ERROR using gpg...(IDEA) - PGP

This is a discussion on ERROR using gpg...(IDEA) - PGP ; hope someone could help.... when I'm trying to decrypt an encrypted file I get this message: gpg: cipher algorithm 1 (IDEA) is unknown or disabled gpg: the IDEA cipher plugin is not present gpg: please see http://www.gnupg.org/why-not-idea.html for more information ...

  1. ERROR using gpg...(IDEA)

    hope someone could help....

    when I'm trying to decrypt an encrypted file I get this message:

    gpg: cipher algorithm 1 (IDEA) is unknown or disabled
    gpg: the IDEA cipher plugin is not present
    gpg: please see http://www.gnupg.org/why-not-idea.html for more
    information

    so I went to the web-site and downloaded the idea.c.gz and tried to
    compile it using the gcc compiler and I get this message:

    /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2/../../../crt1.o: In function
    `_start':
    /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2/../../../crt1.o(.text+0x18):
    undefined reference to `main'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

    any suggestions ??? Am I following the right steps to fix the first
    error ?

    thanks in advance..

  2. Re: ERROR using gpg...(IDEA)

    dorantes@mac.com writes:

    >/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2/../../../crt1.o: In function
    >`_start':
    >/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2/../../../crt1.o(.text+0x18):
    >undefined reference to `main'
    >collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

    The "idea.c" that I downloaded (a while back) contains the following
    comment:

    * How to compile:
    gcc -Wall -O2 -shared -fPIC -o idea idea.c

  3. Re: ERROR using gpg...(IDEA)

    tried that, but I get the same error, where does the idea executable
    need to be ? do I need to place any of the files downloaded or compiled
    into a certain directory ?

  4. Re: ERROR using gpg...(IDEA)

    Hi,

    > any suggestions ??? Am I following the right steps to fix the first
    > error ?

    Hmm. For me it works this way:

    Download source from Gnupg.org

    tar -xvzf gnupg-xxxx

    cp idea.c gnupg-xxxx/g10

    cd gnupg-xxxx

    ../configure
    make

    g10/gpg --version

    -> IDEA at first place

    Maybe your redhat compiler is something different?

  5. Re: ERROR using gpg...(IDEA)

    I'll try that, we are using RedHat version 8

    thanks

  6. Re: ERROR using gpg...(IDEA)

    linuxguru wrote:

    > tried that, but I get the same error, where does the idea executable
    > need to be ?

    Where all your shared libraries are. Since it's just a shared library.

    > do I need to place any of the files downloaded or compiled
    > into a certain directory ?

    Sure you do. Place it anywhere where linker can find it - on its path.
    The default derictories that linker searches are /lib and /usr/lib, you can
    change the behavior or add a new path by editing /etc/ld.so.conf
    Then update the linker cache by running 'ldconfig' (as root, of course)

    I've never compiled or used IDEA but that's how Linux shared libraries work.
    As a "linuxguru" you should know better

  7. Re: ERROR using gpg...(IDEA)

  8. Re: ERROR using gpg...(IDEA)

    Neil W Rickert wrote in
    news:AAOCe.1051$IG2.997@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com :

    >> tried that, but I get the same error, where does the idea
    >> executable need to be ?

    > I install gnupg in its own directory. Relative to that directory,
    > the idea plugin is in ./lib/gnupg
    >
    > I'm not sure where it goes if you take the default installation
    > paths, but perhaps it is in /usr/local/lib/gnupg

    I place the idea.dll file in the same folder as gpg.exe
    Don't forget to add the line:
    load-extension C:\Program Files\GnuPG\idea.dll
    to the gpg.conf file.

    HTH,
    John

  9. Re: ERROR using gpg...(IDEA)

  10. Re: ERROR using gpg...(IDEA)

    what about the signature, does it need to be verified ?

  11. Re: ERROR using gpg...(IDEA)

    what about the signature, does it need to be verified ? I'm all to new
    to the administration of a linux server so this is all pretty new to
    me, thanks for all of the help.

  12. Re: ERROR using gpg...(IDEA)

    got it working, looks like all I had to do is compile the idea.c
    program and add this line of text into the options (~/.gnupg/options)
    file:

    load-extension idea

    thanks for all the input...

+ Reply to Thread