin/cpurc, not /cfg/$sysname/cpurc
    >>

    > actually, neither exactly reflects the state of the current dist's cpurc.
    > there are provisions for "site-specific startup", "cpu-specific startup"
    > (/cfg/$sysname/cpurc) and "cpu-specific late startup"
    > (/cfg/sysname/cpustart).
    >
    > but since it's just a shell script, you can change it any way you'd like.
    > i find it a bit easier to manage changes with big switch statement.
    > a vast majority of our cpu servers don't have a case in the switch
    > anyway.
    >
    > but then again, i'm a well-known luddite. ;-)
    >
    > - erik

+ Reply to Thread