[9fans] imap4d and upas/fs - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] imap4d and upas/fs - Plan9 ; Hello is there any way of serving imaps without running upas/fs for each mail box accessed on the server? i'm running out of memory. I saw that upas/fs is called from auth.c of imap4d with -np so, i suppose it ...

  1. [9fans] imap4d and upas/fs

    Hello

    is there any way of serving imaps without running upas/fs for each
    mail box accessed on the server?

    i'm running out of memory.

    I saw that upas/fs is called from auth.c of imap4d with -np so, i
    suppose it ill not use much memory (if i call it by hand it eats
    268K), but when imap4d execs it, i can't see any command line options
    for fs with ps -a, but i can see high memory usage (depending on the
    box i open).

    is upas/fs executed from other places i don't see? is anyone seeing
    this or i missconfigured something?

    thanks

    gabi

  2. Re: [9fans] imap4d and upas/fs

    > Hello
    >
    > is there any way of serving imaps without running upas/fs for each
    > mail box accessed on the server?
    >
    > i'm running out of memory.
    >
    > I saw that upas/fs is called from auth.c of imap4d with -np so, i
    > suppose it ill not use much memory (if i call it by hand it eats
    > 268K), but when imap4d execs it, i can't see any command line options
    > for fs with ps -a, but i can see high memory usage (depending on the
    > box i open).
    >
    > is upas/fs executed from other places i don't see? is anyone seeing
    > this or i missconfigured something?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > gabi

    unfortunately, this is the expected behavior.
    the only current solution is to have a smaller mailbox.

    - erik

  3. Re: [9fans] imap4d and upas/fs

    * Gabriel Diaz [071215 11:05]:
    > Hello
    >
    > is there any way of serving imaps without running upas/fs for each
    > mail box accessed on the server?
    >
    > i'm running out of memory.
    >
    > I saw that upas/fs is called from auth.c of imap4d with -np so, i
    > suppose it ill not use much memory (if i call it by hand it eats
    > 268K), but when imap4d execs it, i can't see any command line options
    > for fs with ps -a, but i can see high memory usage (depending on the
    > box i open).
    >
    > is upas/fs executed from other places i don't see? is anyone seeing
    > this or i missconfigured something?

    Russ has rewritten p9p's upas/fs to address this problem. p9's
    upas/fs could be patched accordingly IIRC. Russ will know more...

    Regards,

    Christian

    --
    You may use my gpg key for replies:
    pub 1024D/47F79788 2005/02/02 Christian Kellermann (C-Keen)

  4. Re: [9fans] imap4d and upas/fs

    > Russ has rewritten p9p's upas/fs to address this problem. p9's
    > upas/fs could be patched accordingly IIRC. Russ will know more...
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Christian

    p9p upas/fs is quite a different program. it does not handle
    locally-stored mail.

    - erik

  5. Re: [9fans] imap4d and upas/fs

    hello

    oh, so upas/fs is the one which transforms the mailbox format to what
    imap clients expect, i thought that would be done by the imap4d. . .

    thanks

    gabi

    On Dec 15, 2007 3:39 PM, erik quanstrom wrote:

    > > Hello
    > >
    > > is there any way of serving imaps without running upas/fs for each
    > > mail box accessed on the server?
    > >
    > > i'm running out of memory.
    > >
    > > I saw that upas/fs is called from auth.c of imap4d with -np so, i
    > > suppose it ill not use much memory (if i call it by hand it eats
    > > 268K), but when imap4d execs it, i can't see any command line options
    > > for fs with ps -a, but i can see high memory usage (depending on the
    > > box i open).
    > >
    > > is upas/fs executed from other places i don't see? is anyone seeing
    > > this or i missconfigured something?
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >
    > > gabi

    > unfortunately, this is the expected behavior.
    > the only current solution is to have a smaller mailbox.
    >
    > - erik

  6. Re: [9fans] imap4d and upas/fs

    On Sat Dec 15 12:47:08 EST 2007, gabidiaz@gmail.com wrote:
    > hello
    >
    > oh, so upas/fs is the one which transforms the mailbox format to what
    > imap clients expect, i thought that would be done by the imap4d. . .
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > gabi

    not exactly. upas/fs turns its inport fmt into a directory containing
    1 directory per message. this is the standard format that programs
    like imap4d, nedmail and acme Mail can understand. imap4d
    upas/fs's filesystem into imap4 commands. inport fmt can be an
    mbox, imap4 or pop3. i've added support for mail directories
    somewhat similar to mdir format. unfortunately that's not quite
    finished.

    p9p upas/fs can only read imap4 and the directory format is somewhat
    different.

    - erik

+ Reply to Thread