keyserver entry for feedback form - PGP

This is a discussion on keyserver entry for feedback form - PGP ; I am currently using PGP 8 to access keyserver.pgp.com My question is, I would like to create an entry for my feedback form on my website, of form www.myweb.com/feedback.html Thus the entry would read; John Smith I understand that with ...

  1. keyserver entry for feedback form

    I am currently using PGP 8 to access keyserver.pgp.com My question
    is, I would like to create an entry for my feedback form on my
    website, of form www.myweb.com/feedback.html

    Thus the entry would read;

    John Smith

    I understand that with Global Directory in PGP 9 it is necessary for
    the key to include a valid email address, but I do not want to do that
    because of spam problems. Is there any way I can limit the keyserver
    entry to just a web feedback form which will not have to be an email
    address which responds to confirmation requests from pgp.com every six
    months? The old keyserver.pgp.com had a number of keys with webpage
    URL but no associated emails.

    The only way I can think of around this is to place the URL in the
    name field and the email as per usual, which is an imperfect solution.

  2. Re: keyserver entry for feedback form

    In article , mouse@house.spam says...
    > I am currently using PGP 8 to access keyserver.pgp.com My question
    > is, I would like to create an entry for my feedback form on my
    > website, of form www.myweb.com/feedback.html
    >
    > Thus the entry would read;
    >
    > John Smith
    >
    > I understand that with Global Directory in PGP 9 it is necessary for
    > the key to include a valid email address, but I do not want to do that
    > because of spam problems. Is there any way I can limit the keyserver
    > entry to just a web feedback form which will not have to be an email
    > address which responds to confirmation requests from pgp.com every six
    > months? The old keyserver.pgp.com had a number of keys with webpage
    > URL but no associated emails.
    >
    > The only way I can think of around this is to place the URL in the
    > name field and the email as per usual, which is an imperfect solution.

    You could ignore PGP,Inc's Global Directory Keyserver and use
    a "regular keyserver" where you have the option of labeling
    it as you see fit--use your email address; no address at all;
    or label it NDB (nobody's d**n business).
    Casey

  3. Re: keyserver entry for feedback form

    The only thing I can think of is to set up your own pop3 server software designed
    only to process key renewing.

  4. Re: keyserver entry for feedback form

    On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 20:57:30 GMT, Casey
    wrote:

    >You could ignore PGP,Inc's Global Directory Keyserver and use
    >a "regular keyserver" where you have the option of labeling
    >it as you see fit--use your email address; no address at all;
    >or label it NDB (nobody's d**n business).
    >Casey

    But you can delete keys from GD, whereas you cannot delete keys from
    other keyservers.

    Where is a list of keyservers, as a web page? I used to have such a
    list but seem to have lost it.

  5. Re: keyserver entry for feedback form

    On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 23:42:15 +0200, Humanizm w Polsce
    wrote:

    >The only thing I can think of is to set up your own pop3 server software designed
    >only to process key renewing.

    That wouldn't be necessary; I could allocate one address on my domain
    and allow email to get through to that address.

    Where are all the helpful posters on this group? Where is Tom McCune?
    It seems a bit dead here compared to the last time I posted a year
    ago.

  6. Re: keyserver entry for feedback form

    I am not sure how renewing works. If it requires a series of clicks like those
    while changing your key, you will need a special application.

  7. Re: keyserver entry for feedback form

    mouse@house.spam wrote...
    > On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 23:42:15 +0200, Humanizm w Polsce
    > wrote:
    >
    >>The only thing I can think of is to set up your own pop3 server software designed
    >>only to process key renewing.

    > That wouldn't be necessary; I could allocate one address on my domain
    > and allow email to get through to that address.
    >
    > Where are all the helpful posters on this group? Where is Tom McCune?
    > It seems a bit dead here compared to the last time I posted a year
    > ago.

    I'm not sure where Tom currently is (he is usually generally around),
    and he is a very helpful poster, but that does not detract from the
    need an email address which can be verified - it's the whole point of
    the thing. Either: use the network of proper key servers; or, provide an
    email address which can be verified.
    hth.

  8. Re: keyserver entry for feedback form

    On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 02:58:03 +0100, Jim wrote:

    >need an email address which can be verified - it's the whole point of
    >the thing. Either: use the network of proper key servers; or, provide an
    >email address which can be verified.
    >hth.

    For the email address, is it permitted to use a forwarded address? If
    I register fred@bloggs.net which is forwarded to another email, is
    that permitted?

  9. Re: keyserver entry for feedback form

  10. Re: keyserver entry for feedback form

    Probably preaching to the choir...

    PGP Global Directory could not establish itself as a trusted signer if
    it did not validate. PGP Global Directory now only allows one public
    key per e-mail address such that there is no confusion as to which is
    the current key. To further that, PGP prunes the directory every 6
    months to ensure that only current and active keys are available.
    Beyond being merely a place to find people's keys the PGP Global
    Directory has established itself as a hub of trust. If I get your
    public key from the PGP GD I know that it was validated and thus
    trustworthy to the extent that such validation can offer.

    pgpcolby

    mouse@house.spam wrote:
    > I am currently using PGP 8 to access keyserver.pgp.com My question
    > is, I would like to create an entry for my feedback form on my
    > website, of form www.myweb.com/feedback.html
    >
    > Thus the entry would read;
    >
    > John Smith
    >
    > I understand that with Global Directory in PGP 9 it is necessary for
    > the key to include a valid email address, but I do not want to do that
    > because of spam problems. Is there any way I can limit the keyserver
    > entry to just a web feedback form which will not have to be an email
    > address which responds to confirmation requests from pgp.com every six
    > months? The old keyserver.pgp.com had a number of keys with webpage
    > URL but no associated emails.
    >
    > The only way I can think of around this is to place the URL in the
    > name field and the email as per usual, which is an imperfect solution.

  11. Re: keyserver entry for feedback form

    On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 21:10:28 +0200, Le Forgeron
    wrote:

    >> For the email address, is it permitted to use a forwarded address? If
    >> I register fred@bloggs.net which is forwarded to another email, is
    >> that permitted?

    >the Global Directory will send an email to the address, then you
    >will have to click on the link provided inside that email.
    >So, as long as you can read that email, things should be fine.

    Is it permitted to delete a key for an email address in Global
    Directory? or once a key for an email address is there, then it's
    always there, unless updated? thanks.

  12. Re: keyserver entry for feedback form

    On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 11:36:01 +0100, me@privacy.net wrote:

    >On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 21:10:28 +0200, Le Forgeron
    >wrote:
    >
    >>> For the email address, is it permitted to use a forwarded address? If
    >>> I register fred@bloggs.net which is forwarded to another email, is
    >>> that permitted?

    >>the Global Directory will send an email to the address, then you
    >>will have to click on the link provided inside that email.
    >>So, as long as you can read that email, things should be fine.

    >Is it permitted to delete a key for an email address in Global
    >Directory? or once a key for an email address is there, then it's
    >always there, unless updated? thanks.

    Sorry to labour the point, but is it possible to delete an entry in
    the Global Directory? Yes / no? Thanks for answer.

  13. Re: keyserver entry for feedback form

    me@privacy.net wrote...

    > Sorry to labour the point, but is it possible to delete an entry in
    > the Global Directory? Yes / no? Thanks for answer.

    Yes. You can either delete it, or not renew it.

  14. Re: keyserver entry for feedback form

    Le Forgeron wrote:

    >>> For the email address, is it permitted to use a forwarded address? If
    >>> I register fred@bloggs.net which is forwarded to another email, is
    >>> that permitted?

    > the Global Directory will send an email to the address, then you
    > will have to click on the link provided inside that email.
    > So, as long as you can read that email, things should be fine.

    Just setup a forwarder email so you can use it with the PGP GD. For
    example, you can setup pgp@yourdomain.com which will then redirect to
    whatever email address you use. The forwarder email is only for PGP use,
    and if the spam does hahpen to get really bad, then you can just delete
    the forwarder address or make a different one. Would be a good idea to
    turn off your catch-all email address though if you are running it, so
    no spam leaks through. Anwyay, just an idea, that I'm currently doing.

+ Reply to Thread