Outlook Express and OpenPGP/MIME - PGP

This is a discussion on Outlook Express and OpenPGP/MIME - PGP ; Greetings. I tend to sign my outgoing mail via OpenPGP/MIME, resulting in messages with a Content-Type of multipart/signed(text/plain,application/pgp-signature). I've had reports from users of Microsoft Outlook Express that such messages are displayed as a blank e-mail with both the text/plain ...

  1. Outlook Express and OpenPGP/MIME

    Greetings.

    I tend to sign my outgoing mail via OpenPGP/MIME, resulting in messages
    with a Content-Type of
    multipart/signed(text/plain,application/pgp-signature). I've had reports
    from users of Microsoft Outlook Express that such messages are displayed
    as a blank e-mail with both the text/plain and application/pgp-signature
    parts shown as attachments.

    My questions are as follows, then:

    1) Is there some patch or simple plugin which fixes this issue to which I
    can refer these people? (Some of them refuse or are unable to switch to a
    different e-mail program such as Thunderbird.)

    2) Is there anything I can do to make my signed mails friendlier to Outlook
    Express? I have seen a report (see

    or ) that sending
    messages as
    multipart/signed(multipart/mixed(text/plain,text/plain),application/pgp-signature)
    might work. However, I don't think this option will work for me, since
    AFAIK my mail client (KMail) doesn't allow one to filter outgoing mail
    before it is signed.

    Regards,
    Tristan

    --
    _

  2. Re: Outlook Express and OpenPGP/MIME

    Tristan Miller writes:

    > Greetings.
    >
    > I tend to sign my outgoing mail via OpenPGP/MIME, resulting in messages
    > with a Content-Type of
    > multipart/signed(text/plain,application/pgp-signature). I've had reports
    > from users of Microsoft Outlook Express that such messages are displayed
    > as a blank e-mail with both the text/plain and application/pgp-signature
    > parts shown as attachments.

    Known bug in Microsoft ****ware. Prepare to get a bunch of Outlook luser
    claim that this is your problem, and not theirs.

    > My questions are as follows, then:
    >
    > 1) Is there some patch or simple plugin which fixes this issue to which I
    > can refer these people? (Some of them refuse or are unable to switch to a
    > different e-mail program such as Thunderbird.)

    Yes. Refer them to install the following patch:
    http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/

    > 2) Is there anything I can do to make my signed mails friendlier to Outlook
    > Express?

    No. Proper compatibility with non-proprietary, open Internet standards is
    not a priority for Microsoft.

  3. Re: Outlook Express and OpenPGP/MIME

  4. Re: Outlook Express and OpenPGP/MIME

    Sam wrote:
    [deleted]

    > Known bug in Microsoft ****ware. Prepare to get a bunch of Outlook luser
    > claim that this is your problem, and not theirs.

    Minor, but important nit: Note that Outlook Express is not the same as
    "Outlook". While it is quite possible, and even likely, that "Outlook"
    (i.e. any Outlook version *other* than "Express") is also broken, it
    isn't realistic to expect consistency from Microsoft, now is it? :-)

    [deleted]

  5. Re: Outlook Express and OpenPGP/MIME

+ Reply to Thread