[9fans] install problem - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] install problem - Plan9 ; Greetings, I'm a total newbie at Plan 9, but from what I've seen so far I am endlessly intrigued. I would love to make it the native OS on an old Dell laptop, but have encountered some issues. It works ...

  1. [9fans] install problem

    Greetings,

    I'm a total newbie at Plan 9, but from what I've seen so far I am endlessly
    intrigued. I would love to make it the native OS on an old Dell laptop, but
    have encountered some issues. It works great when I run it live, but when I
    try to install to the hard drive, I get the following sequence of events:

    --> while copying the files to the drive, I get this message: "Warning:
    skipping bad log entry".

    --> then when it runs the bootsetup stage, I choose the "Plan9" option, and
    it then says "Preparing menu..." and then just returns me to the beginning
    of the bootsetup routine. It's like the process becomes stuck in a loop.

    --> at this point, I have sometimes tried doing a hard reboot, in which
    case the MBR (from my NetBSD partition) comes up and displays Plan9 as the
    second option, but when I choose it, the screen goes black and nothing
    happens.

    Does anyone recognize what's going wrong here? Does it sound like hardware
    failure or some BIOS/software issue?

    Thank you for your time and attention.

    Cheers,
    James

    This e-mail is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail and any attachments without copying, disclosing or retaining it in any form.

    Ce courriel est confidentiel. Si vous n'etes pas le destinataire designe, veuillez en informer l'expediteur et supprimer ce courriel ainsi que tous fichiers joints sans les copier, divulguer ou conserver d'aucune facon.

  2. Re: [9fans] install problem

    > --> while copying the files to the drive, I get this message: "Warning:
    > skipping bad log entry".
    >
    > --> then when it runs the bootsetup stage, I choose the "Plan9" option, and
    > it then says "Preparing menu..." and then just returns me to the beginning
    > of the bootsetup routine. It's like the process becomes stuck in a loop.
    >
    > --> at this point, I have sometimes tried doing a hard reboot, in which
    > case the MBR (from my NetBSD partition) comes up and displays Plan9 as the
    > second option, but when I choose it, the screen goes black and nothing
    > happens.

    On the CD, what is the date and size of the file /dist/replica/plan9.log ?

    It sounds like you got a CD that was made during the recent
    problems with the pull log. I just did a pull and the current
    log appears to be okay. Perhaps grabbing a new CD image
    will solve the problem.

    Russ

+ Reply to Thread