Which antivirus software? - PGP

This is a discussion on Which antivirus software? - PGP ; My new laptop came with Norton Internet Security 2005 pre-installed. Unfortunately this seems to make PGP Disk 9.0 virtually unuseable. Encrypted disks can be mounted but they don't appear in XP explorer and they cant be dismounted. (Also it takes ...

  1. Which antivirus software?

    My new laptop came with Norton Internet Security 2005 pre-installed.
    Unfortunately this seems to make PGP Disk 9.0 virtually unuseable.
    Encrypted disks can be mounted but they don't appear in XP explorer
    and they cant be dismounted. (Also it takes up to 15 minutes to shut
    down XP).

    I've read that McAfee antivirus software isn't much better.

    Can anybody recommend an antivirus package that works well with PGP?

    Thanks,

    Richard

  2. Re: Which antivirus software?

    In message <4goei15hgmf85clgn8uod14bb8prn2l1hv@4ax.com>, Richard
    writes
    >My new laptop came with Norton Internet Security 2005 pre-installed.
    >Unfortunately this seems to make PGP Disk 9.0 virtually unuseable.
    >Encrypted disks can be mounted but they don't appear in XP explorer
    >and they cant be dismounted. (Also it takes up to 15 minutes to shut
    >down XP).
    >
    >I've read that McAfee antivirus software isn't much better.
    >
    >Can anybody recommend an antivirus package that works well with PGP?

    AVG

    --
    Regards
    Andy Hart

  3. Re: Which antivirus software?

  4. Re: Which antivirus software?

  5. Re: Which antivirus software?

    Thanks for this. I tried disabling the email scanner but the problem
    seems to be with a program called CCapp.exe. If this isn't running
    PGP works fine. However if it isn't running, I don't think Norton is
    running either so the laptop is unprotected.

    I'll try some of the other antivirus packages that have been
    recommended.

    Best wishes and thanks for the advice.

    Richard

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 01:31:50 GMT, Tom McCune
    wrote:

  6. Re: Which antivirus software?

  7. Re: Which antivirus software?

    "Bob Henson" wrote in message
    news:aKidnaFk65_f57PenZ2dnUVZ8tydnZ2d@brightview.c om...

    > Richard wrote:
    > > Thanks for this. I tried disabling the email scanner but the problem
    > > seems to be with a program called CCapp.exe. If this isn't running
    > > PGP works fine. However if it isn't running, I don't think Norton is
    > > running either so the laptop is unprotected.
    > >
    > > I'll try some of the other antivirus packages that have been
    > > recommended.
    > >

    > You're quite correct that ccapp.ex is part of Norton.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/yt5uf
    >
    > Norton is a bloated pain these days, better to be rid of it.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Bob

    Switched to Avast! myself, seems pretty solid so far and small footprint.

  8. Re: Which antivirus software?

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 00:40:37 +0100, Richard
    wrote:

    >My new laptop came with Norton Internet Security 2005 pre-installed.
    >Unfortunately this seems to make PGP Disk 9.0 virtually unuseable.
    >Encrypted disks can be mounted but they don't appear in XP explorer
    >and they cant be dismounted. (Also it takes up to 15 minutes to shut
    >down XP).
    >
    >I've read that McAfee antivirus software isn't much better.
    >
    >Can anybody recommend an antivirus package that works well with PGP?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Richard

    I'm using AVG with 9.x with no problems.

    Norton is a like an overbloated fat person sitting on a couch eating
    Doritos - you know - the kind the paramedics have to "chain saw" out
    because they have eaten themselves into the house.

    It's crap.

    I couldn't believe how much faster and better my machine ran when I
    got rid of it and the rest of the crap contained in NIS.

    Not to totally trash Norton, I use Ghost 9.x which I love. (snicker -
    it's not really a Norton product, just one they bought and slapped
    their name on it - they'll **** it up before too long).

    I'm using AVG 7.0.x by the way. Should be the most current release.

    AVG is fast - quick turnaround on creating updates to identify new
    viruses - and best of all, it's free.

    Additionally, I'm using Kerio as a adjunct firewall - mainly for
    helping to monitor what goes *out*. My real firewall is a Netgear
    ProSafe Wireless firewall that is also my router. A very tasty
    device. Sadly, it's aged and I'll have to replace it soon with
    something that supports WAP instead of WEP. Yeah, I know, it should
    be done already...

    Cheers.

  9. Re: Which antivirus software?

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 00:40:37 +0100, Richard wrote:

    >My new laptop came with Norton Internet Security 2005 pre-installed.
    >Unfortunately this seems to make PGP Disk 9.0 virtually unuseable.
    >Encrypted disks can be mounted but they don't appear in XP explorer
    >and they cant be dismounted. (Also it takes up to 15 minutes to shut
    >down XP).
    >
    >I've read that McAfee antivirus software isn't much better.
    >
    >Can anybody recommend an antivirus package that works well with PGP?

    I had similar problems with McAfee so I trashed it. Someone here in this
    NG recommended NOD32 as being the best out there. I haven't tried them all
    but it sure works much better than McAfee. Small footprint, fast and very
    uintrusive. You really don't even know it's there until it spots
    something. Coexists well with PGP as far as I can tell. It won lots of
    awards and comes highly recommended.

    http://nod32.softwaresecuritysolutions.com/

    Dirty Harry

  10. Re: Which antivirus software?

    On 2005-09-29, null spake thusly:
    > On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 00:40:37 +0100, Richard
    > wrote:
    >
    >>My new laptop came with Norton Internet Security 2005 pre-installed.
    >>Unfortunately this seems to make PGP Disk 9.0 virtually unuseable.
    >>Encrypted disks can be mounted but they don't appear in XP explorer
    >>and they cant be dismounted. (Also it takes up to 15 minutes to shut
    >>down XP).

    - --------------- 8< -----------------

    Remove all Norton products if you haven't done so yet. They are
    incompatible with many software drivers and products and vendors often
    issue warnings in their products to this effect.

    > Norton is a like an overbloated fat person sitting on a couch eating
    > Doritos - you know - the kind the paramedics have to "chain saw" out
    > because they have eaten themselves into the house.
    >
    > It's crap.

    Worse, it's dangerous do-do. It can seriously jack up your system
    and provides a false sense of security.

    > I couldn't believe how much faster and better my machine ran when I
    > got rid of it and the rest of the crap contained in NIS.
    >
    > Not to totally trash Norton, I use Ghost 9.x which I love. (snicker -
    > it's not really a Norton product, just one they bought and slapped
    > their name on it - they'll **** it up before too long).

    Please do totally trash Norton. People need to be warned.

    > I'm using AVG 7.0.x by the way. Should be the most current release.
    >
    > AVG is fast - quick turnaround on creating updates to identify new
    > viruses - and best of all, it's free.
    >
    > Additionally, I'm using Kerio as a adjunct firewall - mainly for
    > helping to monitor what goes *out*. My real firewall is a Netgear
    > ProSafe Wireless firewall that is also my router. A very tasty
    > device. Sadly, it's aged and I'll have to replace it soon with
    > something that supports WAP instead of WEP. Yeah, I know, it should
    > be done already...

    If you have broadband, any $40 router properly configured makes you
    essentially invisible on the internet because they don't reply to
    incoming port queries. They make excelent firewalls for that reason
    and because they implement IP masquerading.

    regards, Mathew

+ Reply to Thread