Need simpler encryption program than PGP - PGP

This is a discussion on Need simpler encryption program than PGP - PGP ; Thanks to everyone for the info on PGP. I'm really only interested in hitting one button to encrypt files on my hard drive with certain extensions that I can pick (e.g., DOC, XLS, etc.) on my computer easily -- like ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. Need simpler encryption program than PGP

    Thanks to everyone for the info on PGP. I'm really only interested in
    hitting one button to encrypt files on my hard drive with certain extensions
    that I can pick (e.g., DOC, XLS, etc.) on my computer easily -- like
    clicking one button.

    What I'm looking for is a program under $50 that I can...

    1 - Install (Windows 98SE.)
    2 - Select which drives, folders or files to encrypt.
    3 - Hit one button.

    That's all -- I'm not interested in encrypting email, etc.

    Here's a simple menu system that I can visualize....

    Select the drives where files to be encrypted are location.
    • c
    • d
    • e
    • f

    Select the file extension types to be encrypted:
    • DOC
    • XLS
    • All data files
    • Other. Enter extensions: __________

    Encryption procedure:
    • Encrypt all automatically
    • Allow me to select each file

    Automatically delete original file:
    • Yes
    • No

    Can anyone suggest such a program? PGP may be fine, but I'm not really
    interested in becoming one with a program - just using it from time to time.

    Thanks.

    Fred

  2. Re: Need simpler encryption program than PGP

    Fred wrote:
    > Thanks to everyone for the info on PGP. I'm really only interested in
    > hitting one button to encrypt files on my hard drive with certain extensions
    > that I can pick (e.g., DOC, XLS, etc.) on my computer easily -- like
    > clicking one button.

    What's your problem about simply batch-scripting GnuPG?

  3. Re: Need simpler encryption program than PGP

    "Fred" wrote in
    newsESZf.1070$7Z6.723@trnddc06:

    > Thanks to everyone for the info on PGP. I'm really only
    > interested in hitting one button to encrypt files on my hard
    > drive with certain extensions that I can pick (e.g., DOC, XLS,
    > etc.) on my computer easily -- like clicking one button.

    AFAIK there is no such program. You can try Axcrypt:

    http://axcrypt.axantum.com/

    "Features

    The following are features that really set it apart from all other
    file encryption tools, commercial as well as free:

    * Double-click to edit/view with any application.
    * Automatic re-encryption after modification.
    * Absolutely no user configuration necessary or possible
    before use. * Open source under GNU General Public License.
    * 7 languages in one executable distribution.
    * Extensive command-line interface for scripting and
    programming.

    Other features include:

    * Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2K/XP compatible.
    * AES encryption with 128-bit keys.
    * Edit an encrypted document directly with double-click.
    * Optional pass phrase cache - type pass phrases once per
    logon and/or reboot. * Automatic pass phrase validation before
    decryption or editing. * Key-File generation and support.
    * No options or user interface - easy to install and use.
    * Relatively light-weight, less than 1Mb download
    * Extensive command-line interface.
    * Server mode options.
    * Huge file support > 4GB (on Windows NT/2K/XP).
    * Dynamic brute force counter measure - iterative key
    wrapping. * Integrates well with web based file sharing
    services. * Selective compression before encryption - faster
    downloads/uploads. * Retains original file name and
    information of an encrypted file. * Integrated shredder.
    * Shredding of all temporary and encrypted plaintext files.
    * Secure memory handling - no keys or data in the paging file.
    * Industry standard algorithms.
    * Data integrity verification - no undetected modification.
    * Unique data encryption keys used for every file and
    (re-)encryption. * Polyglot - currently speaks English,
    German, French, Spanish, Italian, Hungarian and Swedish. *
    Easy to add more languages - contact me (I'm especially
    looking for Nordic languages)! * Open source - no backdoors.
    * Private branding support for commercial or corporate
    versions. * It's FREE! "

    IMHO TrueCrypt is better for this, just drop everything in a
    single container.

    Regards,
    cypher

  4. Re: Need simpler encryption program than PGP

    Sounds like it might be good but I'm not familiar with it. And, like I say,
    I don't want to spend 4 weeks reading documentation and learning code. I'm
    not a programmer. Just want something simple to encrypt a certain file or
    folder on my hard drive.

    "Sebastian Gottschalk" wrote in message
    > Fred wrote:
    > > Thanks to everyone for the info on PGP. I'm really only interested in
    > > hitting one button to encrypt files on my hard drive with certain

    extensions
    > > that I can pick (e.g., DOC, XLS, etc.) on my computer easily -- like
    > > clicking one button.

    > What's your problem about simply batch-scripting GnuPG?

  5. Re: Need simpler encryption program than PGP

    Thanks, Cypher. Is there a website for TrueCrypt?

    Fred

    "cypher" wrote in message

    > "Fred" wrote in
    > newsESZf.1070$7Z6.723@trnddc06:
    >
    > > Thanks to everyone for the info on PGP. I'm really only
    > > interested in hitting one button to encrypt files on my hard
    > > drive with certain extensions that I can pick (e.g., DOC, XLS,
    > > etc.) on my computer easily -- like clicking one button.

    > AFAIK there is no such program. You can try Axcrypt:
    >
    > http://axcrypt.axantum.com/
    >
    > "Features
    >
    > The following are features that really set it apart from all other
    > file encryption tools, commercial as well as free:
    >
    > * Double-click to edit/view with any application.
    > * Automatic re-encryption after modification.
    > * Absolutely no user configuration necessary or possible
    > before use. * Open source under GNU General Public License.
    > * 7 languages in one executable distribution.
    > * Extensive command-line interface for scripting and
    > programming.
    >
    > Other features include:
    >
    > * Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2K/XP compatible.
    > * AES encryption with 128-bit keys.
    > * Edit an encrypted document directly with double-click.
    > * Optional pass phrase cache - type pass phrases once per
    > logon and/or reboot. * Automatic pass phrase validation before
    > decryption or editing. * Key-File generation and support.
    > * No options or user interface - easy to install and use.
    > * Relatively light-weight, less than 1Mb download
    > * Extensive command-line interface.
    > * Server mode options.
    > * Huge file support > 4GB (on Windows NT/2K/XP).
    > * Dynamic brute force counter measure - iterative key
    > wrapping. * Integrates well with web based file sharing
    > services. * Selective compression before encryption - faster
    > downloads/uploads. * Retains original file name and
    > information of an encrypted file. * Integrated shredder.
    > * Shredding of all temporary and encrypted plaintext files.
    > * Secure memory handling - no keys or data in the paging file.
    > * Industry standard algorithms.
    > * Data integrity verification - no undetected modification.
    > * Unique data encryption keys used for every file and
    > (re-)encryption. * Polyglot - currently speaks English,
    > German, French, Spanish, Italian, Hungarian and Swedish. *
    > Easy to add more languages - contact me (I'm especially
    > looking for Nordic languages)! * Open source - no backdoors.
    > * Private branding support for commercial or corporate
    > versions. * It's FREE! "
    >
    > IMHO TrueCrypt is better for this, just drop everything in a
    > single container.
    >
    > Regards,
    > cypher

  6. Re: Need simpler encryption program than PGP

    Fred wrote:
    > 1 - Install (Windows 98SE.)
    > 2 - Select which drives, folders or files to encrypt.
    > 3 - Hit one button.

    Also, you need to WIPE the plaintext versions off the hdd. Otherwise
    encrypting files is useless, since deleted plaintext versions can be
    recovered very easily.

    --
    My computer security & privacy related homepage
    http://www.markusjansson.net

  7. Re: Need simpler encryption program than PGP

    Fred wrote:
    > Sounds like it might be good but I'm not familiar with it. And, like I say,
    > I don't want to spend 4 weeks reading documentation and learning code. I'm
    > not a programmer. Just want something simple to encrypt a certain file or
    > folder on my hard drive.

    Eh?

    set /p files=Files:
    for /r %%i in (%files%) do (echo gpg -e "%%i" & if exist "%%i.gpg" del
    "%%i")

    And please http://learn.to/quote

  8. Re: Need simpler encryption program than PGP

    Fred wrote:

    > Can anyone suggest such a program? PGP may be fine, but I'm not really
    > interested in becoming one with a program - just using it from time to time.

    I'd just use a recent version of Winzip, one that supports AES. Create
    encrypted archives, bingo.

  9. Re: Need simpler encryption program than PGP

    Simon H. Garlick wrote:

    > I'd just use a recent version of Winzip, one that supports AES. Create
    > encrypted archives, bingo.

    And which software beside WinZip supports such non-standard archives?

  10. Re: Need simpler encryption program than PGP

    "Sebastian Gottschalk" skrev i melding
    > Fred wrote:
    >> Sounds like it might be good but I'm not familiar with it. And, like I
    >> say,
    >> I don't want to spend 4 weeks reading documentation and learning code.
    >> I'm
    >> not a programmer. Just want something simple to encrypt a certain file
    >> or
    >> folder on my hard drive.

    > Eh?
    >
    > set /p files=Files:

    set /p will not work with windows 98se. It's only supported from Windows
    2000 and onwards.

    > for /r %%i in (%files%) do (echo gpg -e "%%i" & if exist "%%i.gpg" del
    > "%%i")

    Unless you set the key to encrypt to in the conf-file gpg -e will ask for
    the identification of the key for each file.

    My suggestion is a free piece of software:
    http://www.scramdisk.clara.net/

    Create a virtual drive and keep all your folders and files that contain data
    for encryption on it. It couldn't be simpler, just log on and log off.
    You'll never come in a situation where you've forgotten hit the button to
    encrypt the files. When you log off or switches off the data securily stored
    inside the virtual drive file.

  11. Re: Need simpler encryption program than PGP

    Fred writes:

    > Thanks to everyone for the info on PGP. I'm really only interested in
    > hitting one button to encrypt files on my hard drive with certain extensions
    > that I can pick (e.g., DOC, XLS, etc.) on my computer easily -- like
    > clicking one button.

    No useful encryption program requires hitting only one button, because
    the security of encryption depends upon secret information that must
    not be stored on the computer, and you must provide this information
    each time you encrypt. If you don't do that, there's no point in
    encrypting.

    > What I'm looking for is a program under $50 that I can...
    >
    > 1 - Install (Windows 98SE.)
    > 2 - Select which drives, folders or files to encrypt.
    > 3 - Hit one button.
    >
    > That's all -- I'm not interested in encrypting email, etc.

    If you can encrypt with just one button, anyone else can decrypt with
    just one button, too. Such a system is completely insecure.

    > Here's a simple menu system that I can visualize....
    >
    > Select the drives where files to be encrypted are location.
    > • c
    > • d
    > • e
    > • f
    >
    > Select the file extension types to be encrypted:
    > • DOC
    > • XLS
    > • All data files
    > • Other. Enter extensions: __________
    >
    > Encryption procedure:
    > • Encrypt all automatically
    > • Allow me to select each file
    >
    > Automatically delete original file:
    > • Yes
    > • No
    >
    > Can anyone suggest such a program?

    There areny't any reputable programs that work this way. Encryption
    always requires that you provide some sort of secret information (a
    password, a pass phrase, a secure smart card or USB key, etc.) at the
    time of encryption and decryption. The secret information cannot be
    stored on the computer itself.

  12. Re: Need simpler encryption program than PGP

    Thanks, Sebastian. But I'm not a programmer. I have no idea what that
    means.

    "Sebastian Gottschalk" wrote in message
    > Fred wrote:
    > > Sounds like it might be good but I'm not familiar with it. And, like I

    say,
    > > I don't want to spend 4 weeks reading documentation and learning code.

    I'm
    > > not a programmer. Just want something simple to encrypt a certain file

    or
    > > folder on my hard drive.

    > Eh?
    >
    > set /p files=Files:
    > for /r %%i in (%files%) do (echo gpg -e "%%i" & if exist "%%i.gpg" del
    > "%%i")
    >
    > And please http://learn.to/quote

  13. Re: Need simpler encryption program than PGP

    Thanks, AB. Will give it a try.

    Fred

    "Arild Bjørk" wrote in message
    newsa6dnYXBF8jVk6TZRVnzvA@telenor.com...
    > "Sebastian Gottschalk" skrev i melding
    > > Fred wrote:
    > >> Sounds like it might be good but I'm not familiar with it. And, like I
    > >> say,
    > >> I don't want to spend 4 weeks reading documentation and learning code.
    > >> I'm
    > >> not a programmer. Just want something simple to encrypt a certain file
    > >> or
    > >> folder on my hard drive.

    > > Eh?
    > >
    > > set /p files=Files:

    > set /p will not work with windows 98se. It's only supported from Windows
    > 2000 and onwards.
    >
    > > for /r %%i in (%files%) do (echo gpg -e "%%i" & if exist "%%i.gpg" del
    > > "%%i")

    > Unless you set the key to encrypt to in the conf-file gpg -e will ask for
    > the identification of the key for each file.
    >
    > My suggestion is a free piece of software:
    > http://www.scramdisk.clara.net/
    >
    > Create a virtual drive and keep all your folders and files that contain

    data
    > for encryption on it. It couldn't be simpler, just log on and log off.
    > You'll never come in a situation where you've forgotten hit the button to
    > encrypt the files. When you log off or switches off the data securily

    stored
    > inside the virtual drive file.

  14. Re: Need simpler encryption program than PGP

    Yes, I left that out....

    > > 1 - Install (Windows 98SE.)
    > > 2 - Select which drives, folders or files to encrypt.

    2a - Enter password

    "Mxsmanic" wrote in message
    > Fred writes:
    >
    > > Thanks to everyone for the info on PGP. I'm really only interested in
    > > hitting one button to encrypt files on my hard drive with certain

    extensions
    > > that I can pick (e.g., DOC, XLS, etc.) on my computer easily -- like
    > > clicking one button.

    > No useful encryption program requires hitting only one button, because
    > the security of encryption depends upon secret information that must
    > not be stored on the computer, and you must provide this information
    > each time you encrypt. If you don't do that, there's no point in
    > encrypting.
    >
    > > What I'm looking for is a program under $50 that I can...
    > >
    > > 1 - Install (Windows 98SE.)
    > > 2 - Select which drives, folders or files to encrypt.
    > > 3 - Hit one button.
    > >
    > > That's all -- I'm not interested in encrypting email, etc.

    > If you can encrypt with just one button, anyone else can decrypt with
    > just one button, too. Such a system is completely insecure.
    >
    > > Here's a simple menu system that I can visualize....
    > >
    > > Select the drives where files to be encrypted are location.
    > > . c
    > > . d
    > > . e
    > > . f
    > >
    > > Select the file extension types to be encrypted:
    > > . DOC
    > > . XLS
    > > . All data files
    > > . Other. Enter extensions: __________
    > >
    > > Encryption procedure:
    > > . Encrypt all automatically
    > > . Allow me to select each file
    > >
    > > Automatically delete original file:
    > > . Yes
    > > . No
    > >
    > > Can anyone suggest such a program?

    > There areny't any reputable programs that work this way. Encryption
    > always requires that you provide some sort of secret information (a
    > password, a pass phrase, a secure smart card or USB key, etc.) at the
    > time of encryption and decryption. The secret information cannot be
    > stored on the computer itself.
    >
    > --
    > Transpose mxsmanic and gmail to reach me by e-mail.

  15. Re: Need simpler encryption program than PGP

    Dumb question - I clicked on DLOAD. Clicking on PGP Sign or the download
    sites gives a blank screen.

    "Arild Bjørk" wrote in message
    newsa6dnYXBF8jVk6TZRVnzvA@telenor.com...

    > My suggestion is a free piece of software:
    > http://www.scramdisk.clara.net/
    >
    > Create a virtual drive and keep all your folders and files that contain

    data
    > for encryption on it. It couldn't be simpler, just log on and log off.
    > You'll never come in a situation where you've forgotten hit the button to
    > encrypt the files. When you log off or switches off the data securily

    stored
    > inside the virtual drive file.

  16. Re: Need simpler encryption program than PGP

    Sebastian Gottschalk writes:

    > And which software beside WinZip supports such non-standard archives?

    Why does an encrypted archive have to be "standard"?

  17. Re: Need simpler encryption program than PGP

    Mxsmanic wrote:
    > Sebastian Gottschalk writes:
    >
    >> And which software beside WinZip supports such non-standard archives?

    > Why does an encrypted archive have to be "standard"?

    Well, if you don't care for possibly not being able to read your data
    after ten years...

  18. Re: Need simpler encryption program than PGP

    Sebastian Gottschalk writes:

    > Well, if you don't care for possibly not being able to read your data
    > after ten years...

    As long as you have the software that created the archive, you can
    read it.

  19. Re: Need simpler encryption program than PGP

    Mxsmanic wrote:

    >> Well, if you don't care for possibly not being able to read your data
    >> after ten years...

    > As long as you have the software that created the archive, you can
    > read it.

    And the hardware on which this software runs.

  20. Re: Need simpler encryption program than PGP

    Mxsmanic writes:

    >Sebastian Gottschalk writes:

    >> Well, if you don't care for possibly not being able to read your data
    >> after ten years...

    >As long as you have the software that created the archive, you can
    >read it.

    Not if you forget the password. And after 10 years or non-use, you will not
    be able to remember it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast