plan 9 newbie...!!!!! - Plan9

This is a discussion on plan 9 newbie...!!!!! - Plan9 ; Hi All, Am an operating system enthusiast & in the future intend to take part in OS development seriously.Also am always interested in works of Bell Labs. I have an old laptop P2 266Mhz with 32 MB RAM & 4 ...

  1. plan 9 newbie...!!!!!

    Hi All,

    Am an operating system enthusiast & in the future intend to take part
    in OS development seriously.Also am always interested in works of Bell
    Labs.

    I have an old laptop P2 266Mhz with 32 MB RAM & 4 GB HD .I want to
    just use it for OS testing & getting programming experience under
    different OS'es.Already I have a desktop with WinXp / Open Solaris b66
    in dual mode.

    I would like to use Minix 3 or Plan 9 in my old laptop ( I dont wanna
    try Linux ) & preferably next choice will be freeBSD.Is it possible to
    install & use Plan 9 with Minix 3 in dual mode ??? or Plan 9 with Free
    BSD in dual ?????Any suggestions Plzz??? Or is it worth i run Plan 9
    alone in that laptop??? ( Also am unsure whether Plan 9 will run in
    my laptop configuration,But surely i will try )

    Also is there a good scope for programming environment in Plan 9 ?? I
    would be programming in C....Are there pre built compilers for C in
    Plan 9 that come with jus like Linux ?????

  2. Re: [9fans] plan 9 newbie...!!!!!

    On 20/12/2007, codewarrior85 wrote:

    > Also is there a good scope for programming environment in Plan 9 ?? I
    > would be programming in C....Are there pre built compilers for C in
    > Plan 9 that come with jus like Linux ?????

    There are compilers for C for several architectures. If you are
    interested in programming
    for Plan9, take a look at:

    http://lsub.org/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf

    Also notes to plan9 kernel source:
    http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/who/nemo/9.pdf

    Pay a visit to the wiki to see installation instruction and supported hardware.
    http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/plan_9_wiki/

    Good luck !!!!
    --
    Fidonet: 2:345/432.2

  3. Re: plan 9 newbie...!!!!!

    On Dec 20, 6:28 am, vej...@gmail.com (Juan M. Mendez) wrote:
    > On 20/12/2007, codewarrior85 wrote:
    >
    > > Also is there a good scope for programming environment in Plan 9 ?? I
    > > would be programming in C....Are there pre built compilers for C in
    > > Plan 9 that come with jus like Linux ?????

    > There are compilers for C for several architectures. If you are
    > interested in programming
    > for Plan9, take a look at:
    >
    > http://lsub.org/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf
    >
    > Also notes to plan9 kernel source:http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/who/nemo/9.pdf
    >
    > Pay a visit to the wiki to see installation instruction and supported hardware.http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/plan_9_wiki/
    >
    > Good luck !!!!
    > --
    > Fidonet: 2:345/432.2

    Thanx a lot for the info.........

    But also i would be really happy if anyone could answer my other
    questions....Because i dont want to make a mess of the installation in
    a dual mode....So if any one ever tried Plan 9 in a dual mode....Plz
    provide me some info on it....whether can i use it along with any BSD
    version or Minix 3.......i.e ....I would love to have Plan 9 with
    Minix 3 .....or Plan 9 with BSD.... Any valuable suggestion
    plz !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  4. Re: [9fans] plan 9 newbie...!!!!!

    On Dec 20, 2007 7:39 PM, codewarrior85 wrote:
    > I would like to use Minix 3 or Plan 9 in my old laptop ( I dont wanna
    > try Linux ) & preferably next choice will be freeBSD.Is it possible to
    > install & use Plan 9 with Minix 3 in dual mode ???

    yes you can dual boot plan 9 just like any other OS and with a
    dedicated testing machine youve got nothing to worry about so what if
    you do something wrong in the install just nuke it and do it right
    next time

    > Also is there a good scope for programming environment in Plan 9 ?? I
    > would be programming in C....Are there pre built compilers for C in
    > Plan 9 that come with jus like Linux ?????

    yes a vast majority of the code youll come across in plan 9 is in c
    just dont expect to find gcc the plan 9 compilers are much nicer
    anyway
    sorry about the messy writing someone filled the punctuation quota
    for the thread already so i only have one hyphen left which i need for
    my sig
    -sqweek

  5. Re: [9fans] plan 9 newbie...!!!!!

    On Dec 20, 2007 3:20 PM, sqweek wrote:
    > sorry about the messy writing someone filled the punctuation quota
    > for the thread already so i only have one hyphen left which i need for
    > my sig

    if your lines were shorter, i might start calling you archie.

  6. Re: [9fans] Re: plan 9 newbie...!!!!!

    > On Dec 20, 6:28 am, vej...@gmail.com (Juan M. Mendez) wrote:
    >> On 20/12/2007, codewarrior85 wrote:
    >>
    >> > Also is there a good scope for programming environment in Plan 9 ?? I
    >> > would be programming in C....Are there pre built compilers for C in
    >> > Plan 9 that come with jus like Linux ?????

    >> There are compilers for C for several architectures. If you are
    >> interested in programming
    >> for Plan9, take a look at:
    >>
    >> http://lsub.org/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf
    >>
    >> Also notes to plan9 kernel source:http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/who/nemo/9.pdf
    >>
    >> Pay a visit to the wiki to see installation instruction and supported hardware.http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/plan_9_wiki/
    >>
    >> Good luck !!!!
    >> --
    >> Fidonet: 2:345/432.2

    > Thanx a lot for the info.........
    >
    > But also i would be really happy if anyone could answer my other
    > questions....Because i dont want to make a mess of the installation in
    > a dual mode....So if any one ever tried Plan 9 in a dual mode....Plz
    > provide me some info on it....whether can i use it along with any BSD
    > version or Minix 3.......i.e ....I would love to have Plan 9 with
    > Minix 3 .....or Plan 9 with BSD.... Any valuable suggestion
    > plz !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Despite common practice, "........." is not actually valid
    punctuation, although "..." is. Nor does !!!!!!!! indicate
    competent excitement; instead, it suggests someone who
    just escaped AOL. If you actually do some coding, r
    emember that it's "if (!foo)", not "if.......(!!!!!!!!foo)".

    Okay, grammar nazi mode off. Plan 9 works fine in
    multiboot. Just make sure you *don't* install the Plan
    9 bootloader and MBR; you can then boot into your other
    operating system and set up its bootloader to include
    Plan 9. It works well with GRUB and LILO, and while
    I've never done it, it would seem that the *BSD loaders
    can handle it too.

    Have fun

    John

  7. Re: plan 9 newbie...!!!!!

    Thanx a lot to Juan M. Mendez,roger peppe,sqweek,Brian L. Stuart for
    the quickest reply...........Also thanx for the suggestions....Lookin
    forward for a great learning experience....

+ Reply to Thread