[9fans] Trouble with email - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Trouble with email - Plan9 ; Hello. I decided to set up my IMAP server (mail.mac.com) to see if I could merely get email. So I did term% upas/fs -f/imap/mail.mac.com ... factotum junk ... username[pietro]: pietro10 password: ! term% I then sent a sample email to ...

  1. [9fans] Trouble with email

    Hello. I decided to set up my IMAP server (mail.mac.com) to see if I
    could merely get email. So I did

    term% upas/fs -f/imap/mail.mac.com
    ... factotum junk ...
    username[pietro]: pietro10
    password:
    !
    term%

    I then sent a sample email to myself and opened faces. Nothing. So I
    tried again:

    term% upas/fs -f/imap/mail.mac.com -m /n/mymail
    term% faces -m /n/mymail

    Still nothing. mail also doesn't report "you have mail". But if I
    traverse the /n/mymail directory myself, it works all right.

    I haven't set up SMTP yet.

    What's going on?

  2. Re: [9fans] Trouble with email

    i think faces expects upas/fs to be available on /n/mymail/mbox.
    /n/mymail presents a directory of mailboxes.

    typically one would start upas/fs on /mail/box/$user/mbox
    and then add imap mboxes by
    ; echo open /imap/mail.mac.com mymail>>/mail/fs/ctl &
    ; faces -m/mail/box/mymbox

    unfortunately, ned doesn't like to read mailboxes created this
    way. i'll put my version of ned up on sources. i don't know
    about acmemail.

    - erik

  3. Re: [9fans] Trouble with email

    I started upas/fs with -b and your email showed up on stdout. I'm
    still confused about faces :-( I'll wait for your ned.

    PS - How do you get ned to download every email from a server? So
    far, only 146 were received.

    On Nov 13, 2007, at 9:46 PM, erik quanstrom wrote:

    > i think faces expects upas/fs to be available on /n/mymail/mbox.
    > /n/mymail presents a directory of mailboxes.
    >
    > typically one would start upas/fs on /mail/box/$user/mbox
    > and then add imap mboxes by
    > ; echo open /imap/mail.mac.com mymail>>/mail/fs/ctl &
    > ; faces -m/mail/box/mymbox
    >
    > unfortunately, ned doesn't like to read mailboxes created this
    > way. i'll put my version of ned up on sources. i don't know
    > about acmemail.
    >
    > - erik

  4. Re: [9fans] Trouble with email

    you need to one more level to faces. what you're missing is the
    fact that upas/fs serves a *two* level directory the top level
    contains the file "ctl" and one directory for each mbox.
    faces wants an mbox directory -- the second level.

    ned is on /n/sources/contrib/quanstro/src/ned.

    - erik

  5. Re: [9fans] Trouble with email

    I hav run faces and upas/fs against imap before though not for some years,
    I'm pretty sure it just worked. faces needs to run in the namespace
    of upas/fs so it can access the mailbox (I start upasfs before rio in my profile.

    these days I collect email from the work imap (MS exchange) server and feed it into
    the plan9 email system so it gets appended to my mbox in a traditional manner.

    I run this script from my profile

    #!/bin/rc

    rfork en

    upas/fs -f /imaps/wmail.mywork.com/stevesimon
    cd /mail/fs/mbox

    while(){
    for (f in `{ls | grep '^[0-9]+' | sort -n}){
    upas/send -r inject!$user < $f/raw
    rm $f
    }
    sleep 60
    }

    and I added this line to my /mail/lib/rewrite

    # deliver injected mail locally
    inject!(.*) >> /mail/box/\1/mbox

    as I said, faces and imap should just work and you get to keep your
    email on your imap server. I did the above because I wanted to store
    my email locally and have it backed up by venti :-)

    Also I start faces with -s to show all email rather than just new stuff.

    -Steve

  6. Re: [9fans] Trouble with email

    I have a bin/rc/riostart which is invoked when I (surprise!) start
    rio. It contains the following lines (with the names changed) (upas/fs
    is already run, without arguments, from my profile):
    echo -n 'open /imap/server1/anthony server1' > /mail/fs/ctl
    echo -n 'open /imap/server2/anthony server2' > /mail/fs/ctl
    mboxes=`{for (i in /mail/fs/*) {if (test -d $i) {echo -n '-m '$i}}}
    window 0,0,$b,115 faces -i $mboxes
    The -m argument tells faces to pay attention to mail coming in to the
    mailbox named by its argument, found in the upas/fs dir (by default
    /mail/fs). It gets repeated for each open mailbox.

    I run 'Mail server1' and 'Mail server2' manually in Acme when I want
    to read the mail. That and the plumbing from faces work well.

  7. Re: [9fans] Trouble with email

    You will need to set up smtp in /lib/ndb/local and refresh the databases
    in order to send mail. We use acme mail every day at work at it is a
    pleasure compared to other mailers.

    --- Marina Brown (tsygrl)

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2007, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:

    > Hello. I decided to set up my IMAP server (mail.mac.com) to see if I could
    > merely get email. So I did
    >
    > term% upas/fs -f/imap/mail.mac.com
    > ... factotum junk ...
    > username[pietro]: pietro10
    > password:
    > !
    > term%
    >
    > I then sent a sample email to myself and opened faces. Nothing. So I tried
    > again:
    >
    > term% upas/fs -f/imap/mail.mac.com -m /n/mymail
    > term% faces -m /n/mymail
    >
    > Still nothing. mail also doesn't report "you have mail". But if I traverse
    > the /n/mymail directory myself, it works all right.
    >
    > I haven't set up SMTP yet.
    >
    > What's going on?

  8. Re: [9fans] Trouble with email

    Your solution worked for me! Thanks! Now faces loads every email
    message (annoying) and right-clicking doesn't do anything (even with
    plumber running) and "Mail mail.mac.com" doesn't work from within
    Acme (gives me a +Errors box saying "can't create /mail/box/pietro/
    mail.mac.com)

    On Nov 14, 2007, at 11:23 AM, Anthony Sorace wrote:

    > I have a bin/rc/riostart which is invoked when I (surprise!) start
    > rio. It contains the following lines (with the names changed) (upas/fs
    > is already run, without arguments, from my profile):
    > echo -n 'open /imap/server1/anthony server1' > /mail/fs/ctl
    > echo -n 'open /imap/server2/anthony server2' > /mail/fs/ctl
    > mboxes=`{for (i in /mail/fs/*) {if (test -d $i) {echo -n '-m '$i}}}
    > window 0,0,$b,115 faces -i $mboxes
    > The -m argument tells faces to pay attention to mail coming in to the
    > mailbox named by its argument, found in the upas/fs dir (by default
    > /mail/fs). It gets repeated for each open mailbox.
    >
    > I run 'Mail server1' and 'Mail server2' manually in Acme when I want
    > to read the mail. That and the plumbing from faces work well.

  9. Re: [9fans] Trouble with email

    On 11/14/07, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    > Your solution worked for me! Thanks!

    // Now faces loads every email message...

    That's just faces' -i flag. Leave it off if you don't want that.

    // right-clicking doesn't do anything (even with plumber running)
    // and "Mail mail.mac.com" doesn't work from within Acme

    I suspect these are namespace issues. Keep in mind the per-process
    namespace makes your order of operations very important. My first
    guess is that acme was started in a namespace that doesn't have
    upas/fs in it.

  10. Re: [9fans] Trouble with email

    And then when I sent myself another test email, faces without -i
    doesn't update. Neither does faces with -i. :-(

    On Nov 14, 2007, at 3:15 PM, Anthony Sorace wrote:

    > On 11/14/07, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    >> Your solution worked for me! Thanks!

    > // Now faces loads every email message...
    >
    > That's just faces' -i flag. Leave it off if you don't want that.
    >
    > // right-clicking doesn't do anything (even with plumber running)
    > // and "Mail mail.mac.com" doesn't work from within Acme
    >
    > I suspect these are namespace issues. Keep in mind the per-process
    > namespace makes your order of operations very important. My first
    > guess is that acme was started in a namespace that doesn't have
    > upas/fs in it.

+ Reply to Thread