Re: [9fans] p9p + devdraw - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] p9p + devdraw - Plan9 ; > I'd like to understand how devdraw works on plan9port. > > AFAIK , libdraw spawns the devdraw server as subprocess and > talks to it via an pipe. But this means it's not network > transparent. > > Is ...

  1. Re: [9fans] p9p + devdraw

    > I'd like to understand how devdraw works on plan9port.
    >
    > AFAIK, libdraw spawns the devdraw server as subprocess and
    > talks to it via an pipe. But this means it's not network
    > transparent.
    >
    > Is there any way for getting an network transparent
    > display server ?

    What does network-transparent mean?

    If it means "emit curses codes so that everything works
    inside your xterm" then sorry, that can't happen: they're
    graphical interfaces.

    If it means "if you're on some other machine and have
    X forwarding set up right, then a new window pops up
    on your screen" then devdraw *is* network transparent.

    Either way, the situation is no different than if the programs
    linked directly against the X library.

    Russ

  2. Re: [9fans] p9p + devdraw

    > > Is there any way for getting an network transparent
    > > display server ?

    > What does network-transparent mean?
    >
    > If it means "emit curses codes so that everything works
    > inside your xterm" then sorry, that can't happen: they're
    > graphical interfaces.
    >
    > If it means "if you're on some other machine and have
    > X forwarding set up right, then a new window pops up
    > on your screen" then devdraw *is* network transparent.
    >
    > Either way, the situation is no different than if the programs
    > linked directly against the X library.

    I may be wrong but I think he was meaning to use a window (draw
    rectangle...) from
    another machine like when you run rio inside a window after cpuing to
    a cpu server
    and the applications there are drawing here.

    --
    - curiosity sKilled the cat

+ Reply to Thread