Is there a way to tell PGP to stop looking for a service upon Windows bootup? - PGP

This is a discussion on Is there a way to tell PGP to stop looking for a service upon Windows bootup? - PGP ; How can we eliminate the need to always run the PDK SDK service? 0- I only use PGP once a month or so to wipe my free & slack space. Windows XP SP2, PGP® 8.1.0 for Windows 1- Like almost ...

  1. Is there a way to tell PGP to stop looking for a service upon Windows bootup?

    How can we eliminate the need to always run the PDK SDK service?

    0- I only use PGP once a month or so to wipe my free & slack space.
    Windows XP SP2, PGP® 8.1.0 for Windows

    1- Like almost everyone on WinXP, I turn all unnecessary services off:
    c:\> net stop PGPserv

    2- One of those unnecessary WinXP services (for me anyway) was:
    PGPserv C:\WINDOWS\system32\PGPserv.exe

    3- Once a month, I manually run PGP to wipe my freespace & slack space:
    So, I simply manually START the PGPserv service before running PGP:
    c:\> net start PGPserv

    4- This is all well & good as the PGPserv service doesn't hog
    resources except for the one time per month I actually use PGP.

    5- However, every time I boot WinXP I get the PGP error:
    Cannot establish connection with the PGP SDK service

    6- This is unfortunate because there is no need to run the PGP
    services since I don't use PGP except once a month or so.

    7- Hence, my questions:
    a) WHY does PGP even try to connect to a service (PGPserv)?
    b) HOW can we turn off this need to connect to a service?

    I understand this isn't a 'normal' PGP question.
    I had googled and didn't find anyone asking this.

    Is there a way to tell PGP to stop looking for a service upon bootup?

  2. Re: Is there a way to tell PGP to stop looking for a service upon Windows bootup?

    > PGP Error: Cannot establish connection with the PGP SDK service
    > How can we eliminate the need to always run the PDK SDK service?
    > Is there a way to tell PGP to stop looking for a service upon bootup?

    I should clarify that I boot Windows XP every day but I only use PGP 8.0.1
    once a month so I have the PGPserv service manually turned off by default
    (by using services.msc to set the PGPserv to MANUAL).

    I should also note that the pgp error I get about not being able to
    establish a connection with the PGP SDK service is common from my googling
    but all the articles I found were related to Windows accidentally trying to
    start PGP before the service had a chance to start. In my case, I
    purposefully turned the PGPserv off (as a waste of precious resources) so
    it's not surprising I get this error.

    My question is not WHY we get the error (obviously we get the error because
    PGP "wants" this service to be on) ... but how do I tell PGP to do NOTHING
    upon bootup.

    When I want PGP to run, I'll just manually start the PGPserv service and
    then run the PGP executable.

    How can I tell PGP to not do ANYTHING upon bootup short of uninstalling
    PGP?

  3. Re: Is there a way to tell PGP to stop looking for a service upon Windows bootup?

    In article <1tjpn429fyqbb$.mbq03q2vutqi.dlg@40tude.net>, on Wed, 05 Apr
    2006 05:05:06 GMT, Cindy Tittle Moore wrote:

    > How can I tell PGP to not do ANYTHING upon bootup short of uninstalling
    > PGP

    Try removing pgptray.exe from Start -> Programs -> Startup.

    When you want to use PGP, first start up the PGPserv service, then run
    pgptray.exe.

    --
    Seth Goodman

  4. Re: Is there a way to tell PGP to stop looking for a service upon Windows bootup?

    On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 09:04:18 -0400, Seth Goodman wrote:
    >> How can I tell PGP to not do ANYTHING upon bootup
    >> short of uninstalling PGP

    > Try removing pgptray.exe from Start -> Programs -> Startup.
    > When you want to use PGP, first start up the PGPserv service, then run
    > pgptray.exe.

    This was excellent advice, but it uncovered a severe bug in PGP Corporation
    PGP 8.1.0 for Windows which makes right clicks on folders hang forever.
    Judging from the google record, many people are frustrated by this PGP bug
    (do a search for "folder right click hangs" to see thousands of
    complaints!).

    Since I use PGP only monthly to wipe slack & free space, among other things
    bad, I had recently turned off (ie set to MANUAL) the obnoxious PGPServ
    (C:\WINDOWS\system32\PGPserv.exe PGPserv) service which manages public key
    operations between PGP modules based on astute advice from alt.security.pgp
    users.

    Turning off that wasteful PGP service elicited this error every time I
    rebooted "Cannot establish connection with the PGP SDK service" which the
    alt.security.pgp team helped me solve by removing the pgptray.exe from the
    Windows XP "Start -> Programs -> Startup" location.

    However, my folder right click hanged ever time thereafter.

    I ran the http://www.nirsoft.net NirSoft ShellExView program which reported
    that there was an orphan "PGPdisk Shell Extension"
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\PGPdiskSE.dll context menu handler still running.

    I strongly suspect that the PGP Corporation PGP 8.1.0 for Windows has a bug
    in that a context menu handler is written so poorly it can't handle its
    service being turned off (set to manual by default) and the startup items
    for it removed.

    As a proof, my folder right click finally returned the minute I uninstalled
    PGP Corporation PGP 8.1.0 for Windows!

    Oh my! I guess you get what you pay for but it sure seems bad for all those
    millions of users out there if they don't fix this eggregious bug in PGP
    soon!

    My recommendation: Don't use PGP on Windows as it will hang your folder
    right click or at least turn off this eggregious "PGPdisk Shell Extension"
    context menu and the wasteful "PGPServ" service and the error-prone
    "pgptray.exe" startup menu entry!

+ Reply to Thread