best pgp software question - PGP

This is a discussion on best pgp software question - PGP ; I apologize for this very basic question. I have a number of files that I want to encrypt with pgp. They are letters, legal documents and other similar files that I don't want anyone to see. I'm looking for a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58

  1. best pgp software question

    I apologize for this very basic question. I have a number of files that
    I want to encrypt with pgp. They are letters, legal documents and other
    similar files that I don't want anyone to see. I'm looking for a
    software package to buy. Something free is good too if it does what I
    want. I have many folders and many files. I could take all the files in
    a folder, put them in a zip file and then encrypt the zip file. Or, I
    might want to encrypt each file individually. Is there a software
    package that will take 100 or so files and encrypt each one of them
    individually with a few strokes by me? What software is best?

    I went to:

    http://www1.pgpstore.com/product.htm...currencies=USD

    and looked at:

    PGP Desktop Home 9.0

    This is the link:

    http://www1.pgpstore.com/product.htm...currencies=USD

    It costs 99 dollars. Would anyone recommend that one or not? Is there
    one better? Is there one cheaper?

    Please help.

    Jennifer

  2. Re: best pgp software question

    "jennifer1988" wrote in
    news:1146809706.745775.253190@j73g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com:

    > I apologize for this very basic question. I have a number of files
    > that I want to encrypt with pgp. They are letters, legal documents
    > and other similar files that I don't want anyone to see. I'm
    > looking for a software package to buy. Something free is good too
    > if it does what I want. I have many folders and many files. I
    > could take all the files in a folder, put them in a zip file and
    > then encrypt the zip file. Or, I might want to encrypt each file
    > individually. Is there a software package that will take 100 or so
    > files and encrypt each one of them individually with a few strokes
    > by me? What software is best?

    I would recommend the (IMHO) excellent freeware "Truecrypt".
    It works by creating a virtual disk that exists as an encrypted
    container file on your compter and when given the correct password will
    mount as a drive on your compter. Once mounted, you have free access
    to read/write anything on this virtual disk until it is dismounted --
    at which time it reverts to an encrypted container file. Many options.
    Much less messy than working with encrypted zip files.

    The functionality is similar to "PGP Disk" at a fraction of the cost
    and does not depend on PGP being installed on a given system.

    HTH,
    John

  3. Re: best pgp software question

    jennifer1988 wrote:
    > I apologize for this very basic question. I have a number of files that
    > I want to encrypt with pgp. They are letters, legal documents and other
    > similar files that I don't want anyone to see. I'm looking for a
    > software package to buy. Something free is good too if it does what I
    > want. I have many folders and many files. I could take all the files in
    > a folder, put them in a zip file and then encrypt the zip file. Or, I
    > might want to encrypt each file individually. Is there a software
    > package that will take 100 or so files and encrypt each one of them
    > individually with a few strokes by me? What software is best?
    >
    > I went to:
    >
    > http://www1.pgpstore.com/product.htm...currencies=USD
    >
    > and looked at:
    >
    > PGP Desktop Home 9.0
    >
    > This is the link:
    >
    > http://www1.pgpstore.com/product.htm...currencies=USD
    >
    > It costs 99 dollars. Would anyone recommend that one or not? Is there
    > one better? Is there one cheaper?
    >
    > Please help.
    >
    > Jennifer

    I believe that PGP is available as freeware for personal, non-commercial
    use. If you can't find a free version at the PGP, Inc. Web site, check
    the links at my .

    Followup set to comp.security.pgp.discuss.

    --

    David E. Ross

    Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
    into your E-mail? Use PGP.
    See my

  4. Re: best pgp software question

    05/05/2006

    jennifer1988 wrote:

    > It costs 99 dollars. Would anyone recommend that one or not? Is there
    > one better? Is there one cheaper?
    >
    > Please help.
    >
    > Jennifer

    Dear Jennifer,

    I still use a free version of Imad's pgp656 I think it is, and on
    that particular bundle of software he included the celebrated 'pgp
    disk' that created a drive letter (on win98se) that was secured with
    your excellent passphrase. The drive could be made as large as you
    liked, and placed anywhere on the hard drive. I put mine in a
    directory called 'saved text' among hundreds of others
    within a larger directory called 'warez' that was then in a larger
    directory etc. etc.

    When not in use the 'drive letter' virtual as it were, doesn't show.
    As far as individual files are concerned, pgp656 will do that too.
    You'll get some pgp options in the windows shell menu from the right
    click.

    You could individually encrypt the files that went into the
    encrypted pgp disk..the security makes one's head swim. Use a good
    hasher like SHA256 and blowfish if you have the option I have
    forgotten how I set that up. I Don't use windows as much as I used to.

    One other thing, if you were sharing this computer consider making
    the directory for pgp not show as well. I use a free application
    called 'hide files' and it will make any sign of directories
    including its own, not be there. (A few key strokes and you're back in)

    I doubt that pgp656 is compatible with the new pgp. No commercial
    version of pgp is going to be backwardly compatible for long.

    I'm telling you all this because I see you're using mozilla on win98
    and thought you could use those two applications now and without
    having to pay.

    Oh yes, you mentioned zipping up the files before encryption and
    that's fine. Consider a superior and open source zip and other
    compression types application called '7Zip.' It is really much
    better than 'winZIP' and does the RAR compression too so you don't
    have to buy 'winRAR.'

    You probably won't be able to find these warez anymore pgp656 or
    hide files..but I have them.

    - --
    C.K.

    Dat tergum fugitivus Amor-

  5. Re: best pgp software question

    Hello, I have a couple of free ones on our site you might be interested
    in, maxcrypt will do what you want, and if you decide at some point you
    want full disk encryption, have a look at compusec,

    Regards,

    http://www.privacyoffshore.net/links.html1.html

  6. Re: best pgp software question

    p.s., they use AES-2, but should do for average use purposes.

  7. Re: best pgp software question

    cum@once.org wrote:
    > Hi Jennifer
    >
    > I use PGP desktop 9...and have since it's release...I have no problems. If
    > you use it, it will crate an encrypted zip file for you (with EXE
    > extension), so there would be no need to zip then encrypt - PGP will do both
    > together, although there are better compression programs out there.

    Hi Bryan
    I didn't know that. What are the better programs?

    > If you're going to keep your encrypted files on your computer..then I'm sure
    > there are other programs that will do the job, perhaps encyption, then
    > hiding?. Take a look at MASKER 7

    Thanks.

    > However, if you plan sending the encrypted file as attachments. or on
    > media...than I think PGP is the program.
    >
    > Of course there is the problem of keys..(although PGP desktop can make an
    > encrypted file with password) if you're sending the file(s) over the
    > Internet as attachment or via snail mail on a computer media (CD; DVD;
    > floppy) then the recipient will need to have PGP installed as well to run
    > the decryption...unless (as I said earlier) you make an encrypted file using
    > password...then the recipient will need to know the password.
    >
    > One option is to create a list of passwords (about 50ish) - and give an
    > index to each password..send that to whoever will receive the self
    > decrypting file...give the encrypted file the index name collating to the
    > password...so the individual receiving the file will know which password to
    > use...

    Is there an advantage to encrypting a file 3 times with 3 different
    passwords that are at least 16 characters long?

    Jennifer

    > PGP is the standard......
    >
    > - Bryan -

  8. Re: best pgp software question

    John Wunderlich wrote:
    > "jennifer1988" wrote in
    > news:1146809706.745775.253190@j73g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com:
    >
    > > I apologize for this very basic question. I have a number of files
    > > that I want to encrypt with pgp. They are letters, legal documents
    > > and other similar files that I don't want anyone to see. I'm
    > > looking for a software package to buy. Something free is good too
    > > if it does what I want. I have many folders and many files. I
    > > could take all the files in a folder, put them in a zip file and
    > > then encrypt the zip file. Or, I might want to encrypt each file
    > > individually. Is there a software package that will take 100 or so
    > > files and encrypt each one of them individually with a few strokes
    > > by me? What software is best?
    > >

    > I would recommend the (IMHO) excellent freeware "Truecrypt".
    > It works by creating a virtual disk that exists as an encrypted
    > container file on your compter and when given the correct password will
    > mount as a drive on your compter. Once mounted, you have free access
    > to read/write anything on this virtual disk until it is dismounted --
    > at which time it reverts to an encrypted container file. Many options.
    > Much less messy than working with encrypted zip files.
    >
    > The functionality is similar to "PGP Disk" at a fraction of the cost
    > and does not depend on PGP being installed on a given system.

    Thanks for telling me about it. How secure is it?

    Jennifer

    > HTH,
    > John

  9. Re: best pgp software question

    David E. Ross wrote:
    > jennifer1988 wrote:
    > > I apologize for this very basic question. I have a number of files that
    > > I want to encrypt with pgp. They are letters, legal documents and other
    > > similar files that I don't want anyone to see. I'm looking for a
    > > software package to buy. Something free is good too if it does what I
    > > want. I have many folders and many files. I could take all the files in
    > > a folder, put them in a zip file and then encrypt the zip file. Or, I
    > > might want to encrypt each file individually. Is there a software
    > > package that will take 100 or so files and encrypt each one of them
    > > individually with a few strokes by me? What software is best?
    > >
    > > I went to:
    > >
    > > http://www1.pgpstore.com/product.htm...currencies=USD
    > >
    > > and looked at:
    > >
    > > PGP Desktop Home 9.0
    > >
    > > This is the link:
    > >
    > > http://www1.pgpstore.com/product.htm...currencies=USD
    > >
    > > It costs 99 dollars. Would anyone recommend that one or not? Is there
    > > one better? Is there one cheaper?
    > >
    > > Please help.
    > >
    > > Jennifer
    > >

    > I believe that PGP is available as freeware for personal, non-commercial
    > use. If you can't find a free version at the PGP, Inc. Web site, check
    > the links at my .

    Thanks.

    > Followup set to comp.security.pgp.discuss.
    >
    > --
    >
    > David E. Ross
    >

    > Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
    > into your E-mail? Use PGP.
    > See my

  10. Re: best pgp software question

    charlie kroeger wrote:

    > 05/05/2006
    >
    > jennifer1988 wrote:
    >
    > > It costs 99 dollars. Would anyone recommend that one or not? Is there
    > > one better? Is there one cheaper?
    > >
    > > Please help.
    > >
    > > Jennifer

    > Dear Jennifer,
    >
    > I still use a free version of Imad's pgp656 I think it is, and on
    > that particular bundle of software he included the celebrated 'pgp
    > disk' that created a drive letter (on win98se) that was secured with
    > your excellent passphrase.

    Which passphrase?

    > The drive could be made as large as you
    > liked, and placed anywhere on the hard drive. I put mine in a
    > directory called 'saved text' among hundreds of others
    > within a larger directory called 'warez' that was then in a larger
    > directory etc. etc.
    >
    > When not in use the 'drive letter' virtual as it were, doesn't show.
    > As far as individual files are concerned, pgp656 will do that too.
    > You'll get some pgp options in the windows shell menu from the right
    > click.
    >
    > You could individually encrypt the files that went into the
    > encrypted pgp disk..the security makes one's head swim. Use a good
    > hasher like SHA256 and blowfish if you have the option I have
    > forgotten how I set that up. I Don't use windows as much as I used to.

    Is there an advantage to using it with linux?

    > One other thing, if you were sharing this computer consider making
    > the directory for pgp not show as well. I use a free application
    > called 'hide files' and it will make any sign of directories
    > including its own, not be there. (A few key strokes and you're back in)

    Where can you get 'hide files'?

    > I doubt that pgp656 is compatible with the new pgp. No commercial
    > version of pgp is going to be backwardly compatible for long.
    >
    > I'm telling you all this because I see you're using mozilla on win98
    > and thought you could use those two applications now and without
    > having to pay.
    >
    > Oh yes, you mentioned zipping up the files before encryption and
    > that's fine. Consider a superior and open source zip and other
    > compression types application called '7Zip.' It is really much
    > better than 'winZIP' and does the RAR compression too so you don't
    > have to buy 'winRAR.'

    Thanks.

    Jennifer

    > You probably won't be able to find these warez anymore pgp656 or
    > hide files..but I have them.
    >
    > - --
    > C.K.
    >
    > Dat tergum fugitivus Amor-

  11. Re: best pgp software question

    (admins) privacyoffshore wrote:
    > Hello, I have a couple of free ones on our site you might be interested
    > in, maxcrypt will do what you want, and if you decide at some point you
    > want full disk encryption, have a look at compusec,

    Thanks. Is compusec better than PGP Desktop Home 9.0?

    > Regards,
    >
    > http://www.privacyoffshore.net/links.html1.html

  12. Re: best pgp software question

    jennifer1988 wrote:

    > (admins) privacyoffshore wrote:
    >> Hello, I have a couple of free ones on our site you might be interested
    >> in, maxcrypt will do what you want, and if you decide at some point you
    >> want full disk encryption, have a look at compusec,
    >>

    > Thanks. Is compusec better than PGP Desktop Home 9.0?

    Not even close. Compusec is a closed source, unknown quality and untested
    implementation of a single algorithm that was recommended to you by a
    known liar. HINT: Privacyoffshore.net isn't "off shore" at all.

    PGP is open source, time tested, well respected, developed by one of the
    top professionals in the field, and used by so many more people that if
    you have a problem answers will be easy to find.

    If you want file by file encryption (and email signatures and such) don't
    look any further than PGP or GnuPG. The two are mostly interoperable, well
    tested, and secure. Both have free versions.

  13. Re: best pgp software question

    TwistyCreek wrote in

    > jennifer1988 wrote:
    >
    >> (admins) privacyoffshore wrote:
    >>> Hello, I have a couple of free ones on our site you might be
    >>> interested in, maxcrypt will do what you want, and if you decide at
    >>> some point you want full disk encryption, have a look at compusec,
    >>>

    >> Thanks. Is compusec better than PGP Desktop Home 9.0?

    > Not even close. Compusec is a closed source, unknown quality and
    > untested implementation of a single algorithm that was recommended to
    > you by a known liar. HINT: Privacyoffshore.net isn't "off shore" at
    > all.

    Once again you have revealed your ignorance while sowing misinformation and
    confusion.

    Free Compusec is a closed-source free program which provides complete-HD
    OTFE encryption. It is made by a reputable company. PGP Wholedisk
    performs the same function. And PGP corporation, the software house
    providing PGP, is also a reputable company. (Phil Zimmerman's role is
    described as "special advisor and consultant." He consults to many
    companies.)

    Further, and this is the crucial point, while source code is publicly
    available for most of the PGP suite (if you agree to the NDA), it is NOT
    available for PGP Wholedisk.

    Regards,

    PGP Desktop Home does not include PGP Wholedisk (Desktop Pro, which I have,
    does). Accordingly there is no overlap of function between Compusec and
    PGP Desktop Home - they perform entirely different functions.

  14. Re: best pgp software question

    nemo_outis wrote:

    > TwistyCreek wrote in
    >
    >> jennifer1988 wrote:

    >>> Thanks. Is compusec better than PGP Desktop Home 9.0?

    >> Not even close. Compusec is a closed source, unknown quality and
    >> untested implementation of a single algorithm that was recommended to
    >> you by a known liar. HINT: Privacyoffshore.net isn't "off shore" at all.

    > Once again you have revealed your ignorance while sowing misinformation
    > and confusion.

    Once again you puff your chest out and end up looking like a clueless
    fool.....

    > Free Compusec is a closed-source free program which provides complete-HD
    > OTFE encryption. It is made by a reputable company.

    Reputable or not, it's closed source and new enough to be untested.
    Period. You're wetting yourself over something I did not say. Wetting
    yourself for the sake of wetting yourself I suppose.

    > PGP Wholedisk
    > performs the same function. And PGP corporation, the software house
    > providing PGP, is also a reputable company. (Phil Zimmerman's role is
    > described as "special advisor and consultant." He consults to many
    > companies.)
    >
    > Further, and this is the crucial point, while source code is publicly
    > available for most of the PGP suite (if you agree to the NDA), it is NOT
    > available for PGP Wholedisk.

    BULL****! The only one ignorant of fact here is you. Source code to ALL
    versions of PGP are available for peer review. Yes, you must agree to
    their NDA, but PGP WholeDisk is in fact the only mainstream whole disk
    OTFE with published source code. TC and others are container based, and
    DCPP is closed source also.

    You really slopped your dripper on this one Nemo. Ooooops.

  15. Re: best pgp software question

    TwistyCreek wrote in

    > nemo_outis wrote:
    >
    >> TwistyCreek wrote in

    >>> Not even close. Compusec is a closed source, unknown quality and
    >>> untested implementation of a single algorithm that was recommended
    >>> to you by a known liar. HINT: Privacyoffshore.net isn't "off shore"
    >>> at all.

    >> Once again you have revealed your ignorance while sowing
    >> misinformation and confusion.

    > Once again you puff your chest out and end up looking like a clueless
    > fool.....
    >

    >> Free Compusec is a closed-source free program which provides
    >> complete-HD OTFE encryption. It is made by a reputable company.

    > Reputable or not, it's closed source and new enough to be untested.
    > Period. You're wetting yourself over something I did not say. Wetting
    > yourself for the sake of wetting yourself I suppose.
    >
    >> PGP Wholedisk
    >> performs the same function. And PGP corporation, the software house
    >> providing PGP, is also a reputable company. (Phil Zimmerman's role is
    >> described as "special advisor and consultant." He consults to many
    >> companies.)
    >>
    >> Further, and this is the crucial point, while source code is publicly
    >> available for most of the PGP suite (if you agree to the NDA), it is
    >> NOT available for PGP Wholedisk.

    > BULL****! The only one ignorant of fact here is you. Source code to
    > ALL versions of PGP are available for peer review. Yes, you must agree
    > to their NDA, but PGP WholeDisk is in fact the only mainstream whole
    > disk OTFE with published source code. TC and others are container
    > based, and DCPP is closed source also.
    >
    > You really slopped your dripper on this one Nemo. Ooooops.

    'Fraid not, numbnuts. I got the source code for PGP Desktop in June 2005
    (all 32 meg of it) and for Universal a few months later. And, yes, I did
    it completely above-board by agreeing to the NDA.

    The Desktop source code is NOT for the Pro edition and does NOT contain
    source code for PGP Wholedisk. The source code for Universal
    Server/Client is for the 100 series (not the 200 or 500 series) and also
    does NOT have the source code for Wholedisk.

    If you doubt this (you fool!) I invite you to nip on over to PGP Corp and
    check it out yourself!

    http://www.pgp.com/downloads/sourcec...ex.html#gplsrc

    Regards,

    PS Moreover, I might point out that any NDA (even PGP's not very strong
    one) invalidates the claim to open-source. I'll concede most of PGP (the
    versions from PGP Corp, as opposed to the earlier public ones) is
    "almost" open-source. But not for Wholedisk - that's tighter than a
    drum.

    Incidentally, the NDA self-identifying criteria for PGP Universal are
    considerably broader than for Desktop.

  16. Re: best pgp software question

    > Thanks. Is compusec better than PGP Desktop Home 9.0?

    It's really a matter of opinion, compusec was built by a very credible
    company that has established it's reputation over many years, it's not
    open source, but many other high quality software programs currently
    available aren't either, and there have never been problems with them.
    Ensured Mail, who was bought out a couple of years ago is an example.
    Open source isn't always the only answer. I would recommend compusec
    to you if your looking at full disk encryption, it's easy to use and
    very user friendly, just read over the manual before you use it.

    Regards,

    www.privacyoffshore.net
    www.privacyeurope.net

  17. Re: best pgp software question

  18. Re: best pgp software question

    nemo_outis wrote:

    >> BULL****! The only one ignorant of fact here is you. Source code to ALL
    >> versions of PGP are available for peer review. Yes, you must agree to
    >> their NDA, but PGP WholeDisk is in fact the only mainstream whole disk
    >> OTFE with published source code. TC and others are container based, and
    >> DCPP is closed source also.
    >>
    >> You really slopped your dripper on this one Nemo. Ooooops.
    >>

    > 'Fraid not, numbnuts. I got the source code for PGP Desktop in June 2005

    I never took you for a liar, but I see I was wrong about that. You either
    don't have ****, or you're lying about what's there. Even the page you
    cited has links to full source for all versions, and the sources I DO
    have here includes the source for their whole disk encryption. Everything.

    Maybe you just downloaded the GPL changes? Or maybe you have the source
    code you don't think you do, and just don't have a clue what you're
    looking at?

    You have, in the past, admitted you're not at all qualified to review
    these things. Maybe you're just ignorant, not lying.

    And agreeing to an NDA doesn't invalidate the fact that a program is open
    source, no matter how many hairs you want to try and split. The source is
    open for peer review. That's all that matters.

  19. Re: best pgp software question

    Depends what you want. I have been using axcrypt for a couple of years for personal documents, it's
    open source, and fits on a thumb drive. It's not PGP, but offers AES encryption for individual files (also
    does directories of files) and allows you to either lock them with a password, a key file, or both.

    http://axcrypt.axantum.com/

    "David E. Ross" wrote in

    > jennifer1988 wrote:
    >> I apologize for this very basic question. I have a number of files that
    >> I want to encrypt with pgp. They are letters, legal documents and other
    >> similar files that I don't want anyone to see. I'm looking for a
    >> software package to buy. Something free is good too if it does what I
    >> want. I have many folders and many files. I could take all the files in
    >> a folder, put them in a zip file and then encrypt the zip file. Or, I
    >> might want to encrypt each file individually. Is there a software
    >> package that will take 100 or so files and encrypt each one of them
    >> individually with a few strokes by me? What software is best?
    >>
    >> I went to:
    >>
    >> http://www1.pgpstore.com/product.htm...currencies=USD
    >>
    >> and looked at:
    >>
    >> PGP Desktop Home 9.0
    >>
    >> This is the link:
    >>
    >> http://www1.pgpstore.com/product.htm...sessionid=3816
    >> 37284&random=afc3c8595062196d98ecc03ba24e9ff2&currencies=USD
    >>
    >> It costs 99 dollars. Would anyone recommend that one or not? Is there
    >> one better? Is there one cheaper?
    >>
    >> Please help.
    >>
    >> Jennifer
    >>

    > I believe that PGP is available as freeware for personal, non-commercial
    > use. If you can't find a free version at the PGP, Inc. Web site, check
    > the links at my .
    >
    > Followup set to comp.security.pgp.discuss.

  20. Re: best pgp software question

    Besides being all ****ed up, your scattered twisty, your brain is short
    circuiting again

+ Reply to Thread