> Does C99 or any other C mandate the actual memory layout
> of floats and doubles or the exact conversion of constant
> representations?
> I'm fairly sure they somehow mandate IEEE 754 properties,
> but do they actually say that floats and doubles have to be stored
> exactly that way in 4 or 8 bytes?
>
> Even if we assume sizeof(double) == 8,
> what if my implementation is perverse and interleaves the exponent
> bits amongst the mantissa bits?
> Where is this disallowed in the standard(s)?

It doesn't matter what the standard says; it matters what implementations do.
C implementations are going to provide what the underlying
hardware does, and almost all hardware does IEEE 754.

> as long as the conversion you're after has an exact ieee representation,
> i can't see how two compliant implementations could come up with
> differing representations. (two different numbers can't have the same
> ieee representation, except -0 and +0.) the conversion process doesn't
> need any floating point itself and the only interpolation comes when
> numbers don't have exact representations.

Historically, it has not always been true that decimal <-> binary
conversion of doubles has been precise enough to replicate a
specific bit pattern. While conversion doesn't require floating
point, it is often done in floating point anyway for convenience.

Russ