Need simpler encryption program than PGP - PGP

This is a discussion on Need simpler encryption program than PGP - PGP ; Sebastian Gottschalk writes: > And the hardware on which this software runs. The hardware will still exist. -- Transpose mxsmanic and gmail to reach me by e-mail....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

  1. Re: Need simpler encryption program than PGP

    Sebastian Gottschalk writes:

    > And the hardware on which this software runs.

    The hardware will still exist.

  2. Re: Need simpler encryption program than PGP

    Mxsmanic wrote:
    > Sebastian Gottschalk writes:
    >
    >> And the hardware on which this software runs.

    > The hardware will still exist.

    TCG, ollywoo and the time (damaging old computers) are against you.
    And guess what? Your old Winzip will not run on Windows Vista III
    anymore, your Win98 won't run on the new hardware any more.

  3. Re: Need simpler encryption program than PGP

    Unruh wrote:

    > Not if you forget the password. And after 10 years or non-use, you will not
    > be able to remember it.

    For WinZip's implementation this shouldn't be a problem :-)

  4. Re: Need simpler encryption program than PGP

    Sebastian Gottschalk writes:

    > TCG, ollywoo and the time (damaging old computers) are against you.
    > And guess what? Your old Winzip will not run on Windows Vista III
    > anymore, your Win98 won't run on the new hardware any more.

    There will be plenty of old but operable computers to run old
    software. And Windows today still runs most software from twenty
    years ago; backward compatibility has always been a priority for
    Windows operating systems, and I expect this to continue.

  5. DigiSecret

    have a look st DigiSecret

    http://tamos.com/products/digisecret/

    Fred wrote:
    | Yes, I left that out....
    |
    |>> 1 - Install (Windows 98SE.)
    |>> 2 - Select which drives, folders or files to encrypt.
    | 2a - Enter password
    |>> 3 - Hit one button.
    |

    | "Mxsmanic" wrote in message
    |> Fred writes:
    |>
    |>> Thanks to everyone for the info on PGP. I'm really only interested in
    |>> hitting one button to encrypt files on my hard drive with certain
    | extensions
    |>> that I can pick (e.g., DOC, XLS, etc.) on my computer easily -- like
    |>> clicking one button.
    |> No useful encryption program requires hitting only one button, because
    |> the security of encryption depends upon secret information that must
    |> not be stored on the computer, and you must provide this information
    |> each time you encrypt. If you don't do that, there's no point in
    |> encrypting.
    |>
    |>> What I'm looking for is a program under $50 that I can...
    |>>
    |>> 1 - Install (Windows 98SE.)
    |>> 2 - Select which drives, folders or files to encrypt.
    |>> 3 - Hit one button.
    |>>
    |>> That's all -- I'm not interested in encrypting email, etc.
    |> If you can encrypt with just one button, anyone else can decrypt with
    |> just one button, too. Such a system is completely insecure.
    |>
    |>> Here's a simple menu system that I can visualize....
    |>>
    |>> Select the drives where files to be encrypted are location.
    |>> . c
    |>> . d
    |>> . e
    |>> . f
    |>>
    |>> Select the file extension types to be encrypted:
    |>> . DOC
    |>> . XLS
    |>> . All data files
    |>> . Other. Enter extensions: __________
    |>>
    |>> Encryption procedure:
    |>> . Encrypt all automatically
    |>> . Allow me to select each file
    |>>
    |>> Automatically delete original file:
    |>> . Yes
    |>> . No
    |>>
    |>> Can anyone suggest such a program?
    |> There areny't any reputable programs that work this way. Encryption
    |> always requires that you provide some sort of secret information (a
    |> password, a pass phrase, a secure smart card or USB key, etc.) at the
    |> time of encryption and decryption. The secret information cannot be
    |> stored on the computer itself.
    |>
    |> --
    |> Transpose mxsmanic and gmail to reach me by e-mail.

  6. Re: Need simpler encryption program than PGP

    Didn't check the links, but here is 2.02h:
    http://yahoo.pcworld.com/downloads/f...id,6394,00.asp

    "Fred" skrev i melding
    > Dumb question - I clicked on DLOAD. Clicking on PGP Sign or the download
    > sites gives a blank screen.

  7. Re: Need simpler encryption program than PGP

    Sebastian Gottschalk writes:

    > And which software beside WinZip supports such non-standard archives?

    All this argument about what software will still be running in 10 years
    is unnecessary, because, although WinZip itself is closed source, the
    AES format they use has been published in detail here:
    http://www.winzip.com/aes_info.htm
    and is already supported by at least three other (commercial)
    zip-compatible archiving applications (DynaZip, PKWare, and
    PowerArchiver). (At least two others claim AES encryption and WinZip
    9.0 compatibility, but the wording is not 100% clear if they mean
    WinZip 9.0 AES compatibility.) The open source zip-compatible archiver,
    7-Zip, does not support this format yet but has it as a feature
    request, maybe it will soon. There are also software libraries
    available that support it.

    So the format is not much more likely to fall into desuetude than any
    other encryption format.

  8. Re: Need simpler encryption program than PGP

    On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, "Arild Bjørk" wrote:
    >Didn't check the links, but here is 2.02h:
    >http://yahoo.pcworld.com/downloads/f...id,6394,00.asp
    >
    >"Fred" skrev i melding
    >> Dumb question - I clicked on DLOAD. Clicking on PGP Sign or the download
    >> sites gives a blank screen.

    http://www.samsimpson.com/cryptography/scramdisk/

    Has links to truecrypt, crosscrypt, e4m, and scramdisk for linux.

    -=-
    This message was sent via two or more anonymous remailing services.

  9. Re: Need simpler encryption program than PGP

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2