HELP!! need some tutoring... - PGP

This is a discussion on HELP!! need some tutoring... - PGP ; I need tutoring to get started with PGP. I'm on a Mac w/ OS X, ver. 10.4.7 Just got PGP 9, ver. 9.0.6 (bld. 6060) News client is Panic's Unison, ver. 1.7.6 At present, only want to use it for ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: HELP!! need some tutoring...

  1. HELP!! need some tutoring...

    I need tutoring to get started with PGP.

    I'm on a Mac w/ OS X, ver. 10.4.7
    Just got PGP 9, ver. 9.0.6 (bld. 6060)
    News client is Panic's Unison, ver. 1.7.6

    At present, only want to use it for secured messaging
    (including a encrypted portion in an otherwise clear
    msg./article) on Usenet using newsreader client s/w.

    Would someone please assist me?

    Thx. in advance.
    --


  2. Re: HELP!! need some tutoring...

    PGP-newbie wrote:
    > I need tutoring to get started with PGP.
    >
    > I'm on a Mac w/ OS X, ver. 10.4.7
    > Just got PGP 9, ver. 9.0.6 (bld. 6060)
    > News client is Panic's Unison, ver. 1.7.6
    >
    > At present, only want to use it for secured messaging
    > (including a encrypted portion in an otherwise clear
    > msg./article) on Usenet using newsreader client s/w.
    >
    > Would someone please assist me?
    >
    > Thx. in advance.


    See my . Not only does I present
    information in a non-technical manner (and some in a technical manner),
    but I also have a list of links to other resources.

    --

    David E. Ross


    Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
    into your E-mail? Use PGP.
    See my

  3. Re: HELP!! need some tutoring... (d.e.Ross followup)

    On 2006-09-17 13:24:27 -0400, "David E. Ross" said:

    > PGP-newbie wrote:
    >> I need tutoring to get started with PGP.
    >>
    >> I'm on a Mac w/ OS X, ver. 10.4.7
    >> Just got PGP 9, ver. 9.0.6 (bld. 6060)
    >> News client is Panic's Unison, ver. 1.7.6
    >>
    >> At present, only want to use it for secured messaging
    >> (including a encrypted portion in an otherwise clear
    >> msg./article) on Usenet using newsreader client s/w.
    >>
    >> Would someone please assist me?
    >>
    >> Thx. in advance.

    >
    > See my . Not only does I present
    > information in a non-technical manner (and some in a technical manner),
    > but I also have a list of links to other resources.


    Okay. Using your website and links, I:
    could find NO version-specific info (my installation)
    could find NO Mac-specific info (my platform)
    could find NO NNTP-specific or Usenet-specific info (my desired usage)

    the installed Help file yeilded nothing on these, and
    the PGP website yeilded nothing, either, at least that
    I could find by browsing or searching.

    ?????
    Am I just mistaken about the results I got from the above?

    Please reconsider, and offer assistance right here with
    appropriate and specific answers to questions I have.

    Thank you.

    --


  4. Re: HELP!! need some tutoring... (d.e.Ross followup)

    PGP-newbie wrote:
    > On 2006-09-17 13:24:27 -0400, "David E. Ross" said:
    >
    >> PGP-newbie wrote:
    >>> I need tutoring to get started with PGP.
    >>>
    >>> I'm on a Mac w/ OS X, ver. 10.4.7
    >>> Just got PGP 9, ver. 9.0.6 (bld. 6060)
    >>> News client is Panic's Unison, ver. 1.7.6
    >>>
    >>> At present, only want to use it for secured messaging
    >>> (including a encrypted portion in an otherwise clear
    >>> msg./article) on Usenet using newsreader client s/w.
    >>>
    >>> Would someone please assist me?
    >>>
    >>> Thx. in advance.

    >>
    >> See my . Not only does I present
    >> information in a non-technical manner (and some in a technical
    >> manner), but I also have a list of links to other resources.

    >
    > Okay. Using your website and links, I:
    > could find NO version-specific info (my installation)
    > could find NO Mac-specific info (my platform)
    > could find NO NNTP-specific or Usenet-specific info (my desired usage)
    >
    > the installed Help file yeilded nothing on these, and
    > the PGP website yeilded nothing, either, at least that
    > I could find by browsing or searching.
    >
    > ?????
    > Am I just mistaken about the results I got from the above?
    >
    > Please reconsider, and offer assistance right here with
    > appropriate and specific answers to questions I have.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >


    My Web site is intentionally non-specific to versions and platforms.
    That way, I don't have to keep updating just for those items. Instead,
    my Web site presents concepts.

    For version-specific and platform-specific issues, you really do need to
    read the documentation that installs with PGP. When I installed PGP, I
    got two PDF files: "An Introduction to Cryptography" (which discusses
    concepts) and "PGP Desktop for Windows Userís Guide" (because I use
    Windows, which discusses how to use the current version of PGP). Yes,
    these are quite lengthy; but they're also well written for an audience
    that is non-expert.

    If you do not have these documents on your Mac, try
    ; unfortunately, that site has not been updated
    since the end of 2002 and thus does not have any version 9
    documentation. However, the version 7 documentation for the Mac might
    still help you. If you really need the version 9 documentation, you
    might try contacting the PGP Corp ().

    I don't have any Mac experience and cannot help you with issues specific
    to the Mac.

    --

    David E. Ross


    Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
    into your E-mail? Use PGP.
    See my

  5. Re: HELP!! need some tutoring... (d.e.Ross followup)

    On 2006-09-18 13:05:01 -0400, "David E. Ross" said:

    > PGP-newbie wrote:
    >> On 2006-09-17 13:24:27 -0400, "David E. Ross" said:
    >>
    >>> PGP-newbie wrote:
    >>>> I need tutoring to get started with PGP.
    >>>>
    >>>> I'm on a Mac w/ OS X, ver. 10.4.7
    >>>> Just got PGP 9, ver. 9.0.6 (bld. 6060)
    >>>> News client is Panic's Unison, ver. 1.7.6
    >>>>
    >>>> At present, only want to use it for secured messaging
    >>>> (including a encrypted portion in an otherwise clear
    >>>> msg./article) on Usenet using newsreader client s/w.
    >>>>
    >>>> Would someone please assist me?
    >>>>
    >>>> Thx. in advance.
    >>>
    >>> See my . Not only does I present
    >>> information in a non-technical manner (and some in a technical manner),
    >>> but I also have a list of links to other resources.

    >>
    >> Okay. Using your website and links, I:
    >> could find NO version-specific info (my installation)
    >> could find NO Mac-specific info (my platform)
    >> could find NO NNTP-specific or Usenet-specific info (my desired usage)
    >>
    >> the installed Help file yeilded nothing on these, and
    >> the PGP website yeilded nothing, either, at least that
    >> I could find by browsing or searching.
    >>
    >> ?????
    >> Am I just mistaken about the results I got from the above?
    >>
    >> Please reconsider, and offer assistance right here with
    >> appropriate and specific answers to questions I have.
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >>

    >
    > My Web site is intentionally non-specific to versions and platforms.
    > That way, I don't have to keep updating just for those items. Instead,
    > my Web site presents concepts.
    >
    > For version-specific and platform-specific issues, you really do need
    > to read the documentation that installs with PGP. When I installed
    > PGP, I got two PDF files: "An Introduction to Cryptography" (which
    > discusses concepts) and "PGP Desktop for Windows User’s Guide" (because
    > I use Windows, which discusses how to use the current version of PGP).
    > Yes, these are quite lengthy; but they're also well written for an
    > audience that is non-expert.
    >
    > If you do not have these documents on your Mac, try
    > ; unfortunately, that site has not been updated
    > since the end of 2002 and thus does not have any version 9
    > documentation. However, the version 7 documentation for the Mac might
    > still help you. If you really need the version 9 documentation, you
    > might try contacting the PGP Corp ().
    >
    > I don't have any Mac experience and cannot help you with issues
    > specific to the Mac.


    Okay.....

    I did find and read the documention included w/ v9 installation
    first off, before I posted anything here. Neither those doc's., nor
    the PGP website gave me what I need, which is:

    I only want to include a portion of a message as PGP with a POST
    to Usenet. It's not mentioned for this, only how to use it with an
    "eMail" client or "messaging" that I could find.
    What do I need to do to accomplish confidendtial stuff in Usenet?
    If described, I may be able to interpret what is needed for my
    platform, but can't find any reference to Usenet, NNTP, or usage
    of PGP for that purpose with newsreader clients.

    Also:
    Is any of my registration info, as recorded with PGP, included anywhere
    in either of the key-pairs? ...is that info part of the encrypted msg.?

    Thanks in advance for your responses.
    --


  6. Re: HELP!! need some tutoring... (d.e.Ross followup)

    PGP-newbie wrote:

    > >>>> I'm on a Mac w/ OS X, ver. 10.4.7
    > >>>> Just got PGP 9, ver. 9.0.6 (bld. 6060)
    > >>>> News client is Panic's Unison, ver. 1.7.6
    > >>>>
    > >>>> At present, only want to use it for secured messaging
    > >>>> (including a encrypted portion in an otherwise clear
    > >>>> msg./article) on Usenet using newsreader client s/w.


    > I only want to include a portion of a message as PGP with a POST
    > to Usenet. It's not mentioned for this, only how to use it with an
    > "eMail" client or "messaging" that I could find


    if what you want to do is,
    post a message to usenet consisting of
    (a) plain message
    and
    (b) encrypted PGP message

    then this is very easy to do, and it doesn't matter what platform or
    e-mail client is used

    [1] first compose the message that you want encrypted, as a plain text
    file
    [2] encrypt the plain text
    (it should give you a text block that starts with:
    -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE---- )
    [3] paste the PGP message block together with your unencrypted plain
    message,
    into whatever program you use to 'post' with, and then 'post' the
    composite message

    the issue that you have not mentioned,
    but that is necessary to know to be able to help you, is:

    *who* is supposed to be reading your encrypted message,
    and how will they be able to decrypt it?

    the simplest way to do this,
    is to share a passphrase with some select audience whom you trust,
    and then encrypt symmetrically,

    alternatively,
    (and somewhat safer, as it doesn't depend on an attacker guessing the
    passphrase),
    you can all have copies of the same keypair, and then each of you can
    decrypt the message


    > Also:
    > Is any of my registration info, as recorded with PGP, included anywhere
    > in either of the key-pairs? ...is that info part of the encrypted msg.?


    none

    and if you don't use your real name in your key, or posting client,
    or internet connection,
    then even that can be concealed


    vedaal


  7. Re: HELP!! need some tutoring... (d.e.Ross followup)

    In
    Message-ID:<1158698108.574476.162310@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>,
    "vedaal" wrote:

    >the issue that you have not mentioned,
    >but that is necessary to know to be able to help you, is:
    >
    >*who* is supposed to be reading your encrypted message,
    >and how will they be able to decrypt it?


    Also, netiquette requires that you *not* post encrypted data
    except to groups where it's specifically allowed.

    --
    Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" intergate "dot" com
    Looking for a good MVS systems programmer position

  8. Re: HELP!! need some tutoring... (d.e.Ross followup)

    On 2006-09-19 17:59:51 -0400, Arthur T. said:

    > In
    >
    >> the issue that you have not mentioned,
    >> but that is necessary to know to be able to help you, is:
    >>
    >> *who* is supposed to be reading your encrypted message,
    >> and how will they be able to decrypt it?

    >
    > Also, netiquette requires that you *not* post encrypted data
    > except to groups where it's specifically allowed.


    All the help now forthcoming is allowing me to make some
    progress with pgp and use it only for what I need it for at
    the present. I can and will learn more later. But for now...
    Thanks all.
    --


+ Reply to Thread