Building a Floppy Disk - Plan9

This is a discussion on Building a Floppy Disk - Plan9 ; I have been trying to build a custom boot disk. I have a computer with the intel 945g chipset, it seems that if I modify sdata.c it will recognize the sata bus. The problem I have is that when it ...

  1. Building a Floppy Disk

    I have been trying to build a custom boot disk. I have a computer with
    the intel 945g chipset, it seems that if I modify sdata.c it will
    recognize the sata bus. The problem I have is that when it builds the
    root image for the floppy it can't find several programs, i.e touch lc
    and many others. I have looked at the posts in this group, but it
    seems that they are out of date or don't address this issue. What do i
    have to build in order for the floppy to be built correctly.

    Thanks
    Bob

  2. Re: [9fans] Building a Floppy Disk

    On Fri Dec 14 04:54:54 EST 2007, rpangrazio@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have been trying to build a custom boot disk. I have a computer with
    > the intel 945g chipset, it seems that if I modify sdata.c it will
    > recognize the sata bus. The problem I have is that when it builds the
    > root image for the floppy it can't find several programs, i.e touch lc
    > and many others. I have looked at the posts in this group, but it
    > seems that they are out of date or don't address this issue. What do i
    > have to build in order for the floppy to be built correctly.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Bob

    if you alter your bios settings to set the sata mode to enhanced/ahci,
    plan 9 should boot directly from livecd on your machine.

    something's amiss if touch and lc are missing. they are part of the
    distribution.

    nonetheless, i'm not sure that it's possible to build a floppy anymore
    9pcf.gz is awful big.

    - erik

  3. Re: Building a Floppy Disk

    On Dec 14, 8:47 am, quans...@quanstro.net (erik quanstrom) wrote:
    > On Fri Dec 14 04:54:54 EST 2007, rpangra...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > I have been trying to build a custom boot disk. I have a computer with
    > > the intel 945g chipset, it seems that if I modify sdata.c it will
    > > recognize the sata bus. The problem I have is that when it builds the
    > > root image for the floppy it can't find several programs, i.e touch lc
    > > and many others. I have looked at the posts in this group, but it
    > > seems that they are out of date or don't address this issue. What do i
    > > have to build in order for the floppy to be built correctly.

    > > Thanks
    > > Bob

    > if you alter your bios settings to set the sata mode to enhanced/ahci,
    > plan 9 should boot directly from livecd on your machine.
    >
    > something's amiss if touch and lc are missing. they are part of the
    > distribution.
    >
    > nonetheless, i'm not sure that it's possible to build a floppy anymore
    > 9pcf.gz is awful big.
    >
    > - erik

    It will boot from the livecd , it just won't recognize my sata drive.
    When i put it in ata mode, or legacy mode or what ever, i have noticed
    some os's recognize it as a sata, some as an ata. Plan 9 unfortunatly
    is in the sata relm.

    I can build 9pcf.gz and put it on a floppy and the new kernel with my
    changes will boot, and see the sata bus. But the floppy root system is
    missing those components, therefore it won't get to a working system.

    Is there a way I can boot the floppy kernel but use the CD's root fs?

    Bob

  4. Re: [9fans] Re: Building a Floppy Disk

    > > if you alter your bios settings to set the sata mode to enhanced/ahci,
    > > plan 9 should boot directly from livecd on your machine.

    [etc]

    > It will boot from the livecd , it just won't recognize my sata drive.
    > When i put it in ata mode, or legacy mode or what ever, i have noticed
    > some os's recognize it as a sata, some as an ata. Plan 9 unfortunatly
    > is in the sata relm.

    like i said, you need to turn on "enhanced" mode in the bios. for
    some chipsets/bios you need to enable ahci. on phoenixbios this
    option only appears once enhanced mode is enabled.

    if this is not working, either i misunderstood which file you modified.
    sdata.c or sdiahci.c. it's possible that there are missing dids in sdiahci.c
    or i am a bit confused as to the southbridge that comes with the 945.
    what is the output of "pci|grep disk"?

    > I can build 9pcf.gz and put it on a floppy and the new kernel with my
    > changes will boot, and see the sata bus. But the floppy root system is
    > missing those components, therefore it won't get to a working system.
    >
    > Is there a way I can boot the floppy kernel but use the CD's root fs?

    i've done this. it's how i got my first system working. it would boot from
    cd, but then couldn't find the cd. (or something, it's bee n a long time.)

    if sdaoe is built into the distribution, you could run vblade on another
    machine and install onto that. once you fix the sata issues, you could
    copy to local media.

    - erik

  5. Re: [9fans] Re: Building a Floppy Disk

    > I can build 9pcf.gz and put it on a floppy and the new kernel with my
    > changes will boot, and see the sata bus. But the floppy root system is
    > missing those components, therefore it won't get to a working system.
    >
    > Is there a way I can boot the floppy kernel but use the CD's root fs?

    The kernel that knows how to read the CD is called 9pccd.gz.
    Copy it to a boot floppy, boot the floppy, and at the 9load
    boot from: prompt, type fd0!9pccd.gz.

    Russ

  6. Re: Building a Floppy Disk

    On Dec 14, 10:54 am, quans...@quanstro.net (erik quanstrom) wrote:
    > > > if you alter your bios settings to set the sata mode to enhanced/ahci,
    > > > plan 9 should boot directly from livecd on your machine.

    > [etc]
    >
    > > It will boot from the livecd , it just won't recognize my sata drive.
    > > When i put it in ata mode, or legacy mode or what ever, i have noticed
    > > some os's recognize it as a sata, some as an ata. Plan 9 unfortunatly
    > > is in the sata relm.

    > like i said, you need to turn on "enhanced" mode in the bios. for
    > some chipsets/bios you need to enable ahci. on phoenixbios this
    > option only appears once enhanced mode is enabled.
    >
    > if this is not working, either i misunderstood which file you modified.
    > sdata.c or sdiahci.c. it's possible that there are missing dids in sdiahci.c
    > or i am a bit confused as to the southbridge that comes with the 945.
    > what is the output of "pci|grep disk"?
    >
    > > I can build 9pcf.gz and put it on a floppy and the new kernel with my
    > > changes will boot, and see the sata bus. But the floppy root system is
    > > missing those components, therefore it won't get to a working system.

    > > Is there a way I can boot the floppy kernel but use the CD's root fs?

    > i've done this. it's how i got my first system working. it would boot from
    > cd, but then couldn't find the cd. (or something, it's bee n a long time.)
    >
    > if sdaoe is built into the distribution, you could run vblade on another
    > machine and install onto that. once you fix the sata issues, you could
    > copy to local media.
    >
    > - erik

    I modified sdata.c. Added the device id, which was 27c1. I can provide
    the whole pci output from Solaris. Its rather long. Then the kernel
    seemed to recognize it once i added the id. I'll look at the other
    file.

    The only other computer I have is a work PC that I installed VMWare
    server onto and got plan 9 working there. So it looks like VBlade is
    my best option. I found a live CD and i'll have to find a windows
    client. I am hoping I can export the whole disk, not just partitions.
    Then maybe use a physical disk in Vmware and have Plan 9 partition,
    but that may be a pipe dream.

    To be complete if anyone else finds this post. I am using a dell xps
    200. It has the intel 945g chipset. It seems that the dell bios has
    two modes for the sata operation. AHCI and ATA. No other options are
    given. Neither work with the standard kernel at this time.

    Once I get it working I'll post exactly everything I did, in case
    someone has a similar problem. I'll also see about adding the dev id's
    to the code base.

    Thanks for the suggestion

    Bob

  7. Re: [9fans] Re: Building a Floppy Disk

    > I modified sdata.c. Added the device id, which was 27c1. I can provide
    > the whole pci output from Solaris. Its rather long. Then the kernel
    > seemed to recognize it once i added the id. I'll look at the other
    > file.

    is this a sata or pata disk?

    if this is a sata disk, i believe this chipset is already supported in ahci mode.
    we have machines around here with the same south bridge.

    to enable ahci mode in bios, generally one needs to change the sata mode
    to enhanced and, for this particular chipset, i believe it's necessary to enable
    ahci mode. for the esb chipsets enabling ahci mode is not necessary.
    when you enable ahci, you should have a second device show up that starts
    0x27cx.

    - erik

  8. Intel Sata

    On Dec 17, 7:56 am, quans...@quanstro.net (erik quanstrom) wrote:
    > > I modified sdata.c. Added the device id, which was 27c1. I can provide
    > > the whole pci output from Solaris. Its rather long. Then the kernel
    > > seemed to recognize it once i added the id. I'll look at the other
    > > file.

    > is this a sata or pata disk?
    >
    > if this is a sata disk, i believe this chipset is already supported in ahci mode.
    > we have machines around here with the same south bridge.
    >
    > to enable ahci mode in bios, generally one needs to change the sata mode
    > to enhanced and, for this particular chipset, i believe it's necessary to enable
    > ahci mode. for the esb chipsets enabling ahci mode is not necessary.
    > when you enable ahci, you should have a second device show up that starts
    > 0x27cx.
    >
    > - erik

    Well 9load seemed to recognize it from the get go. The kernel however
    did not. I added the device ID, which after many hours turned out to
    be 27C0 not 27C1, and it recognized the hard drive, i think. The
    kernel prints a message detailing the sata port. 9load says its #S/
    sdE0, but when I try to tell the kernel the root fs is local!#/sdE0!
    fossil the kernel panics because it can't connect to the given server.

    Any ideas?

    Bob

  9. Re: [9fans] Intel Sata

    > Well 9load seemed to recognize it from the get go. The kernel however
    > did not. I added the device ID, which after many hours turned out to
    > be 27C0 not 27C1, and it recognized the hard drive, i think. The
    > kernel prints a message detailing the sata port. 9load says its #S/
    > sdE0, but when I try to tell the kernel the root fs is local!#/sdE0!
    > fossil the kernel panics because it can't connect to the given server.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    great.

    souldn't that be "local!sdE0!fossil"?

    - erik

  10. Re: Intel Sata

    On Dec 17, 8:35 am, quans...@quanstro.net (erik quanstrom) wrote:
    > > Well 9load seemed to recognize it from the get go. The kernel however
    > > did not. I added the device ID, which after many hours turned out to
    > > be 27C0 not 27C1, and it recognized the hard drive, i think. The
    > > kernel prints a message detailing the sata port. 9load says its #S/
    > > sdE0, but when I try to tell the kernel the root fs is local!#/sdE0!
    > > fossil the kernel panics because it can't connect to the given server.

    > > Any ideas?

    > great.
    >
    > souldn't that be "local!sdE0!fossil"?
    >
    > - erik

    Well I tried local!sdE0!fossil and local!sdE0!fs to no avail. I also
    tried sdE1 sdE2 and sdE3, since it says I have four sata ports I am
    assuming sdE3 would be the highest drive. I'll keep trying other
    things and let you know

    I really appreciate all the help. I hope I can repay the list with
    some good information.

    Bob

  11. Re: [9fans] Re: Intel Sata

    wearing dunce cap ... unfortunately the 9load format and kernel format
    are different and i confused them. so modulo a missing 'S' (typo?), your initial
    guess was correct:
    local!#S/sdE0/fossil
    you can use the silkscreen on the motherboard to eliminate the guessing about
    which port your hard drive is plugged into.

    there are many other problems you could have. can you boot from the live
    cd and poke around to see what's available on your hard drive? once you
    get booted, you can open a new window, bind devsd (don't know if
    the livecd does this)
    bind -a '#S' /dev
    recognize the partitions
    cd /dev/sdE[whatever]
    disk/fdisk -p data>ctl
    test -f plan9 && disk/prep -p plan9>ctl
    you should then be able to use fossil/conf and other programs to inspect
    your installation. 9fat: will mount 9fat on /n/9fat.

    these manual pages
    boot(8)
    dossrv(4)
    fossil(4)
    prep(8)
    plan9.ini(8)
    might be useful (http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/man/)

    - erik

    > > > kernel prints a message detailing the sata port. 9load says its #S/
    > > > sdE0, but when I try to tell the kernel the root fs is local!#/sdE0!
    > > > fossil the kernel panics because it can't connect to the given server.

    > > > Any ideas?

    > > great.
    > >
    > > souldn't that be "local!sdE0!fossil"?
    > >
    > > - erik

    > Well I tried local!sdE0!fossil and local!sdE0!fs to no avail. I also
    > tried sdE1 sdE2 and sdE3, since it says I have four sata ports I am
    > assuming sdE3 would be the highest drive. I'll keep trying other
    > things and let you know
    >
    > I really appreciate all the help. I hope I can repay the list with
    > some good information.

  12. Re: Intel Sata

    Well I checked the motherboard, sdE0 is what my drive should be. So
    there must be something wrong with the install if it won't recognize
    the filesystem. It recognizes it in VMWare, so I am confused. I guess
    I will keep on plugging away.

    Thanks
    Bob

    On Dec 18, 9:29 am, quans...@quanstro.net (erik quanstrom) wrote:
    > wearing dunce cap ... unfortunately the 9load format and kernel format
    > are different and i confused them. so modulo a missing 'S' (typo?), your initial
    > guess was correct:
    > local!#S/sdE0/fossil
    > you can use the silkscreen on the motherboard to eliminate the guessing about
    > which port your hard drive is plugged into.
    >
    > there are many other problems you could have. can you boot from the live
    > cd and poke around to see what's available on your hard drive? once you
    > get booted, you can open a new window, bind devsd (don't know if
    > the livecd does this)
    > bind -a '#S' /dev
    > recognize the partitions
    > cd /dev/sdE[whatever]
    > disk/fdisk -p data>ctl
    > test -f plan9 && disk/prep -p plan9>ctl
    > you should then be able to use fossil/conf and other programs to inspect
    > your installation. 9fat: will mount 9fat on /n/9fat.
    >
    > these manual pages
    > boot(8)
    > dossrv(4)
    > fossil(4)
    > prep(8)
    > plan9.ini(8)
    > might be useful (http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/man/)
    >
    > - erik

    > > > great.

    > > > souldn't that be "local!sdE0!fossil"?

    > > > - erik

    > > Well I tried local!sdE0!fossil and local!sdE0!fs to no avail. I also
    > > tried sdE1 sdE2 and sdE3, since it says I have four sata ports I am
    > > assuming sdE3 would be the highest drive. I'll keep trying other
    > > things and let you know

    > > I really appreciate all the help. I hope I can repay the list with
    > > some good information.

  13. Re: Intel Sata

    So now the update. The dev id 27c0 corresponds to my sata in ata mode.
    27c1 is the sata in ahci mode. If I add 27c1 to sdiahci.c and 27c0 to
    sdata.c I get nothing from the kernel at boot up saying it found
    anything. If I add 27c1 to both I get the response from the kernel. I
    wonder if the driver can't handle the drive. Maybe the sata controller
    I have is different enough from the controller used to write the
    driver that it won't work. I find that hard to believe, but stranger
    things are true.

    On Dec 19, 4:56 am, Bob wrote:
    > Well I checked the motherboard, sdE0 is what my drive should be. So
    > there must be something wrong with the install if it won't recognize
    > the filesystem. It recognizes it in VMWare, so I am confused. I guess
    > I will keep on plugging away.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Bob
    >
    > On Dec 18, 9:29 am, quans...@quanstro.net (erik quanstrom) wrote:
    >
    > > wearing dunce cap ... unfortunately the 9load format and kernel format
    > > are different and i confused them. so modulo a missing 'S' (typo?), your initial
    > > guess was correct:
    > > local!#S/sdE0/fossil
    > > you can use the silkscreen on the motherboard to eliminate the guessing about
    > > which port your hard drive is plugged into.

    > > there are many other problems you could have. can you boot from the live
    > > cd and poke around to see what's available on your hard drive? once you
    > > get booted, you can open a new window, bind devsd (don't know if
    > > the livecd does this)
    > > bind -a '#S' /dev
    > > recognize the partitions
    > > cd /dev/sdE[whatever]
    > > disk/fdisk -p data>ctl
    > > test -f plan9 && disk/prep -p plan9>ctl
    > > you should then be able to use fossil/conf and other programs to inspect
    > > your installation. 9fat: will mount 9fat on /n/9fat.

    > > these manual pages
    > > boot(8)
    > > dossrv(4)
    > > fossil(4)
    > > prep(8)
    > > plan9.ini(8)
    > > might be useful (http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/man/)

    > > - erik

    > > > Well I tried local!sdE0!fossil and local!sdE0!fs to no avail. I also
    > > > tried sdE1 sdE2 and sdE3, since it says I have four sata ports I am
    > > > assuming sdE3 would be the highest drive. I'll keep trying other
    > > > things and let you know

    > > > I really appreciate all the help. I hope I can repay the list with
    > > > some good information.

  14. Re: [9fans] Re: Intel Sata

    On Thu Dec 20 04:47:55 EST 2007, rpangrazio@gmail.com wrote:
    > So now the update. The dev id 27c0 corresponds to my sata in ata mode.
    > 27c1 is the sata in ahci mode. If I add 27c1 to sdiahci.c and 27c0 to
    > sdata.c I get nothing from the kernel at boot up saying it found
    > anything. If I add 27c1 to both I get the response from the kernel. I
    > wonder if the driver can't handle the drive. Maybe the sata controller
    > I have is different enough from the controller used to write the
    > driver that it won't work. I find that hard to believe, but stranger
    > things are true.

    either you can recognize the drive as ahci, or as a normal ata drive,
    but not both at the same time. that's prohibited.

    - erik

  15. Re: Intel Sata

    On Dec 20, 8:12 am, quans...@quanstro.net (erik quanstrom) wrote:
    > On Thu Dec 20 04:47:55 EST 2007, rpangra...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > So now the update. The dev id 27c0 corresponds to my sata in ata mode.
    > > 27c1 is the sata in ahci mode. If I add 27c1 to sdiahci.c and 27c0 to
    > > sdata.c I get nothing from the kernel at boot up saying it found
    > > anything. If I add 27c1 to both I get the response from the kernel. I
    > > wonder if the driver can't handle the drive. Maybe the sata controller
    > > I have is different enough from the controller used to write the
    > > driver that it won't work. I find that hard to believe, but stranger
    > > things are true.

    > either you can recognize the drive as ahci, or as a normal ata drive,
    > but not both at the same time. that's prohibited.
    >
    > - erik

    So adding the same dev id to both drivers is wrong. But then why does
    it not work when I add the corresponding dev id's to the appropiate
    driver. It should then be able to recognize it in both instances.

    Bob

  16. Re: [9fans] Re: Intel Sata

    > > > So now the update. The dev id 27c0 corresponds to my sata in ata mode.
    > > > 27c1 is the sata in ahci mode. If I add 27c1 to sdiahci.c and 27c0 to
    > > > sdata.c I get nothing from the kernel at boot up saying it found
    > > > anything. If I add 27c1 to both I get the response from the kernel. I
    > > > wonder if the driver can't handle the drive. Maybe the sata controller
    > > > I have is different enough from the controller used to write the
    > > > driver that it won't work. I find that hard to believe, but stranger
    > > > things are true.

    > > either you can recognize the drive as ahci, or as a normal ata drive,
    > > but not both at the same time. that's prohibited.
    > >
    > > - erik

    > So adding the same dev id to both drivers is wrong. But then why does
    > it not work when I add the corresponding dev id's to the appropiate
    > driver. It should then be able to recognize it in both instances.

    intel like to have multiple dids for the same hardware. the various
    dids represent the programming interface. the problem is that you
    can't use both programming interfaces at the same time because,
    evidently, the different programming interfaces have internal state.
    even if you could, i don't think you'd want /dev/sdC0 and /dev/sdE0
    representing the same hardware.

    for example, on one machine i use in testing i have

    neponset; pci|grep disk|grep 8086/
    0.31.1: disk 01.01.8a 8086/269e 255 0:00000001 16 1:00000001 16 2:00000001 16 3:00000001 16 4:00001881 16
    0.31.2: disk 01.06.01 8086/2681 10 0:000018b1 16 1:000018a5 16 2:000018a9 16 3:000018a1 16 4:00001891 32 5:d9000400 1024

    i use the 2681 did. i know that's the ahci did because bar#5 shows up.
    (well that, and the intel documentation says so.) 269e is not used.
    as you can see the pata drives are available through the traditional interface:

    neponset# cat /dev/sdctl
    sdC ata port 1F0 ctl 3F4 irq 14
    sdE ahci port 0xe008b400: 64a alp led ncq pm pslum slum iss 2 ncs 31 np 6; ghc 80000002 isr 0 pi 3f 0-5 ver 10100
    neponset# lc '#S'
    sdC0 sdE0 sdE1 sdE2 sdE3 sdE4 sdE5 sdctl

    by the way, i've never been able combine sata and pata under the
    traditional interface with intel southbridges of any description,
    with the exception of the case of a pata cdrom and a sata hard drive,
    combined mode notwithstanding.

    - erik

+ Reply to Thread