Re: [9fans] Bootsetup will not create floppy - Plan9

This is a discussion on Re: [9fans] Bootsetup will not create floppy - Plan9 ; > It is hardcoded, so your current options are: > 1) download and use a boot floppy from Bell Labs[1] site, or > 2) move your CD to another IDE cable (i.e. primary master on another > cable) and go ...

  1. Re: [9fans] Bootsetup will not create floppy

    > It is hardcoded, so your current options are:
    > 1) download and use a boot floppy from Bell Labs[1] site, or
    > 2) move your CD to another IDE cable (i.e. primary master on another
    > cable) and go through the installation process again.

    Seems like there would be an option number:

    3) Make a boot floppy, as discussed in update(8) and esp. the
    EXAMPLES subhead in prep(8).

    --
    Josh

  2. Re: [9fans] Bootsetup will not create floppy

    On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 05:11:55AM -0800, Joshua Wood wrote:
    > >It is hardcoded, so your current options are:
    > >1) download and use a boot floppy from Bell Labs[1] site, or
    > >2) move your CD to another IDE cable (i.e. primary master on another
    > >cable) and go through the installation process again.
    > >

    > Seems like there would be an option number:
    >
    > 3) Make a boot floppy, as discussed in update(8) and esp. the
    > EXAMPLES subhead in prep(8).
    >

    > >[1] http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/download/plan9.flp.gz

    > --
    > Josh

    Hi, CD drive is now sdD0, installed again but got the same error message on attempting to create boot floppy.

    Downloaded plan9.flp.gz, on attempting to decompress got the following error:
    gunzip: data stream error
    gunzip: plan9.flp.gz: uncompress failed

    this was uncompressing in NetBSD

    tried several more freshly downloaded files, all with same result. Tried Same on windows got "crc error"
    Is the file on the server corrupt, or am I doing something wrong (again!).
    " 3) Make a boot floppy, as discussed in update(8) and esp. the
    EXAMPLES subhead in prep(8)."

    disk/format -b /386/pbs -df /dev/fd0disk \
    /386/9load /tmp/plan9.ini /386/9pcf.gz

    Returned the message:

    add 9load at clust 2
    formatpen /tmp/plan9.ini: '/tmp/plan9.ini' file does not exist

    Not bad, half way there!! I guess the live CD doesn't place a copy of plan9.ini there ? Where do I find it to copy it to tmp?

    One last thing, perhaps I should have mentioned. Plan 9 (on the hard disk) is installed in the last 6 GB of a 40 GB disk, behind Windows XP on NTFS, Windows is the active partition.

    Thanks in advance for any assistance.

    Regards,

    Alasdair

  3. Re: [9fans] Bootsetup will not create floppy

    >> Seems like there would be an option number:
    >>
    >> 3) Make a boot floppy, as discussed in update(8) and esp. the
    >> EXAMPLES subhead in prep(8).

    My advice above is not directly useful to you. As Eric pointed out,
    9load + 9pcf.gz won't fit together on a 1.44MB floppy. I just didn't
    see his message before sending mine, and hadn't thought about putting
    a fossil kernel on a floppy. My apologies for the misdirection.

    As Erik also notes, fossil systems generally boot not from floppy,
    but from the 9fat partition on a hard disk.

    > Hi, CD drive is now sdD0, installed again but got the same error
    > message on attempting to create boot floppy.
    >
    > Downloaded plan9.flp.gz, on attempting to decompress got the
    > following error:
    > gunzip: data stream error
    > gunzip: plan9.flp.gz: uncompress failed
    >
    > Is the file on the server corrupt, or am I doing something wrong
    > (again!).

    Plan9.flp.gz is an installer image -- basically what you already have
    on the bootable CD. I don't think it's appropriate for what you're
    trying to do, and I didn't recommend it. That said, while gnu gzip
    may not open it, plan9 gzip(1) will (from your live cd); windows 7zip
    will too, by my test. So I don't believe it's corrupt on the server.

    > One last thing, perhaps I should have mentioned. Plan 9 (on the
    > hard disk) is installed in the last 6 GB of a 40 GB disk, behind
    > Windows XP on NTFS, Windows is the active partition.

    That's rather pertinent. There are messages in the list archives
    about dual-booting; I think /n/sources/contrib/rsc/mbr.bootmgr,
    ``Smart Boot Manager,'' might help. I can't say I've tried it myself,
    beyond just now checking that it brings up a partition selection
    screen on boot, once installed as the mbr on a disk.

    --
    Josh

  4. Re: Bootsetup will not create floppy

    On Dec 11 2007, 4:23 pm, j...@utopian.net (Joshua Wood) wrote:

    > > Downloaded plan9.flp.gz, on attempting to decompress got the
    > > following error:
    > > gunzip: data stream error
    > > gunzip: plan9.flp.gz: uncompress failed

    > Plan9.flp.gz is an installer image -- basically what you already have
    > on the bootable CD. I don't think it's appropriate for what you're
    > trying to do, and I didn't recommend it. That said, while gnu gzip
    > may not open it, plan9 gzip(1) will (from your live cd); windows 7zip
    > will too, by my test. So I don't believe it's corrupt on the server.

    In Debian GNU/Linux I found the package p7zip-full with '7za' that
    also
    can decompress the floppy image.

+ Reply to Thread