[9fans] OT: New Obj-C runtime - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] OT: New Obj-C runtime - Plan9 ; Off-topic, as always, I thought some folks might find this interesting, if not humorous: https://mail.gna.org/public/etoile-d.../msg00000.html >From the overview: "The other runtime, currently used by GNUstep, is the GNU runtime. I have done a little work on this and submitted a ...

  1. [9fans] OT: New Obj-C runtime

    Off-topic, as always, I thought some folks might find this
    interesting, if not humorous:

    https://mail.gna.org/public/etoile-d.../msg00000.html

    >From the overview:

    "The other runtime, currently used by GNUstep, is the GNU runtime. I
    have done a little work on this and submitted a patch to allow
    prototype-based object orientation to be supported. There are a few
    problems with this runtime:
    [...]
    - It is written in GNU coding style, which hurts my eyes and brain."

    "The existing GNU runtime is 11,688 lines.3 The new runtime weights in
    at a little over 10% of this size. Note that the size for the new
    library includes test cases and examples, while the GNU version does
    not. In terms of compiled code, the new library is closer to 15% of
    the size of the GNU implementation. The entire library was written by
    one person over two days, which should give some idea of its
    simplicity."

    -Jack

  2. Re: [9fans] OT: New Obj-C runtime

    On Nov 11, 2007 9:22 AM, Jack Johnson wrote:
    > Off-topic, as always, I thought some folks might find this
    > interesting, if not humorous:
    >
    > https://mail.gna.org/public/etoile-d.../msg00000.html
    >
    > >From the overview:

    > "The other runtime, currently used by GNUstep, is the GNU runtime. I
    > have done a little work on this and submitted a patch to allow
    > prototype-based object orientation to be supported. There are a few
    > problems with this runtime:
    > [...]
    > - It is written in GNU coding style, which hurts my eyes and brain."
    >
    > "The existing GNU runtime is 11,688 lines.3 The new runtime weights in
    > at a little over 10% of this size. Note that the size for the new
    > library includes test cases and examples, while the GNU version does
    > not. In terms of compiled code, the new library is closer to 15% of
    > the size of the GNU implementation. The entire library was written by
    > one person over two days, which should give some idea of its
    > simplicity."
    >
    > -Jack

    Yeah, that's not terribly surprising, given what I've seen of GNU projects :-).

    People often think things are harder than they need to be due to the
    work other people have done. It seems the most interesting
    innovations come from people who usually "don't know any better".

    Saw a great mug the other day that said "What would you attempt to do
    if you knew you couldn't fail?"

    ....or something like that. I should have bought it :-)

    Dave

  3. Re: [9fans] OT: New Obj-C runtime

    On Nov 11, 2007, at 12:22 PM, Jack Johnson wrote:

    > The entire library was written by
    > one person over two days, which should give some idea of its
    > simplicity."
    >
    > -Jack

    Wow, I wonder if that guy has a Xeon 8-core for a brain. Writing a
    runtime for a language like Objective-C isn't much of a problem (the
    earliest Objective-C was a preprocessor for C or C++, I'm not sure
    which one) but two days? This guy must have drunk about forty 2-liter
    bottles of coffee.

    @interface Runtime {
    int w;
    }
    - (int)whyDidint)my floatiefloat)inTheWater;
    + (NSString *)theAnswerIsRightInFrontOfYourTerminal;
    @end

    @implementation Runtime

    - (int)whyDidint)my floatiefloat)inTheWater
    {
    return 0;
    }

    + (NSString *)theAnswerIsRightInFrontOfYourTerminal
    {
    return @"It has been so long since I opened Xcode to work with
    Objective-C\n";
    }