New user ID? - PGP

This is a discussion on New user ID? - PGP ; Hi All, Another stoopid noobie here that can't remember his pass phrase. Is there any way to revoke my existing public key without a pass phrase? I obviously still have my secret key and my ISP can certainly vouch for ...

  1. New user ID?

    Hi All,

    Another stoopid noobie here that can't remember his pass phrase.

    Is there any way to revoke my existing public key without a pass phrase?
    I obviously still have my secret key and my ISP can certainly vouch
    for me personally and the validity of my email address.

    I wouldn't think I could just reuse the same user ID and email address
    to generate a new key pair or anyone would be able to do that to anyone.

    What do most people do* about generating a new user ID and/or email
    address. Can I use the same user ID with a different e-mail address?

    Finally, Is there still no way to regenerate my pass phrase even though
    I remember bits and pieces of it.

    I'm sure there must be a FAQ around somewhere for dealing with this
    issue - I just haven't found it yet. Please point it out if you know.

    Thanks in advance

    Don

    * Besides not forgetting their pass phrase ... ~smile

  2. Re: New user ID?

    Don Sutter wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Another stoopid noobie here that can't remember his pass phrase.
    >
    > Is there any way to revoke my existing public key without a pass phrase?
    > I obviously still have my secret key and my ISP can certainly vouch for
    > me personally and the validity of my email address.
    >
    > I wouldn't think I could just reuse the same user ID and email address
    > to generate a new key pair or anyone would be able to do that to anyone.
    >
    > What do most people do* about generating a new user ID and/or email
    > address. Can I use the same user ID with a different e-mail address?
    >
    > Finally, Is there still no way to regenerate my pass phrase even though
    > I remember bits and pieces of it.
    >
    > I'm sure there must be a FAQ around somewhere for dealing with this
    > issue - I just haven't found it yet. Please point it out if you know.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Don
    >
    > * Besides not forgetting their pass phrase ... ~smile

    See my .

    --

    David E. Ross

    Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
    into your E-mail? Use PGP.
    See my

  3. Re: New user ID?

    David E. Ross wrote:
    > Don Sutter wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> Another stoopid noobie here that can't remember his pass phrase.
    >>
    >> Is there any way to revoke my existing public key without a pass
    >> phrase? I obviously still have my secret key and my ISP can certainly
    >> vouch for me personally and the validity of my email address.
    >>
    >> I wouldn't think I could just reuse the same user ID and email address
    >> to generate a new key pair or anyone would be able to do that to anyone.
    >>
    >> What do most people do* about generating a new user ID and/or email
    >> address. Can I use the same user ID with a different e-mail address?
    >>
    >> Finally, Is there still no way to regenerate my pass phrase even
    >> though I remember bits and pieces of it.
    >>
    >> I'm sure there must be a FAQ around somewhere for dealing with this
    >> issue - I just haven't found it yet. Please point it out if you know.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >>
    >> Don
    >>
    >> * Besides not forgetting their pass phrase ... ~smile

    > See my .

    Thank you David

  4. Re: New user ID?

    In article <12cvupq7h4tfabd@corp.supernews.com>,
    Don Sutter wrote:
    >Is there any way to revoke my existing public key without a pass phrase?

    No.

    Hopefully this will be an annoying situation, such that you'll remember
    the importance of that pass phrase. (Pain is an excellent teacher.)

    --
    Gregory Pratt gp@panix.com
    East Rutherford, NJ, USA http://www.panix.com/~gp/

+ Reply to Thread