Re: [9fans] graphical clock demo at IWP9 - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] graphical clock demo at IWP9 - Plan9 ; Sorry, not in server. On Dec 18, 2007 4:06 PM, John DeGood wrote: > Ron Minnich encouraged me to bring my incomplete little graphical clock > program to IWP9, and then he encouraged me to complete it. So please > ...

  1. Re: [9fans] graphical clock demo at IWP9

    Sorry,

    not in server.

    On Dec 18, 2007 4:06 PM, John DeGood wrote:
    > Ron Minnich encouraged me to bring my incomplete little graphical clock
    > program to IWP9, and then he encouraged me to complete it. So please
    > blame Ron for this:
    >
    > http://degood.org/plan9/mclock.tar
    >
    > History of this clock program: in the 1970s Dave Robinson, an EE
    > professor at UDel, wrote a cute graphical clock program in PDP-11 BASIC
    > that displayed on a Tektronix vector graphics terminal
    > in his lab. The clock
    > image was drawn as vectors, with the filled areas composed of hundreds
    > of side-by-side vectors.
    >
    > In 1982 I got a printout of the program from Dave, typed in all the
    > vector coordinates, and then rewrote the program in FORTRAN for an HP
    > 3000 timeshared minicomputer, outputting escape sequences to an HP 2648
    > raster graphics terminal
    > in my lab.
    >
    > Flash forward ~25 years: I stumbled across a line printer listing (on
    > green bar paper, of course) of my 1982 program in my basement, and on a
    > whim decided to rewrite it in C for Plan 9 using draw(2). It looked
    > very retro. I tried adding color, but it still wasn't satisfying
    > because the hundreds of vectors used for area fill weren't compatible
    > with variable size windows. So I tediously determined bounding polygons
    > for each of the filled areas and called fillpoly() instead.
    >
    > Magic feature: when the clock diameter is > 600 pixels (e.g.
    > fullscreen) the linewidth increases from thick=0 (1 pixel) to thick=1 (3
    > pixels) to make the clock more readable from a distance.
    >
    > Have fun.
    >
    > John

  2. Re: [9fans] graphical clock demo at IWP9

    On Tue Dec 18 10:13:21 EST 2007, nemo@lsub.org wrote:
    > Sorry,
    >
    > not in server.

    firefox will download it. hget, wget and friends don't seem to work.

    - erik

+ Reply to Thread