[9fans] Building P9P for multiple architectures from the samesource tree? - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Building P9P for multiple architectures from the samesource tree? - Plan9 ; Is it possible to build P9P for multiple architectures (e.g. linux i386 and amd64) in the same tree? I looked at the documentation but didn't see anything. In my work environment I can't install in /usr/local/plan9 because I don't control ...

  1. [9fans] Building P9P for multiple architectures from the samesource tree?

    Is it possible to build P9P for multiple architectures (e.g. linux i386 and amd64) in the same tree? I looked at the documentation but didn't see anything.

    In my work environment I can't install in /usr/local/plan9 because I don't control the machines, so I install in my (NFS mounted) home directory. This has worked fine up until now because all the machines are running i386 linux. Unfortunately, we are now starting to have some machines running amd64 linux, so I need to build an amd64 version of P9P. I would like to avoid having two complete copies of the tree if possible.

    Does anybody have any suggestions.

    thanks,
    Peter Canning
    PS: I imagine I could solve this nicely with namespaces if I was running real plan9.

  2. Re: [9fans] Building P9P for multiple architectures from the samesource tree?

    > Is it possible to build P9P for multiple architectures (e.g.
    > linux i386 and amd64) in the same tree? I looked at the
    > documentation but didn't see anything.
    >
    > In my work environment I can't install in /usr/local/plan9 because
    > I don't control the machines, so I install in my (NFS mounted)
    > home directory. This has worked fine up until now because all
    > the machines are running i386 linux. Unfortunately, we are now
    > starting to have some machines running amd64 linux, so I need
    > to build an amd64 version of P9P. I would like to avoid having
    > two complete copies of the tree if possible.

    The easiest thing to do is to create a second tree that
    symlinks back to the first for all top-level directories
    except bin and lib.

    The right thing to do is change $PLAN9/src/mkhdr to
    change BIN and LIBDIR to something like

    BIN=$PLAN9/bin/$OBJTYPE
    LIBDIR=$PLAN9/lib/$OBJTYPE

    and then also change the $PLAN9/bin/9l script to use
    the right -L argument. There are likely to be other
    places that "know" the paths of those directories and
    will need to be fixed too. This will be more work than
    the sleazy symlink fix.

    Russ

+ Reply to Thread