Cryptainer LE - PGP

This is a discussion on Cryptainer LE - PGP ; I would appreciate any help you gurus can dish out on this problem installing Cryptainer LE... I saw Cryptainer being promoted by earthlink and downloaded the free LE version (full version is PE). Then I installed it, but never could ...

  1. Cryptainer LE

    I would appreciate any help you gurus can dish out on this problem
    installing Cryptainer LE...

    I saw Cryptainer being promoted by earthlink and downloaded the free LE
    version (full version is PE). Then I installed it, but never could get it
    to run on my Win98SE. (Supposed to run on everything from Win95 on up.)

    After installing, I reboot, but then the installation program never resumes.
    If I try to run the program, I get this error message.....

    LOADER ERROR
    "The procedure entry point ChangeServiceConfig2A could not be located in the
    dynamic link library ADVAPI32.DLL."

    Many thanks in advance.

    Fred

  2. Re: Cryptainer LE

    Thanks, will check it out.

    "Fred" wrote in

    > I would appreciate any help you gurus can dish out on this problem
    > installing Cryptainer LE...
    >
    > I saw Cryptainer being promoted by earthlink and downloaded the free
    > LE version (full version is PE). Then I installed it, but never could
    > get it to run on my Win98SE. (Supposed to run on everything from Win95
    > on up.)
    >
    > After installing, I reboot, but then the installation program never
    > resumes. If I try to run the program, I get this error message.....
    >
    > LOADER ERROR
    > "The procedure entry point ChangeServiceConfig2A could not be located
    > in the dynamic link library ADVAPI32.DLL."
    >
    > Many thanks in advance.
    >
    > Fred

    You could thrash about getting Cryptainer to work or you could switch to
    Truecrypt which has all of Cryptainer's functionality - and lots more!

    What's more, Truecrypt is not only free but *open-source* as well.

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/truecrypt/

    and/or

    http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads.php

    Regards,

    PS For an ancient OS like Win98SE you will have to use Truecrypt 1.0

    http://rapidshare.de/files/16638001/...t_v10_v10a_v20
    _binary_source_and_signatures.zip.html

    [URL line may be split]

    Contains versions 1.0, 1.0a and 2.0 (including source code & signatures) -
    about 3 megs.

  3. Re: Cryptainer LE

    On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 07:48:24 GMT, "Fred"
    wrote:

    >I would appreciate any help you gurus can dish out on this problem
    >installing Cryptainer LE...
    >
    >I saw Cryptainer being promoted by earthlink and downloaded the free LE
    >version (full version is PE). Then I installed it, but never could get it
    >to run on my Win98SE. (Supposed to run on everything from Win95 on up.)
    >
    >After installing, I reboot, but then the installation program never resumes.
    >If I try to run the program, I get this error message.....
    >
    >LOADER ERROR
    >"The procedure entry point ChangeServiceConfig2A could not be located in the
    >dynamic link library ADVAPI32.DLL."
    >
    >Many thanks in advance.
    >
    >Fred

    In another post Truecrypt is recommended, but they weren't paying
    attention to your operating system, which is WIN98SE. This crusty old
    OS is not supported by Truecrypt. Too bad because it works well.

    If you are getting "ChangeServiceConfig2A" errors from Advapi32.dll
    then you're likely in the same boat. It appears they are using a call
    that is not supported by your OS.

    I'm not sure how they arrived at "Supposed to run on everything from
    Win95 on up." because I don't think ChangeServiceConfig2A is supported
    on less than Win2000 or XP.

    There *may* be an upgrade of Internet Explorer that will work to get
    you an advanced Advapi32.dll, but I doubt it.

    The following link will get you to a free version of a very good
    encryption program called PGP and included is a program called PGPdisk
    which does the same thing Cryptainer does:

    http://www.pgpi.org/cgi/download.cgi...eeware602i.exe

    This version 6.0.2i is probably the last version of PGP supported by
    WIN98SE that has a free version of PGPdisk. Later versions charged
    for the PGPdisk part.

    The good part is this, Fred... PGP is pretty darn well made. It is
    likely to keep your data as safe or maybe safer than Cryptainer.

    There's a couple of bugs listed here:

    http://www.pgpi.org/doc/bugs/win/

    But it will likely work OK and you'll be able to do a lot of other
    helpful secure things like send encrypted email, encrypt and decrypt
    single files and you will be able to do this using a well-known
    public/private key scheme that really works.

  4. Re: Cryptainer LE

    Thanks very much, Clark.

    While reading thru the PGP faq, I noticed this interesting statement.
    Pretty much tells me that these countries' governments are actively
    intruding into personal info. No doubt the US Dept of Fatherland Security is
    doing it also.

    Q: Is encryption legal?

    A: In much of the civilized world, the use of encryption is either legal or
    at least tolerated. However, there are a some countries where such
    activities could put you in front of a firing squad! Check with the laws in
    your own country before using PGP or any other encryption product. A couple
    of the countries where the use of encryption is illegal are France, Iran,
    Russia and Iraq.

+ Reply to Thread