Email programs - PGP

  2. Re: Email programs

    On 28 Sep 2005 19:41:43 +0950, Dave
    wrote:

    >Just wondering what email clients people use with GPG/PGP...

    I think that the group alt.security.pgp has more activity than this
    one, try there.

    Good luck.
    Geo

  3. Re: Email programs

    Dave wrote:

    > Just wondering what email clients people use with GPG/PGP. I use
    > Enigmail with Thunderbird, and found it to be excellent.

    Also using Thunderbird/Enigmail, but before that I used Pegasus along
    with PGP8.

    Juergen Nieveler
    --
    Well, to be Frank, I'd have to change my name

  4. Re: Email programs

  5. Re: Email programs

    Dirty Harry

  6. Re: Email programs

    On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 20:15:59 -0400, Dirty Harry wrote:

    Well, I was finally successful in fixing the proxy bug, although "fix"
    might not be the correct term. It required nothing less than uninstalling
    PGP completely and reinstalling it. The ole brute force method.

    PGP must keep an .ini file somewhere that retains the email account even if
    you delete it in the proxy section preventing it from recognizing it as a
    "new" account. Just guessing of course. Already tried deleting the
    PGPprefs.xml file but that didn't work. At any rate, such drastic
    measures should never be necessary and PGP corp is derelict for ignoring
    it.

    The entire affair could very well be a waste of time when you consider that
    there is no guarantee that the proxy won't decide to just quit again.
    Dirty Harry

  7. Re: Email programs

    On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 07:55:30 -0400, Dirty Harry wrote:

    > On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 20:15:59 -0400, Dirty Harry wrote:
    >
    > Well, I was finally successful in fixing the proxy bug, although "fix"
    > might not be the correct term. It required nothing less than uninstalling
    > PGP completely and reinstalling it. The ole brute force method.
    >
    > PGP must keep an .ini file somewhere that retains the email account even if
    > you delete it in the proxy section preventing it from recognizing it as a
    > "new" account. Just guessing of course. Already tried deleting the
    > PGPprefs.xml file but that didn't work. At any rate, such drastic
    > measures should never be necessary and PGP corp is derelict for ignoring
    > it.
    >
    > The entire affair could very well be a waste of time when you consider that
    > there is no guarantee that the proxy won't decide to just quit again.
    > Dirty Harry

    It sounds like PGP's LSP was incapacitated or removed from the stack
    somehow. The main thing that reinstallation does wrt email proxying is to
    reinstall the LSP correctly. Did the beginnings of PGP's problems coincide
    with the installation of any other software? There are software products
    out there which do not "play nice" with PGP (or other products with LSPs).

    Paul

  8. Re: Email programs

    On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 08:59:01 -0400, "Paul B. Johnson" wrote:

    >On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 07:55:30 -0400, Dirty Harry wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 20:15:59 -0400, Dirty Harry wrote:
    >>
    >> Well, I was finally successful in fixing the proxy bug, although "fix"
    >> might not be the correct term. It required nothing less than uninstalling
    >> PGP completely and reinstalling it. The ole brute force method.
    >>
    >> PGP must keep an .ini file somewhere that retains the email account even if
    >> you delete it in the proxy section preventing it from recognizing it as a
    >> "new" account. Just guessing of course. Already tried deleting the
    >> PGPprefs.xml file but that didn't work. At any rate, such drastic
    >> measures should never be necessary and PGP corp is derelict for ignoring
    >> it.
    >>
    >> The entire affair could very well be a waste of time when you consider that
    >> there is no guarantee that the proxy won't decide to just quit again.
    >> Dirty Harry

    >It sounds like PGP's LSP was incapacitated or removed from the stack
    >somehow. The main thing that reinstallation does wrt email proxying is to
    >reinstall the LSP correctly. Did the beginnings of PGP's problems coincide
    >with the installation of any other software? There are software products
    >out there which do not "play nice" with PGP (or other products with LSPs).

    What is an LSP?

    I can't recall installing any software that coincides with the email
    problem. I have recently had satallite internet service installed but the
    proxy was working fine with it for a couple of days before it died.

    I tend to agree with the idea that a file or process became corrupted
    somehow.

    thanks
    Dirty Harry

  9. Re: Email programs

    On 2005-10-29, Dirty Harry spake thusly:

    ------------------------- 8< ----------------------------

    > I am thoroughly disgusted and frustrated with v9 [of PGP] and
    > would recommend that anyone thinking of purchasing it runs it
    > through a complete check out before plunking down the bucks.
    > I'm not the only one with the same problem. The PGP user forum
    > is full of users trying to find an answer to this email proxy snafu.
    > Seems to work for some just fine and it's a complete bust for others.
    > So far PGP corp has been ignoring it.

    Frankly, I can't think of a single reason why anyone would use PGP.
    It used to be free until the author sold it to (Macafee, I think).
    GnuPG is identically functionable, legally available for use in foreign
    countries (unlike PGP), and open source (read free, and includes
    source code). A worldwide team of volunteers steered by the GNU project
    keep it constantly up to date and bug free. It is available for just about
    every platform including windows. There are many open source GUI
    shells for it that work well.

    > Curious though that there hasn't been much message traffic on this in the
    > usenet groups. Oh, another little irritation has cropped up. It takes
    > forever to launch the pgp desktop...????? My my, what will tomorrow
    > bring?

    For command line email, mutt works well, but does require some time
    to set up.

    For news readers you can use evolution (a GUI). The command
    line SLRN is the most flexible and extensible news reader
    that I have ever seen/used, and its S-LANG macro interpreter makes
    it possible to easily change everything about the way it works.

    SLRN, like Evolution, is open source and as such, free. SLRN is
    availble at:

    http://slrn.sourceforge.net/

    The SLRN macro for GnuPG, is available at:

    http://strcat.neessen.net/dotfiles/#slrn

    It's called gnupg.sl and works *very* well. detailed instructions
    are commented in the macro and it is easy to set up and use. For an
    exaple of it's implementation in SLRN's configuration file, download
    the sample config file from the macro site. Good luck,

    Mathew

+ Reply to Thread