[9fans] o9fs - Plan9

This is a discussion on [9fans] o9fs - Plan9 ; Hello 9fans, As this years Google Summer of Code 2007 project mentored by the Plan 9 community I started writing a 9P client in form of a filesystem driver for the OpenBSD operating system. The code is not ready for ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: [9fans] o9fs

  1. [9fans] o9fs

    Hello 9fans,

    As this years Google Summer of Code 2007 project mentored by the Plan
    9 community I started writing a 9P client in form of a filesystem
    driver for the OpenBSD operating system. The code is not ready for
    daily use yet but maybe some of you would like to take a look or even
    test it.
    I set up a little placeholder for the project at
    http://www.tip9ug.jp/who/iru/o9fs with the info one will need to get
    the thing running.

    Best,
    iru

  2. Re: [9fans] o9fs

    OK, here's the process for giving it to the OpenBSD guys:
    1) Replace strcpy()/strcat() with strlcpy()/strlcat() and don't write
    your own allocator, use theirs
    2) Go to Security
    3) Have them check out the code
    4) Give the code to some licensing gurus
    5) Have them examine the license (Lucent Public License)
    6) Go back to Security
    7) Have them run a long series of test cases
    8) You'll probably get a long list of security holes
    9) Fix them and give it back to Security
    10) They'll check it out, and it'll become part of OpenBSD!
    11) Wait 15 years
    12) The team will find a security hole if your driver is run at
    startup, and there will be an increment on their number of holes at
    startup message on their website :-)

    Now to become serious:
    This will be nice. At least Linux is not the only real UNIX anymore :-)

    On Nov 8, 2007, at 3:52 PM, Iruata Souza wrote:

    > Hello 9fans,
    >
    > As this years Google Summer of Code 2007 project mentored by the Plan
    > 9 community I started writing a 9P client in form of a filesystem
    > driver for the OpenBSD operating system. The code is not ready for
    > daily use yet but maybe some of you would like to take a look or even
    > test it.
    > I set up a little placeholder for the project at
    > http://www.tip9ug.jp/who/iru/o9fs with the info one will need to get
    > the thing running.
    >
    > Best,
    > iru



  3. Re: [9fans] o9fs

    ok, now go back to your parallel reality where linux is a real UNIX.

    iru

  4. Re: [9fans] o9fs

    my unix is more real than your father's and mother's unixes combined.

    On Nov 8, 2007 11:27 PM, Iruata Souza wrote:
    > ok, now go back to your parallel reality where linux is a real UNIX.
    >
    > iru
    >


  5. Re: [9fans] o9fs

    why did I think I could find some testers here?
    back to 9p-hackers...

    iru

  6. Re: [9fans] o9fs

    * Iruata Souza [071109 17:24]:
    > why did I think I could find some testers here?
    > back to 9p-hackers...


    Matthias as well as I stumbled upon some issues. You will get a fix this weekend (I hope).

    Christian

    --
    You may use my gpg key for replies:
    pub 1024D/47F79788 2005/02/02 Christian Kellermann (C-Keen)

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (OpenBSD)

    iD8DBQFHNIu4XYob3Uf3l4gRAlh+AJ4x5/tRiLH+Ax6/5fb0ZsF1K7RL4gCdEG8+
    z6wNfsURaxRLPom9COAhoLo=
    =Rgs/
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


  7. Re: [9fans] o9fs

    that´s why :]

  8. Re: [9fans] o9fs

    If you're writing a driver for OpenBSD, don't tell users of Plan 9 to
    test it, go to OpenBSD's people! :-) Good luck working!

    On Nov 9, 2007, at 11:18 AM, Iruata Souza wrote:

    > why did I think I could find some testers here?
    > back to 9p-hackers...
    >
    > iru



  9. Re: [9fans] o9fs

    On Nov 9, 2007 5:46 PM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    > If you're writing a driver for OpenBSD, don't tell users of Plan 9 to
    > test it, go to OpenBSD's people! :-) Good luck working!
    >


    I don't know if you did your homework on reading /sys/doc but, as a
    Plan 9 user, you may record the name 9P from somewhere.


    iru

  10. Re: [9fans] o9fs

    I must be confused. Are you writing a 9P driver for OpenBSD? If so,
    it's going to run on OpenBSD, and most of us may not be able to help
    you. Otherwise, ignore everything I say.

    On Nov 9, 2007, at 2:50 PM, Iruata Souza wrote:

    > On Nov 9, 2007 5:46 PM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    >> If you're writing a driver for OpenBSD, don't tell users of Plan 9 to
    >> test it, go to OpenBSD's people! :-) Good luck working!
    >>

    >
    > I don't know if you did your homework on reading /sys/doc but, as a
    > Plan 9 user, you may record the name 9P from somewhere.
    >
    >
    > iru



  11. Re: [9fans] o9fs

    On Nov 9, 2007 11:56 AM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    > I must be confused. Are you writing a 9P driver for OpenBSD? If so,
    > it's going to run on OpenBSD, and most of us may not be able to help
    > you. Otherwise, ignore everything I say.
    >
    >


    Why would you presume to speak for everyone though? Someone here
    might have the opportunity and interest to test this. And it seems
    like a pretty good start to ask people who might have Plan 9 Servers
    running to do that testing.

    It's this kind of crap that drives people away from Plan 9 by the way.

    Dave

    > On Nov 9, 2007, at 2:50 PM, Iruata Souza wrote:
    >
    > > On Nov 9, 2007 5:46 PM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    > >> If you're writing a driver for OpenBSD, don't tell users of Plan 9 to
    > >> test it, go to OpenBSD's people! :-) Good luck working!
    > >>

    > >
    > > I don't know if you did your homework on reading /sys/doc but, as a
    > > Plan 9 user, you may record the name 9P from somewhere.
    > >
    > >
    > > iru

    >
    >


  12. Re: [9fans] o9fs

    On Nov 9, 2007 5:56 PM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    > I must be confused. Are you writing a 9P driver for OpenBSD? If so,
    > it's going to run on OpenBSD, and most of us may not be able to help
    > you. Otherwise, ignore everything I say.
    >


    yes, it's a filesystem driver for OpenBSD.
    if you can't help, that's not a problem. people who understand 9P
    better read this list and could be interested in taking a look even if
    it's for OpenBSD.
    nobody told me that only linux, os x and windows could be the other
    operating systems discussed here. sorry breaking your rules.

    iru

  13. Re: [9fans] o9fs

    > I must be confused. Are you writing a 9P driver for OpenBSD? If so,
    > it's going to run on OpenBSD, and most of us may not be able to help
    > you. Otherwise, ignore everything I say.


    obviously he's posting because some of us use OpenBSD on a
    regular basis along with Plan 9. in that case, this is extremely useful.
    quit being an ass or go away.


  14. Re: [9fans] o9fs

    OK, so I may be wrong. I'm currently in the process of installing a
    heck of a lot of systems onto QEMU (Fedora 8, Ubuntu 7.10, ReactOS,
    Minix) and I think I'll put OpenBSD on the list and test it out. The
    thing I don't know how to do: set up 9P.

    On Nov 9, 2007, at 3:07 PM, David Leimbach wrote:

    > On Nov 9, 2007 11:56 AM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    >> I must be confused. Are you writing a 9P driver for OpenBSD? If so,
    >> it's going to run on OpenBSD, and most of us may not be able to help
    >> you. Otherwise, ignore everything I say.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Why would you presume to speak for everyone though? Someone here
    > might have the opportunity and interest to test this. And it seems
    > like a pretty good start to ask people who might have Plan 9 Servers
    > running to do that testing.
    >
    > It's this kind of crap that drives people away from Plan 9 by the way.
    >
    > Dave
    >
    >> On Nov 9, 2007, at 2:50 PM, Iruata Souza wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Nov 9, 2007 5:46 PM, Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
    >>>> If you're writing a driver for OpenBSD, don't tell users of Plan
    >>>> 9 to
    >>>> test it, go to OpenBSD's people! :-) Good luck working!
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> I don't know if you did your homework on reading /sys/doc but, as a
    >>> Plan 9 user, you may record the name 9P from somewhere.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> iru

    >>
    >>



+ Reply to Thread