[9fans] Styx/9p implementations in JavaME - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] Styx/9p implementations in JavaME - Plan9 ; I'm beginning a project that involves writing some Styx servers in Java, particularly in a JavaME (formerly known as J2ME) environment. Uriel's nice page on 9p implementations lists two Java implementations, but neither's been updated in a good while, one ...

  1. [9fans] Styx/9p implementations in JavaME

    I'm beginning a project that involves writing some Styx servers in
    Java, particularly in a JavaME (formerly known as J2ME) environment.
    Uriel's nice page on 9p implementations lists two Java
    implementations, but neither's been updated in a good while, one is
    client-only, and neither lists which flavor of Java it's designed for
    (write once run somewhere?). Does anyone have any information on a
    Styx server in a current-ish Java?
    Anthony

  2. Re: [9fans] Styx/9p implementations in JavaME

    I thought J2ME was limited to http connectivity... At least my
    initial experiments with it on my motorola razr had me limited to http
    connectivity via limits in the classes available I thought.

    I didn't spend a lot of time with it though.

    On Nov 13, 2007 4:00 PM, Anthony Sorace wrote:
    > I'm beginning a project that involves writing some Styx servers in
    > Java, particularly in a JavaME (formerly known as J2ME) environment.
    > Uriel's nice page on 9p implementations lists two Java
    > implementations, but neither's been updated in a good while, one is
    > client-only, and neither lists which flavor of Java it's designed for
    > (write once run somewhere?). Does anyone have any information on a
    > Styx server in a current-ish Java?
    > Anthony

  3. Re: [9fans] Styx/9p implementations in JavaME

    On 11/13/07, David Leimbach wrote:
    // I thought J2ME was limited to http connectivity...

    I don't *think* that's right. I'm very, very far from a Java expert,
    but my impression from more knowledgeable people is that JavaME allows
    direct socket communication, but the implementations on many devices
    do not. Certainly that was our experience when we were working on
    applications which tried to listen on the network: JavaME provided the
    capabilities, but almost all of the handsets we looked at did not.

    I'll keep you posted.
    Anthony

  4. Re: [9fans] Styx/9p implementations in JavaME

    On Nov 14, 2007 8:13 AM, Anthony Sorace wrote:
    > On 11/13/07, David Leimbach wrote:
    > // I thought J2ME was limited to http connectivity...
    >
    > I don't *think* that's right. I'm very, very far from a Java expert,
    > but my impression from more knowledgeable people is that JavaME allows
    > direct socket communication, but the implementations on many devices
    > do not. Certainly that was our experience when we were working on
    > applications which tried to listen on the network: JavaME provided the
    > capabilities, but almost all of the handsets we looked at did not.
    >
    > I'll keep you posted.
    > Anthony

    It might just depend on what profiles are implemented.

  5. Re: [9fans] Styx/9p implementations in JavaME

    I have ssh, telnet irc, everything in my sony w300i (MIDP 2.0)

    here a tutorial implementing telnet:
    http://developers.sun.com/mobility/m...termemulator1/

    --
    Federico G. Benavento

  6. Re: [9fans] Styx/9p implementations in JavaME

    ah, good. it's by the guy who'd put me under the impression that it
    was possible. ;-)

  7. Re: [9fans] Styx/9p implementations in JavaME

    On Nov 14, 2007 8:18 AM, David Leimbach wrote:

    > On Nov 14, 2007 8:13 AM, Anthony Sorace wrote:
    > > On 11/13/07, David Leimbach wrote:
    > > // I thought J2ME was limited to http connectivity...
    > >
    > > I don't *think* that's right. I'm very, very far from a Java expert,
    > > but my impression from more knowledgeable people is that JavaME allows
    > > direct socket communication, but the implementations on many devices
    > > do not. Certainly that was our experience when we were working on
    > > applications which tried to listen on the network: JavaME provided the
    > > capabilities, but almost all of the handsets we looked at did not.
    > >
    > > I'll keep you posted.
    > > Anthony
    > >

    > It might just depend on what profiles are implemented.

    Ah here we go from Beginning J2ME (Li and Knudsen) p159

    "Although the MIDP 2.0 specification requiers only HTTP and HTTPS
    connections, it suggests that implementations support socket, server
    socket, and secure socket connections."

  8. Re: [9fans] Styx/9p implementations in JavaME

    On Nov 14, 2007 8:24 AM, Federico Benavento wrote:
    > I have ssh, telnet irc, everything in my sony w300i (MIDP 2.0)
    >
    > here a tutorial implementing telnet:
    > http://developers.sun.com/mobility/m...termemulator1/

    Unfortunately it didn't seem the edition of motorola razr I had from
    Cingular was capable of anything but http connections... so I wrote a
    gateway to some apps on my server at home and used xinetd with a
    header to implement just enough of http to make the phone think I was
    a web server.

    Nowadays, I'd have written my application with Yaws (erlang web
    server) and had it generate dyanimc content, but at the time the app
    was in C++.

    Dave

    > On Nov 14, 2007 1:12 AM, David Leimbach wrote:
    > > I thought J2ME was limited to http connectivity... At least my
    > > initial experiments with it on my motorola razr had me limited to http
    > > connectivity via limits in the classes available I thought.
    > >
    > > I didn't spend a lot of time with it though.
    > >

    > > On Nov 13, 2007 4:00 PM, Anthony Sorace wrote:
    > > > I'm beginning a project that involves writing some Styx servers in
    > > > Java, particularly in a JavaME (formerly known as J2ME) environment.
    > > > Uriel's nice page on 9p implementations lists two Java
    > > > implementations, but neither's been updated in a good while, one is
    > > > client-only, and neither lists which flavor of Java it's designed for
    > > > (write once run somewhere?). Does anyone have any information on a
    > > > Styx server in a current-ish Java?
    > > > Anthony
    > > >

    > --
    > Federico G. Benavento