best pgp software question - PGP

This is a discussion on best pgp software question - PGP ; TwistyCreek wrote in news:Q91LN13G38843.6883680556@twistycreek.com: > > I never took you for a liar, but I see I was wrong about that. You > either don't have ****, or you're lying about what's there. Even the > page you cited has ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 58

  1. Re: best pgp software question

    TwistyCreek wrote in

    > I never took you for a liar, but I see I was wrong about that. You
    > either don't have ****, or you're lying about what's there. Even the
    > page you cited has links to full source for all versions, and the
    > sources I DO have here includes the source for their whole disk
    > encryption. Everything.

    You are right and I am wrong.

    The version (8.1) of PGP Desktop source code I downloaded last year did not
    have PGP Wholedisk. I downloaded PGP Desktop again a few minutes ago and
    the current version (9.06) does have code for Wholedisk.

    Regards,

  2. Re: best pgp software question

    nemo_outis wrote:

    > TwistyCreek wrote in
    >

    >> I never took you for a liar, but I see I was wrong about that. You
    >> either don't have ****, or you're lying about what's there. Even the
    >> page you cited has links to full source for all versions, and the
    >> sources I DO have here includes the source for their whole disk
    >> encryption. Everything.

    > You are right and I am wrong.

    Thank you. I apologize for calling you a liar, when in fact it was a
    simple mistake.

    > The version (8.1) of PGP Desktop source code I downloaded last year did
    > not have PGP Wholedisk. I downloaded PGP Desktop again a few minutes
    > ago and the current version (9.06) does have code for Wholedisk.

  3. Re: best pgp software question

  4. Re: best pgp software question

    Tom McCune wrote in news:iKc7g.24237$ZQ3.19581
    @twister.nyroc.rr.com:

    > "nemo_outis" wrote in
    >

    >> The version (8.1) of PGP Desktop source code I downloaded last year did
    >> not have PGP Wholedisk. I downloaded PGP Desktop again a few minutes
    >> ago and the current version (9.06) does have code for Wholedisk.

    > The reason that WDE was not included in the PGP 8.1 source code, is that
    > WDE was not a PGP component until PGP 9.x.

    That explain matters - thanks.

  5. Re: best pgp software question

    nemo_outis wrote:

    > Tom McCune wrote in
    > news:iKc7g.24237$ZQ3.19581 @twister.nyroc.rr.com:

    >> "nemo_outis" wrote in
    >>

    >>> The version (8.1) of PGP Desktop source code I downloaded last year did
    >>> not have PGP Wholedisk. I downloaded PGP Desktop again a few minutes
    >>> ago and the current version (9.06) does have code for Wholedisk.

    >> The reason that WDE was not included in the PGP 8.1 source code, is that
    >> WDE was not a PGP component until PGP 9.x.

    > That explain matters - thanks.

    Sure does. It shows everyone reading these groups what a lot of us already
    know. You're a pompous loudmouth whose entire life consists of leafing
    through a thesaurus, waiving your arms around, and calling people names
    when you haven't got a single clue what you're talking about.

    Hows that over inflated ego of yours feel right about now, "numbnuts"?

  6. Re: best pgp software question

    charlie kroeger wrote:

    > 05/06/2006
    > jennifer1988 wrote:
    >
    > >> Which passphrase?

    > The one you're going to make up dear.

    Ok. My fault. I wondered if you knew a passphrase I was using. It
    sounded like that to me.

    > You're passphrase is
    > everything you don't want it to be the weak part of your secure
    > storage..see this interesting site on passphrases:
    >
    > http://world.std.com/~reinhold/diceware.html

    Thanks.

    > Also..Bruce Schneier did this free program a few years ago that is
    > now being maintained by someone but it's called 'passwordsafe' and
    > it will generate you one as long or as convoluted as you wish.
    >
    > http://www.schneier.com/passsafe.html

    Thanks.

    > Get the latest 2x version on the sourceforge page there's a link on
    > the above url. There is actually a Linux version of this not as
    > fancy called 'MyPasswordSafe' but allows one to use the same
    > encrypted files created on windows as linux..way to go Nolan Eakins
    > and the Open Source movement.

    Ok. What I worry about though is hardware or spyware that records or
    hears keystrokes. That seems to me hard to guard against.

    > >> Is there an advantage to using it with linux?

    > No..this software would only run on windows..the OS you're using.
    > (with the exception of passwordsafe mentioned above)
    >
    > If you wanted to use Linux..and that's a whole new universe..you
    > would probably keep to GnuPG the open source version of PGP. the
    > version open to scrutiny by the good will hunters of the world so it
    > remains without backdoors.

    Ok. But is it possible that the NSA has a highly advanced supercomputer
    that no one knows about that has cracked PGP and has a backdoor? Or
    maybe the NSA has a secret satellite that can hear the keystrokes of
    everyone?

    > > Where can you get 'hide files'?

    > You could always do a search nothing ever leaves the Internet. If
    > you can't find it.. I have it and will send you the executable..(in
    > a zip file)

    Please send them to me. I looked and looked and couldn't find them.

    > Peace,
    >
    > C.K

    Thanks.
    Peace, sadly - probably not possible today,
    Jennifer

  7. Re: best pgp software question

    David E. Ross wrote:
    > jennifer1988 wrote:
    > > I apologize for this very basic question. I have a number of files that
    > > I want to encrypt with pgp. They are letters, legal documents and other
    > > similar files that I don't want anyone to see. I'm looking for a
    > > software package to buy. Something free is good too if it does what I
    > > want. I have many folders and many files. I could take all the files in
    > > a folder, put them in a zip file and then encrypt the zip file. Or, I
    > > might want to encrypt each file individually. Is there a software
    > > package that will take 100 or so files and encrypt each one of them
    > > individually with a few strokes by me? What software is best?
    > >
    > > I went to:
    > >
    > > http://www1.pgpstore.com/product.htm...currencies=USD
    > >
    > > and looked at:
    > >
    > > PGP Desktop Home 9.0
    > >
    > > This is the link:
    > >
    > > http://www1.pgpstore.com/product.htm...currencies=USD
    > >
    > > It costs 99 dollars. Would anyone recommend that one or not? Is there
    > > one better? Is there one cheaper?
    > >
    > > Please help.
    > >
    > > Jennifer
    > >

    > I believe that PGP is available as freeware for personal, non-commercial
    > use. If you can't find a free version at the PGP, Inc. Web site, check
    > the links at my .
    >
    > Followup set to comp.security.pgp.discuss.

    Thanks.

    > --
    >
    > David E. Ross
    >

    > Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
    > into your E-mail? Use PGP.
    > See my

  8. Re: best pgp software question

    TwistyCreek wrote:
    > nemo_outis wrote:
    >
    > > Tom McCune wrote in
    > > news:iKc7g.24237$ZQ3.19581 @twister.nyroc.rr.com:

    > >> "nemo_outis" wrote in

    > >> The reason that WDE was not included in the PGP 8.1 source code, is that
    > >> WDE was not a PGP component until PGP 9.x.

    > > That explain matters - thanks.

    > Sure does. It shows everyone reading these groups what a lot of us already
    > know. You're a pompous loudmouth whose entire life consists of leafing
    > through a thesaurus, waiving your arms around, and calling people names
    > when you haven't got a single clue what you're talking about.
    >
    > Hows that over inflated ego of yours feel right about now, "numbnuts"?

    Thanks for all the information.
    I too am afraid of anything that's closed sourced. But, I also wonder
    if the NSA has
    a supercomputer no one knows about that has cracked PGP. And I wonder
    if the NSA has a secret satellite that can hear everyone's keystrokes.
    Maybe it would be safe to try and use PGP in a deep underground cave.
    Jennifer

  9. Re: best pgp software question

    Dave wrote:
    > Depends what you want. I have been using axcrypt for a couple of years for personal documents, it's
    > open source, and fits on a thumb drive. It's not PGP, but offers AES encryption for individual files (also
    > does directories of files) and allows you to either lock them with a password, a key file, or both.
    >
    > http://axcrypt.axantum.com/

    Thanks. Is AES as good as PGP?

    > "David E. Ross" wrote in
    >
    > > jennifer1988 wrote:
    > >> I apologize for this very basic question. I have a number of files that
    > >> I want to encrypt with pgp. They are letters, legal documents and other
    > >> similar files that I don't want anyone to see. I'm looking for a
    > >> software package to buy. Something free is good too if it does what I
    > >> want. I have many folders and many files. I could take all the files in
    > >> a folder, put them in a zip file and then encrypt the zip file. Or, I
    > >> might want to encrypt each file individually. Is there a software
    > >> package that will take 100 or so files and encrypt each one of them
    > >> individually with a few strokes by me? What software is best?
    > >>
    > >> I went to:
    > >>
    > >> http://www1.pgpstore.com/product.htm...currencies=USD
    > >>
    > >> and looked at:
    > >>
    > >> PGP Desktop Home 9.0
    > >>
    > >> This is the link:
    > >>
    > >> http://www1.pgpstore.com/product.htm...sessionid=3816
    > >> 37284&random=afc3c8595062196d98ecc03ba24e9ff2&currencies=USD
    > >>
    > >> It costs 99 dollars. Would anyone recommend that one or not? Is there
    > >> one better? Is there one cheaper?
    > >>
    > >> Please help.
    > >>
    > >> Jennifer
    > >>

    > > I believe that PGP is available as freeware for personal, non-commercial
    > > use. If you can't find a free version at the PGP, Inc. Web site, check
    > > the links at my .
    > >
    > > Followup set to comp.security.pgp.discuss.

  10. Re: best pgp software question

    jennifer1988 wrote:

    > Thanks for all the information.
    > I too am afraid of anything that's closed sourced. But, I also wonder
    > if the NSA has
    > a supercomputer no one knows about that has cracked PGP. And I wonder
    > if the NSA has a secret satellite that can hear everyone's keystrokes.
    > Maybe it would be safe to try and use PGP in a deep underground cave.

    I wouldn't.

    Most of them are bugged.

    Notan

  11. Re: best pgp software question

    Notan wrote:
    > jennifer1988 wrote:
    > >

    > > Thanks for all the information.
    > > I too am afraid of anything that's closed sourced. But, I also wonder
    > > if the NSA has
    > > a supercomputer no one knows about that has cracked PGP. And I wonder
    > > if the NSA has a secret satellite that can hear everyone's keystrokes.
    > > Maybe it would be safe to try and use PGP in a deep underground cave.

    > I wouldn't.
    >
    > Most of them are bugged.

    Then where???

    > Notan

  12. Re: best pgp software question

    jennifer1988 wrote:

    > Notan wrote:
    > > jennifer1988 wrote:
    > > >

    > > > Thanks for all the information.
    > > > I too am afraid of anything that's closed sourced. But, I also wonder
    > > > if the NSA has
    > > > a supercomputer no one knows about that has cracked PGP. And I wonder
    > > > if the NSA has a secret satellite that can hear everyone's keystrokes.
    > > > Maybe it would be safe to try and use PGP in a deep underground cave.

    > > I wouldn't.
    > >
    > > Most of them are bugged.
    > >

    > Then where???

    Sorry, I'll have to defer to the posters that *claim to* know everything!

    Notan

  13. Re: best pgp software question

    05/07/2006

    jennifer1988 wrote:

    >> Ok. What I worry about though is hardware or spyware that records or
    >> hears keystrokes. That seems to me hard to guard against.

    That's a scary thing to be sure. I don't know what to tell you. For
    myself, I use Password Safe to copy directly to the clipboard some
    impossible password (all of them are in fact impossible to remember
    that's what machines are for) and then it's pasted into an
    application. Of course if you are being logged they will log your
    password to open Password Safe anyway so you're humped there too.
    It's like James Thurber said, "there's no security in numbers or
    anywhere else." Welcome to the world Wash.

    >> Ok. But is it possible that the NSA has a highly advanced supercomputer
    >> that no one knows about that has cracked PGP and has a backdoor? Or
    >> maybe the NSA has a secret satellite that can hear the keystrokes of
    >> everyone?

    Have you heard of quantum computers? I pasted this directly from the
    Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

    A quantum computer is any device for computation that makes direct
    use of distinctively quantum mechanical phenomena, such as
    superposition and entanglement, to perform operations on data. In a
    classical (or conventional) computer, the amount of data is measured
    by bits; in a quantum computer, it is measured by qubits. The basic
    principle of quantum computation is that the quantum properties of
    particles can be used to represent and structure data, and that
    quantum mechanisms can be devised and built to perform operations
    with this data.

    Experiments have been carried out in which quantum computational
    operations were executed on a very small number of qubits. Research
    in both theoretical and practical areas continues at a frantic pace,
    and many national government and military funding agencies support
    quantum computing research, to develop quantum computers for both
    civilian and national security purposes, such as cryptanalysis.

    It looks like puny algorithms and passphrases would be cracked
    before lunchtime. I also read that you're right, the sound of your
    keyboard can reveal what keys you're touching. As for secret
    satellites I bet they're up there already with names like the Cheney
    fighting module and the Bush advanced laser detecting appliance.

    >> Please send them to me. I looked and looked and couldn't find them.

    I'll make it so.

    >> Thanks.
    >> Peace, sadly - probably not possible today,
    >> Jennifer

    I'll have to dust off my windows side of the computer blow out the
    cobwebs. I will send the file in question and my off newsgroup
    address to confirm it passed through the hotmail filters.

    C.

  14. Re: best pgp software question

  15. Re: best pgp software question

  16. Re: best pgp software question

    On 5 May 2006 22:57:46 -0700, "jennifer1988"
    wrote:

    >John Wunderlich wrote:
    >> "jennifer1988" wrote in
    >> news:1146809706.745775.253190@j73g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com:
    >>
    >> > I apologize for this very basic question. I have a number of files
    >> > that I want to encrypt with pgp. They are letters, legal documents
    >> > and other similar files that I don't want anyone to see. I'm
    >> > looking for a software package to buy. Something free is good too
    >> > if it does what I want. I have many folders and many files. I
    >> > could take all the files in a folder, put them in a zip file and
    >> > then encrypt the zip file. Or, I might want to encrypt each file
    >> > individually. Is there a software package that will take 100 or so
    >> > files and encrypt each one of them individually with a few strokes
    >> > by me? What software is best?
    >> >

    >> I would recommend the (IMHO) excellent freeware "Truecrypt".
    >> It works by creating a virtual disk that exists as an encrypted
    >> container file on your compter and when given the correct password will
    >> mount as a drive on your compter. Once mounted, you have free access
    >> to read/write anything on this virtual disk until it is dismounted --
    >> at which time it reverts to an encrypted container file. Many options.
    >> Much less messy than working with encrypted zip files.
    >>
    >> The functionality is similar to "PGP Disk" at a fraction of the cost
    >> and does not depend on PGP being installed on a given system.
    >>

    >Thanks for telling me about it. How secure is it?

    Truecrypt has a good pedigree, and the designers use serious methods
    of protection based on known-good practice.

    If you choose a strong password and keep it secret the security
    offered in Truecrypt is strong (high) security.

    Do not forget to keep a copy of that password somewhere safe as if you
    forget your password, there is no way to recover the data.

    The documentation is good and they have a "Beginners Tutorial" to get
    you going.

    And Truecrypt is a free product.

    And remember that that using any combination of current or past names
    and numbers (telephone, street address, SSN, friends names, lover's
    names, children's names, pet's names, birthdays, model of car,
    favorite colors, cuss words, slang terms, or famous passages of text)
    will allow your password to be recovered in a short period of time.

    This is true for any security product, yet over 95% of people's
    passwords are derived from those very same parameters, so the large
    majority of folks are not using strong passwords.

    A good, strong password is generally hard to remember at first, and
    that is why you need to be able to refer to it, until it gets
    engrained in your memory.

    >Jennifer
    >

    >> HTH,
    >> John

  17. Re: best pgp software question

    I heard once (on a post on sci.crypt)that v9 of PGP will run for 30
    days as a full featured demo and then switches to a free ware mode (no
    disk encryption) Hope that help (HA)

    > I apologize for this very basic question. I have a number of files that
    > I want to encrypt with pgp. They are letters, legal documents and other
    > similar files that I don't want anyone to see. I'm looking for a
    > software package to buy. Something free is good too if it does what I
    > want. I have many folders and many files. I could take all the files in
    > a folder, put them in a zip file and then encrypt the zip file. Or, I
    > might want to encrypt each file individually. Is there a software
    > package that will take 100 or so files and encrypt each one of them
    > individually with a few strokes by me? What software is best?
    >
    > I went to:
    >
    > http://www1.pgpstore.com/product.htm...currencies=USD
    >
    > and looked at:
    >
    > PGP Desktop Home 9.0
    >
    > This is the link:
    >
    > http://www1.pgpstore.com/product.htm...currencies=USD
    >
    > It costs 99 dollars. Would anyone recommend that one or not? Is there
    > one better? Is there one cheaper?
    >
    > Please help.
    >
    > Jennifer

    )

  18. Re: best pgp software question

    jennifer1988 wrote:

    > Thanks for all the information.
    > I too am afraid of anything that's closed sourced.

    Why would you feel fear? Closed source encryption algorithms and
    applications just aren't as trustworthy. Peer review is essential for
    algorithms and highly desirable for applications using well reviewed
    algorithms, but it's not any sort of guarantee.

    > But, I also wonder if
    > the NSA has
    > a supercomputer no one knows about that has cracked PGP.

    You're either worrying way to much about information isn't that important,
    or way to little about "State Secret" caliber data. In which case you
    wouldn't be discussing it here, so we have to assume the former.

    What do you have, that the NSA or anyone would want to waste time
    decrypting?

    There's no such thing as absolute security in the practical world, it's
    all about risk assessment and mitigation. If you need to secure something
    you need to make an intelligent decision about how to secure it from the
    sort of attacker you're likely to encounter. If you're dealing in NSA
    level information you're already screwed the pooch by asking about it in a
    public forum. You should be using private couriers with fake passports,
    exploding briefcases, and cyanide pills.

    > And I wonder if
    > the NSA has a secret satellite that can hear everyone's keystrokes.

    Why would the need a satellite? It's much more cost effective to sit
    across the street in a van.

    > Maybe
    > it would be safe to try and use PGP in a deep underground cave. Jennifer

    Maybe the cave doesn't matter. Your biggest threat is during transmission,
    and more importantly, your own recklessness in divulging the very
    existence of your cave hideout.

    Strike two......

  19. Re: best pgp software question

    jennifer1988 wrote:
    > Dave wrote:
    >> Depends what you want. I have been using axcrypt for a couple of years for personal documents, it's
    >> open source, and fits on a thumb drive. It's not PGP, but offers AES encryption for individual files (also
    >> does directories of files) and allows you to either lock them with a password, a key file, or both.
    >>
    >> http://axcrypt.axantum.com/
    >>

    > Thanks. Is AES as good as PGP?

    AES by itself is a symmetric encryptor. That means anyone with the key
    can decrypt what was encrypted.

    If you wish to encrypt a message or file and send it to someone else,
    you need either an asymmetric encryptor (e.g., PGP or GPG) or software
    that wraps the AES key with a passphrase (a PGP self-decrypting file or
    supposedly Axcrypt). Then, that other person needs the corresponding
    software.

    You might read my , which
    explains single-key (symmetric) encryption and public-key/private-key
    (asymmetric) encryption. There, you will see that PGP uses symmetric
    encryption to encrypt your message or file and then asymmetric
    encryption to protect the symmetric key, packaging the two together.

    --

    David E. Ross

    Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
    into your E-mail? Use PGP.
    See my

  20. Re: best pgp software question

    "TwistyCreek" wrote in message
    > jennifer1988 wrote:
    >
    >> (admins) privacyoffshore wrote:
    >>> Hello, I have a couple of free ones on our site you might be interested
    >>> in, maxcrypt will do what you want, and if you decide at some point you
    >>> want full disk encryption, have a look at compusec,
    >>>

    >> Thanks. Is compusec better than PGP Desktop Home 9.0?

    > Not even close. Compusec is a closed source, unknown quality and untested
    > implementation of a single algorithm that was recommended to you by a
    > known liar. HINT: Privacyoffshore.net isn't "off shore" at all.

    The only "liar" here that says everyone else is one is you, go play troll
    somewhere else.