problem when encrypting ~15 files concurrently. - PGP

This is a discussion on problem when encrypting ~15 files concurrently. - PGP ; Hi, We are running PGP 6.5.8 on an Aix 5.3 server. About once per week, 15 files or so (each is 4 - 8 K in size) are encrypted concurrently and one will bomb. Our public keyring is tiny with ...

  1. problem when encrypting ~15 files concurrently.

    Hi,
    We are running PGP 6.5.8 on an Aix 5.3 server. About once per
    week, 15 files or so (each is 4 - 8 K in size) are encrypted
    concurrently and one will bomb. Our public keyring is tiny with only
    11 keys.
    Anyone have any ideas about this? keyring contention or some
    other bug, perhaps?

    thanks in advance,
    Steven McElwee, Duke University

  2. Re: problem when encrypting ~15 files concurrently.

  3. Re: problem when encrypting ~15 files concurrently.

    Yes, your assumption is correct that the encryptions are being run in
    separate processes. I always wondered about the copies of the public
    keyring. This is very useful to know.

    We are interested in GPG and would like to know if the key format is
    different than that in use with PGP 6.5.8.

    thanks again,
    Steven

    "Neil W Rickert" wrote in message
    news:ZQ5Ai.30479$RX.5996@newssvr11.news.prodigy.ne t...

  4. Re: problem when encrypting ~15 files concurrently.

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 02:47:21 GMT, Neil W Rickert
    wrote:

    >PGP 6.5.8 has a strange habit, where for every use it makes a
    >copy of the keyring, and uses that copy. It names these copies
    >"pubring-bak-n.pkr", where the "n" (as in "-n-" is a number between
    >1 and 9. It never keeps more than 9 of these, so it is deleting
    >some of them.

    This is interesting. We have 4 copies of the pubring-bak-[1-4].pkr
    file. Should we not have 9 copies?

    >One guess is that maybe it is deleting one that is still in use by
    >another process.
    >
    >Is there any reason not to use GPG? My guess is that it would be
    >more reliable for what you are doing.

    Are the public/private keys used in pgp 6.5.8 compatible with GPG? I
    would like to avoid having to generate, distribute and acquire new
    keys if possible.

    Sincerely,
    Steven McElwee

  5. Re: problem when encrypting ~15 files concurrently.

+ Reply to Thread